As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DND] Is there even a playerbase?

Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Does anybody play this game? I am building a computer and I am planning to jump into EVE but I would really like to play some D&D Online too, if only to explore the world of Eberron . . .

Does it breathe?

Regicid3 on

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well I've never played it... and I do not know much about the player base however from what I've heard... hm, I know a good way to explain it. Think of D&D Online as a mudskipper... it breathes and it moves... but its always covered in mud and just looked real odd when moving around, now to compare to another game by Turbine, LotRO which is like a basilisk. It can ran across water, it is pretty much jesus incarnated as a lizard.

I think that makes sense.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played the trial, or perhaps the beta, I can't remember which. I do know that its leveling is based rather heavily on dungeons, which, given the name of the game isn't extraordinary. It uh, looked pretty, and was pretty close to D&D seeing as they own it, but the world itself? I haven't heard much in regards to that, nor have I seen any when I was in it. Nice ranked-leveling system, but just another dungeoncrawl.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    just go to your local pc gaming house or hobby shop, set up a cheetohs and mountain dew up on a table and put a net over it out of site.

come back a few hours later and anyone you've captured in it is your new D&D buddy, no need to muck around with an old rutty online game.

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Go pen and paper. Seriously, DDO fails to show you the magnificence of Eberron.

No Karnnath, no Sharn, no psionics. Just some dungeons in Xen'drick. But it is your decision, check the trial.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, my best friend works at a hobby shop and it is impossible to organize a decent D&D game there, but that is besides the point. I am a fan of Eberron and am interested in just exploring a 3D representation of it and I'm hoping there is at least a decent number of people playing. It would be better if they came from here too . . .

:O

Regicid3 on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Go pen and paper. Seriously, DDO fails to show you the magnificence of Eberron.

No Karnnath, no Sharn, no psionics. Just some dungeons in Xen'drick. But it is your decision, check the trial.

Oh . . .

Nothing? Damn . . . I have a few Eberron 3.5 books and have read Keith Baker's trilogy and I love them all.

Regicid3 on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actually just picked up the special edition box of DDO incredibly cheap, and I'm rather looking forward to trying it out for a month.

If anyone here does still play, could you roughly estimate how much of the game can be experienced in a month? I'm not really sure how DDO compares to other MMOs in terms of how much content it has and how long it takes to play through whatever storyline the game has. I'm not talking about getting max level or phat lewt, just what percentage of the core dungeons/missions/whatever I could play through at a fairly casual pace in 30 days with little grinding. Of course, if I like it I'd be willing to play longer.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When the game was released you could get through the bulk of the worthwhile content in less than a month, literally. I cleared the highest dungeon in the game 4 levels under reccomended as part of a party.

Apparently they have been adding a ton of content over the past year or so, the level cap is now 16, 6 higher than release, but that hardly suggests there is meat on the bones, as most people around release were finishing the game at level 7-8.

The game is OK. It's probably best played with a regular group of people so you can experience the content to its fullest. The only time I went back to it I got into two groups and both of them were "speed runs" where everyone except me knew exactly where every trap, NPC and pitfall was and the whole thing just came off as lame.

There are just too many things about it that are "meh".

If you liked Guild Wars, DDO is a more depthful version of that with better level design.

Except Guild Wars has no montly.

Jasconius on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played the trial when it was first available, and the level cap was 10 back then. I was level 8 after the 14 days.

Somehow I didn't end up buying the game.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DDO was kind of fun for a few hours, but it isn't something worth buying or investing time in. The lack of a playerbase alone should give you a hint on how unpopular this thing is. This and Matrix Online are the red-headed stepchildren of this generation's MMOs. They are not bad games, but they are just not strong enough to keep people's attention. Maybe you're that one father who likes fondling with his red-headed stepchild, but I doubt it.

Aldo on
  • GaruGaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have a soft spot for DDO. It definitely has its faults, but it does have some redeeming qualities. When you go into a dungeon, since you can only rest a certain number of times you have a very finite amount of resources. Consequently, there is a definite element of strategy in coming up with a resource efficient way of getting through. I can see why people wouldn't like that, but I think it adds a much needed element of strategy to the MMO formula. Also, the character creation system is elaborate and meaningful. It is quite possible to have a viable character build different from anyone else you meet in game (insert player population joke here). Finally, Turbine is great at adding free content regularly and the engine itself has a nice, sort of actiony feel to it.

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to play it regularly or recommend it to just anyone. The population is cripplingly low, and in virtually every group you find, most of the people will already know how to get through a dungeon and you'll feel like you're just tagging along for the ride. Soloing is pretty much a complete waste of time and it can be tricky to find an appropriate group. All that being said, though, if you can get a group of 4-6 players together and agree to only play the game together, I can't imagine a better MMO experience currently on the market. The dungeons are genuinely interesting and completing one is a far more rewarding feeling than standard MMO grinding. If I have been able to rally some friends to this, I would probably be playing.

Garu on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I didn't much like their rest system. Put hours into an instance, only to be unable to complete the very last part (usually the only part with decent loot) because you used up your one or two rest shrines several hours ago. woooooops!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gabe and Tycho summarized where the game is at right now fairly recently:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/28

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]