As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Solicitations for June 2008

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, I thought Robin's future as Batman was the bad Dystopian future. Or are we going to forget terrible Titans arcs?

I doubt they're making Tim Batman

but they can just say "oh well he doesn't go bad" if they do

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    damn Lopresti's WW is fucking ripped.

He didnt draw Ms. Marvel like that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Wait, I thought Robin's future as Batman was the bad Dystopian future. Or are we going to forget terrible Titans arcs?

I still can't believe how idiotic the "epilogue' was. Why does anyone good ever trust Luthor ever?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    damn Lopresti's WW is fucking ripped.

He didnt draw Ms. Marvel like that.

I think it's right

the only problem, as I said, is that she has no boobs. I'm not even saying "dang she needs big ol titties"

it just looks like a man chest

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I still can't believe how idiotic the "epilogue' was. Why does anyone good ever trust Luthor ever?

Bat-Tim: "You're going to be bad!"
    Robin-Tim: "No I won't!"
    Bat-Tim: "Fight me!"
    Plot-point: Tim defeats himself and won't be bad!
    Epilogue: Tim's gonna be bad!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Clock King on the Teen Titans cover freaks me right the fuck out.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    lshcy_cv15.jpg
    hahaha YEEEEESSSSSS

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bmos_cv8_solicit.jpg

ac_cv866_solicit.jpg

gabc_cv9_solicit.jpg

Gotta say, I like these covers.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm glad Chuck Dixon is giving Cass some time in the Outsiders spotlight.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm amazed that the rips in her costume aren't exposing incredible amounts of cleavage. What is this artist thinking, defying industry norms like that!?!

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the outsiders cover is great looking except for whatever is going on with Ollie's right arm

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think it was just roughed in and left unfinished because it's probably being cut out of the actual printing.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bm_gam_cv2_solicit.jpg

Geez, Bats is really in for a tough time this summer!

bmstr_cv46_solicit.jpg

I love that cover. Looks great.

BOOSTER GOLD #10
    Written by Geoff Johns & Jeff Katz
    Art and cover by Dan Jurgens & Norm Rapmund
    In order to correct the past and save the future, Booster Gold faces a startling reality — someone from his past must live and someone must die! Can the greatest hero the world has never known do what must be done to save all of time?

...Ted? D:

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    fls_cv241_solicit.jpg

This should be interesting

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gah, the little prick should have stayed on ice for another year or two.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    He's still on that statue. I don't know why it's falling down the steps.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He's still on that statue. I don't know why it's falling down the steps.

Because dudes with guns are dragging it down the steps with rope, I guess.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    oh

i didn't see the rope

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God, I hadn't read the solicitation for Batman:
    Part 3 of “Batman R.I.P.”! Batman’s mysterious adversary has won. All is lost for the Dark Knight. Bruce Wayne is now deranged and dissociated, wandering homeless in the alleys of Gotham City. Is there a chance that Bruce can rebuild his Batman identity from scratch, or is this truly the end for one of the world’s finest heroes?

This... sounds like it's going to be pretty major.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I hope Batman R.I.P. dosen't get drawn out over like a year like the 3 Batmen stuff.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The idea of any Flash fighting people with guns is ridiculous. Someone once snuck up on Wally and tried to shoot him in the back of the head. He didn't react until the bullet was touching his skin, and still vibrated his molecules enough for it to pass through him. A guy who runs at lightspeed vs bullets, which move slightly above the speed of sound. No contest.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah here is the text solicit for Flash
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A tidal wave of psychic terror sends Keystone’s citizenry on a superpowered looting spree at the Flash Museum — and The Flash is forced to relive painful memories while defending it![/FONT]

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I hope Batman R.I.P. dosen't get drawn out over like a year like the 3 Batmen stuff.

Especially with Final Crisis and Trinity going on simultaneously. I imagine that it'll probably be pretty much done by the end of the summer, maybe running into the fall a little bit?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The idea of any Flash fighting people with guns is ridiculous. Someone once snuck up on Wally and tried to shoot him in the back of the head. He didn't react until the bullet was touching his skin, and still vibrated his molecules enough for it to pass through him. A guy who runs at lightspeed vs bullets, which move slightly above the speed of sound. No contest.

wally ran into a sword once

fuck you brad meltzer

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It sounds like they're possibly going to make Batman an urban legend again.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I think this is meant to serve as a logical conclusion to the Batman mythos, with Bruce fighting an embodiment of crime itself and his polar opposite. If he succeeds, it could mean an end to serious crime in Gotham altogether.

To me, such a story can only end with Bruce concluding his career as Batman. After all, the Batman identity was created to combat that which cost him his parents and, having won against this force, Bruce will no longer need Batman.

After that, Batman will deal with who Bruce Wayne is when he stops being Batman and, once they get tired of that, something awful will happen and he'll put the mask on again.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

god that was always so dumb

everyone in the world knew about batman except for Gothamites who thought he was a myth

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    how would everyone know about Batman?

that some people would consider him an urban legend is actually pretty logical

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

early on in his career is logical

but when you've got villains all over who have fought him countless times

and a spotlight the lights up the skies when he's needed

it just gets a bit ridiculous having everyone in gotham unsure about him being real

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

wally ran into a sword once

fuck you brad meltzer

In all honesty, I would probably like the Flash better if his powers were such that those sorts of things could actually happen. While the Deathstroke fight was maybe kind of dumb from a real, hardcore fan's perspective, knowing full well that the Flash can vibrate himself to dodge anything he wants and travel between dimensions and basically be all-powerful, it is kind of more fun when heroes actually have to worry about things every now and then. Identity Crisis was actually one of the first superhero comics I ever read, and I had absolutely no problems with the fight at the time. Looking back on it now, sure, I see all of the flaws, but I can't say I really blame Meltzer for writing it like that, given the... "realistic," prime time TV-feel of the series.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Flash isn't all powerful, Geoff Johns was able to write him in such a way that villains like Heatwave, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Murmur et al were actually threatening to him without also making Wally dumb enough to run himself through with a fucking sword

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bale posted what I was about to. I mean, people with regular human reflexes were able to counter Flash's powers without Flash being portrayed as a total idiot. Area effects are particularly problematic for him.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    but I can't say I really blame Meltzer for writing it like that, given the... "realistic," prime time TV-feel of the series.

Except the point of that scene wasn't to bring the heroes "down to earth", it was to make Deathstroke look super dangerous.

Which he could have done while still keeping everyone else in check. But Meltzer doesn't care about anyone's continuity but his own.

And sometimes he doesn't even care about that!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

early on in his career is logical

but when you've got villains all over who have fought him countless times

and a spotlight the lights up the skies when he's needed

it just gets a bit ridiculous having everyone in gotham unsure about him being real

People believe the holocaust and 9/11 is an urban legend. It's not entirely unrealistic that people think a man who dresses as bat and fights crime, but who doesn't have any real documented footage based on him, would be widely considered an urban legend.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the JLA is not an urban legend

Batman has been a prominent figure in the JLA

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And really, conspiracy theorists are 'people' but not 'the people' in a broad sense.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the JLA is not an urban legend

Batman has been a prominent figure in the JLA

I haven't read much pre-War Games JLA stuff (when he became "fact" in Gotham), but in Young Justice they always had Robin hiding away from the public so nobody knew he existed.

Like when they were flying to see Arowette at the Olympics and a plane was next to them, Secret covered him up so they thought she was driving the Super Cycle.

And during Sins of Youth he was hiding on top of a building a fair bits away (along with Batman).

But then you had the scene with Aquaman and Neptune, where Arthur says "It's even more likely they'll feel that way when they're young super-heroes living in a world of "good guys" and "bad guys" with nothing in between." and Neptune says, "Batman notwithstanding." and Aquaman says, "Urban legend. Doesn't count." prompting Neptune to say a sarcastic, "Riiiight."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I thought there wasn't so much a question as to Batman's existence as there was one in regards to his nature. Is he one guy, multiple guys, a concerned citizen, a secret police force, a demon, an unhinged vigilante, a goofy man with gadgets, or something else altogether? More or less, I'd have thought that the public's view of him was akin to what was shown in that episode of BTAS where the group of children each share their own vision of the figure only to find out that they're all right in some respects and wrong in others.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Flash isn't all powerful, Geoff Johns was able to write him in such a way that villains like Heatwave, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Murmur et al were actually threatening to him without also making Wally dumb enough to run himself through with a fucking sword

Well, I mean, as I said, in continuity, no, it makes no fucking sense that Flash would run himself through a sword.

At the same time, though, I see how it might also be logical that someone with super speed would be unable to really control himself running towards an enemy, such that if Deathstroke stuck his weapon out at the right moment, he might not be able to respond in time. *shrug*

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

Well, I mean, as I said, in continuity, no, it makes no fucking sense that Flash would run himself through a sword.

At the same time, though, I see how it might also be logical that someone with super speed would be unable to really control himself running towards an enemy, such that if Deathstroke stuck his weapon out at the right moment, he might not be able to respond in time. *shrug*
    Part of Flash's superspeed is super-reflexes

Fencingsax on