As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailer for my short film. Now with Cannes action!

God_is_my_goldfishGod_is_my_goldfish Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
www.deathwrites.com/trailer.html

The festival-bound film is 8 minutes long, and follows the grim reaper as he's writing out the last moments of a guys life, only he can't make up his mind how he wants the guy to die, so he starts rewriting his death over and over, starting small, but eventually having meteors, black holes and other ridiculous things attack him.

Give it a look over, I know you can't tell much from it other than tone and story, but any feedback would be appreciated.

UPDATE: We've made it into Cannes' Short Film Corner. Not as prestigious as the main competition, but cool nonetheless.

God_is_my_goldfish on

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nice use of score, good shots/editing, looks good overall. My only negative thought would be that the font (the non-red one) is a bit plain, especially when it feels like the film has such a particular style, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Fun stuff.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think it looks really good!

my only crit would be that i think the red 'handwriting' looks a bit too childish/cartoon to be written by death. but, it's just a thought.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yarg...it's not working for me. Do you have this up on youtube or anything?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    r-jasper wrote: »
    my only crit would be that i think the red 'handwriting' looks a bit too childish/cartoon to be written by death. but, it's just a thought.

I agree with this crit. I think it's a neat concept that could play out entertainingly.

anable on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why did you decide to shoot on Super 16? It seems as if HD would have been perfectly appropriate for this short. However, beyond the technical, which I'm sure is at least competent, the story or what what I gather to be the story seems a bit predictable. Things such as the device of the boring morning routine of a middle class white male have been done to death, and the only people who still touch it are beginning film students. Even if the idea is for the initial action to seem boring, why choose something so predictable? There are plenty of other more imaginative/ compelling/ unexpected boring things out there. In the same vein, why make the image of the grim reaper so predictable? Why desire to fulfill all of the audiences expectations? Didn't you notice that modern successful films like No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood completely dash the average audience's expectation? I mean, I'm sure the film gets wacky enough, judging by the unexplained grenade being tossed into a kitchen, but on it's foundation of predictable images and narrative devices I don't think this film will stick out. It looks done well enough, but as a professor of mine once said, "It's better to have an interesting failure than a boring success." I hope I'm not being an ass, I love film and any sort of moving image on the forum is very exciting to me. I'm jealous you get to do this stuff.

MEADONE on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That is some damn fine concept art on your page.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    God_is_my_goldfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Only bumping to let you guys know we made it into Cannes' Short Film Corner.

God_is_my_goldfish on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Damn! Good job!

What was the budget like? Was it a project for film school?

Virum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Budget was about 3 grand for production, we shot it for our independent project at Columbia College Chicago, though all that means is that Columbia provided the equipment.

God_is_my_goldfish on
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Love the concept. I was sold before I even watched the trailer. Very creative and ingenious little idea.
    MEADONE wrote: »
    Why did you decide to shoot on Super 16? It seems as if HD would have been perfectly appropriate for this short. However, beyond the technical, which I'm sure is at least competent, the story or what what I gather to be the story seems a bit predictable. Things such as the device of the boring morning routine of a middle class white male have been done to death, and the only people who still touch it are beginning film students. Even if the idea is for the initial action to seem boring, why choose something so predictable? There are plenty of other more imaginative/ compelling/ unexpected boring things out there. In the same vein, why make the image of the grim reaper so predictable? Why desire to fulfill all of the audiences expectations? Didn't you notice that modern successful films like No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood completely dash the average audience's expectation? I mean, I'm sure the film gets wacky enough, judging by the unexplained grenade being tossed into a kitchen, but on it's foundation of predictable images and narrative devices I don't think this film will stick out. It looks done well enough, but as a professor of mine once said, "It's better to have an interesting failure than a boring success." I hope I'm not being an ass, I love film and any sort of moving image on the forum is very exciting to me. I'm jealous you get to do this stuff.

Dude, I think you're reading way too much into this. For the kind of feel this film seems to be going for (and especially considering it's a short film, not a long and drawn out epic with perplexing twists), I think the iconic portrayal of the reaper is perfect, as is the average slob-like white guy as the unlucky protagonist.

Kudos.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    nemesis92nemesis92 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked it.
    and although the red writing may not be the best, keep the writing idea because it fits perfectly.
    very good job.

nemesis92 on
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm not really sure it's fair to compare an 8 minute short to two of the greatest films of the year... much less the trailer of that short. I'm all for critical reviews of things but c'mon. Your complaints really revolve around the fact that he didn't show a trailer for the film you wanted to make.

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard
    That seems a bit unfair rvcontre. He's not asking you to make his movie, he's just asking you to not play into stereotypes and give the audience exactly what they expect. I'll admit that I thought it was a neat premise that was executed with sub par potential. I think he was just being a bit more diplomatic about it.

anable on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    rvcontre78 wrote: »

I'm not really sure it's fair to compare an 8 minute short to two of the greatest films of the year... much less the trailer of that short. I'm all for critical reviews of things but c'mon. Your complaints really revolve around the fact that he didn't show a trailer for the film you wanted to make.
    There's no reason he should make what I want him to make, but I've seen so many short films produced by film student and too many lately have that dark saturday morning cartoon feel, and I swear the same friggin score. he should make the film he wants to make, something with an original vision.

MEADONE on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why did you decide to shoot on Super 16? It seems as if HD would have been perfectly appropriate for this short.

Because festivals take you more seriously when you shoot on film and also because it's good experience if you want to work with film in the industry, I imagine.

Virum on
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    rvcontre78 wrote: »

There's no reason he should make what I want him to make, but I've seen so many short films produced by film student and too many lately have that dark saturday morning cartoon feel, and I swear the same friggin score. he should make the film he wants to make, something with an original vision.

Why isn't what he's made his original vision? I ate a hamburger yesterday. Although a nice roasted lamb with some summer squash and couscous might have more flavor I still ate the shit out of that burger.

rvcontre78 on
    anable wrote: »
    That seems a bit unfair rvcontre. He's not asking you to make his movie, he's just asking you to not play into stereotypes and give the audience exactly what they expect. I'll admit that I thought it was a neat premise that was executed with sub par potential. I think he was just being a bit more diplomatic about it.

The poster I was replying to stated that he could already tell how predictable the film was going to be from the trailer and then started comparing it to If There Was Blood and No Country for Old Men. I'll admit, I went on the attack and got defensive. But I don't think that playing into stereotypes and giving the audience what they expect necessarily means a film shouldn't be made. It's just more about execution. Going against what the audience expects just on principle without any other intent can come off as contrived. M. Night Shyamalan comes to mind. So why won't I comment on the execution of his short? Because I haven't seen it yet. What was posted was a trailer and the only conclusions from it are predictions. Is that why it seems predictable? That's just an off-handed comment but there may be just a little truth to it.

rvcontre78 on
    i have nothing constructive to offer up, just some kudos and well wishing, the trailer is great, i can't wait to see the whole film :)

beavotron on