As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Perfect World] A very pretty free MMO you should check out if you're into free stuff

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can anyone answer a quick question about this game? Why is it free? Is it instanced like Guild Wars? Or is it in a long running open beta? Or is it one of those games that's free, but you have to spend real money to buy some items in the game? Or are they just making this game out of the kindness of their hearts?
    You can buy some items from a cash shop, there are some faster mounts, some shinier mounts and some fashion items. That's about it. I have been playing this game on and off for several weeks without feeling I was missing out because I didn't purchase anything.

I'm not sure how they finance their organisation, I doubt the cash shop is making them enough profit to float on and their website isn't plastered with ads. Hmm.

Norgoth: go to your quest log and click the button in the top left to look for quests you can do. If you don't know where something is you can fill in the coordinates by clicking on the tracer menu attached to your minimap (green icon on the bottom right of the minimap)

*edit: I forgot the items that give you a bigger inventory etc. But you can also buy these items from other players or exchange gold for cubipoints so you can purchase these items yourself.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Real money for extra items that while cool, are totally unnecessary a la maplestory.

Edit: have you guys seen this (Starter Pack)? http://www.perfectworld.com.my/ann-feat03_starterpack.asp

The website errors out when I try.
    Works in firefox. I'm checking it out now...

Right, you need a promotion code to make that work. Probably after you give them money. :P

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Probably available in shops where you can buy CubiGold.

Seg on
  • sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah, i had made a comment to my friend on the subject of how they are making money, somewhere around the lines of, "Whoever made this isn't getting paid enough". I hope we're not funding terrorism unwittingly...

Bum Bum Buuuuuuuuuuuuum...

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
    edited March 2008
    yeah, i had made a comment to my friend on the subject of how they are making money, somewhere around the lines of, "Whoever made this isn't getting paid enough". I hope we're not funding terrorism unwittingly...

Bum Bum Buuuuuuuuuuuuum...
    Nawwwww, the Malaysian flag looks too much like America's.

Aldo on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, can anyone give me some detail on the controls? Right now the only thing stopping me from downloading the torrent and registering is the people taking issues with the control scheme. If there was at least an ini file to tinker with I'd be encouraged to jump in.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • BloodMuffinBloodMuffin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Controls are alright I guess... W,S,A,D to move around or by clicking. No way to make hotkeys outside of your f1-f9 to my knowledge. Oh, and have fun if you use a widescreen monitor, it won't even scale with mine even with the widescreen checked it just puts huge black bars that make it look awful when I do that. Running it in windowed mode until they fix it.

Also I wish I could be a werefox and still be a warrior or archer. Humans are just too meh.

BloodMuffin on
    edited March 2008
    Also I wish I could be a werefox and still be a warrior or archer. Humans are just too meh.

smells like a furry to me

*slides out Guy Fawkes mask*

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN

but enough of that, the controls are fine, it's more the the second inbetween when you push a key and when that action happens that is bothering people. but that's only in combat, regular movement is streamline and not problomatic.

sleepdeamon on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No way to make hotkeys outside of your f1-f9 to my knowledge.
    You can open a hotbar that registers the 1-0 keys instead. It may be on the right side of the screen, or you may need to turn it on somewhere first.

Glal on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Where the hell is the box for the light jumper quest in ethersword city?

Norgoth on
    edited March 2008
    Lightness Move?

On the other side of the building the Drunk Warrior is standing for.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    No way to make hotkeys outside of your f1-f9 to my knowledge.
    You can open a hotbar that registers the 1-0 keys instead. It may be on the right side of the screen, or you may need to turn it on somewhere first.

it should be on already, it's just on the side of the screen. there's a symbol on the bar you can hit and it will rotate it so you can move it down to the bottom. can you make it register 0-9? i only see 1-6 on it.

sleepdeamon on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I've reached level 20 with my EP and suddenly, I'm having a bastard of a time. I can kill one thing my level or just below it, but it takes around a minute of frenzied spellcasting, then I have to rest for about 5 minutes just to regain the mana. And when I have to kill 30 for a quest, well.... :(.

I suppose I could just invest like crazy in mana potions, but am I doing something wrong here? Is there some magical piece of armor or weapon I should be paying more attention to? Or is this just a case of "congratulations, this is what happens when you roll an Elf Priest!"?

sidhaethe on
    edited March 2008
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Okay, I've reached level 20 with my EP and suddenly, I'm having a bastard of a time. I can kill one thing my level or just below it, but it takes around a minute of frenzied spellcasting, then I have to rest for about 5 minutes just to regain the mana. And when I have to kill 30 for a quest, well.... :(.

I suppose I could just invest like crazy in mana potions, but am I doing something wrong here? Is there some magical piece of armor or weapon I should be paying more attention to? Or is this just a case of "congratulations, this is what happens when you roll an Elf Priest!"?

Are you still using that quest weapon from level 14? If so try to find an upgrade, either through getting that level 19 FB done, crafting or outright buying it.

I noticed a nice difference in my killing speed when I started using a level 18 weapon someone gave me.

Seg on
    edited March 2008
    yeah, I'm having to compete with EP's while im trying to finish my quests outside of dragon city. they are not having any trouble kill stealing from under me

sleepdeamon on
    edited March 2008
    There's a lot of ways you can screw yourself over with in this game: did you buy the wrong skills and do you not have enough SP to buy the skills that hasten the killing? Did you put points in stats that aren't really useful right now?

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    @ Seg:

Hmmm, I looked at the next most powerful weapons and I don't meet the str requirement (mine's 11; they require 12) :(.

@ Aldo:

I'm using the Hybrid EP build posted to the AsiaPworld site, so I thought I'd be okay despite sacrificing pure nuking power. I have all my offensive skills trained up as far possible (level 3 at the moment).... Int 60, Con 35, Str 11, Agi 10.

Bleh. Right now I'm training up my tailoring and blacksmithing skills while I psych myself up for more grind.

sidhaethe on
    edited March 2008
    if you're really at a loss you might be able to convince a warrior to team up with. Or just grind some lower level mobs, they still net a lot of EXP.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    haha yeah, don't fuck up your points, so far i've been putting 2 into con, 2 into int and 1 into strength every time i lvl, this is only after i hit lvl 15, before it was 1 con, 3 int and 1 str. I'm at around 45'ish con 76int and 18str and 5agi, it works fine since i can drop a mob in 3-4 casts currently.

Made up my mind on my skills though, I'm going fire, with enough in water for healing and the weapon buff, and earth shorten from the earth tree. should be pritty good for group and single grinding, and AoE'ing mobs in instances.

i should probably look at some previous builds from that forum you mentioned and compare a few things.

sleepdeamon on
    edited March 2008
    Oh my, a patch

Seg on
    edited March 2008
    ahh fudge

sleepdeamon on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You guys think its worth stacking Agil on a warrior to go for a fast attack/High number of crits, rather than a high strength build?

Norgoth on
    edited March 2008
    Norgoth wrote: »
    You guys think its worth stacking Agil on a warrior to go for a fast attack/High number of crits, rather than a high strength build?
    An agi build is a viable build. Although you will be more dependent on dodging than with a str build you will still be able to rip through enemies like woah. 3agi/1str/1con should be good.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    on my warrior 2str/2agi/1con is working pritty good, he's lvl 19 uses fist/claw works all very well together

sleepdeamon on
    edited March 2008
    (well i figure i should bunp this before it falls off the first page)

any other casters notice the huge difference between magic attack based creature and magical attack based creatures? I'm tired of having to heal after every fight.

sleepdeamon on
    edited March 2008
    So at the times I have been playing, I haven't been seeing anyone else from the guild online. Are there still people playing?

Seg on
    edited March 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    So at the times I have been playing, I haven't been seeing anyone else from the guild online. Are there still people playing?
    It's still on my PC, but I'm not really playing it any more.

Iunno, this is a good game, but I kinda have the feeling I've seen it all. I know that's not really the case, I haven't done anything in PvP, I don't even have a mount. Still, I'm done with it at the moment. It doesn't help that I'm having a great time playing FF8. :P

Aldo on
  • NidaNida Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've just been too busy with work @w@

Nida on
    edited March 2008
    yeah, i've been pritty busy as well...

also i played for about 4 days without seeing anyone else log on so i kind of just stopped playing, lvl 28 though!!

sleepdeamon on
    edited March 2008
    I'm feeling less inspired to play when I log in and nobody else is on, too. But I've also been swayed by the sweet, sweet pipeweed of LOTRO at the moment.

sidhaethe on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    I'm feeling less inspired to play when I log in and nobody else is on, too. But I've also been swayed by the sweet, sweet pipeweed of LOTRO at the moment.

This.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • duonguyenduonguyen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Finally been able to play, going werebeast
    name: DuoNguyen

duonguyen on
  • XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm I'm thinking of jumping over from Cabal Online to here since it looks like it has better graphics and gameplay (Cabal has a lot of breadth but little depth), so I've got a couple of questions for you guys who've been playing it for awhile:
    1. How are active are you guys at the moment?
    2. Can you suggest a class to start off that has a balance in PvE and PvP? I don't intend to do much PvPing but I'd still prefer one that isn't totally useless, and I hate those classes which are gods in PvP but take ages to level up.

Xanathus on
    edited March 2008
    1. I'm inactive, I will probably go back once I've wrapped some other stuff I'm doing.
    2. What I understand of it: every class has it's merits in PvP, depending on how you allocate your skills and stats. I'd just play whatever class sounds like the most fun to you.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Reading the past few pages I can see that the game is drying up on people here, and the crappy registration system is not sending out activation emails so I've totally lost all interest.

Xanathus on
    edited March 2008
    Xanathus wrote: »
    Reading the past few pages I can see that the game is drying up on people here, and the crappy registration system is not sending out activation emails so I've totally lost all interest.
    It's a fun game, really. Just not something you're going to play 24/7.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    It is fun for awhile, but the horrible translation and people wanting to show off their PvPness does hurt the experience.

But for a game that is free, I am sure it is one of the best options available.

Seg on
    edited March 2008
    Well I've finally got things set up, I'm running around as NotAFurry, a WereFox because I read that they make a lot of extra cash.

Xanathus on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Make a Werebeast alt called Denial.

:winky:

Glal on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's not a game you set up a life with, like Wow or COX. It's just a free decent game to mess around with when you feel like a bit of an mmo or don't have anything else to do.

I've got internet back! :) Have been capped for over a week so didn't even bother to try playing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.