As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Question] Is there a good Sci-Fi MMO? ... Besides EVE?

VathrisVathris Baconist@EndofTimeRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Topic.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am trying to leave WoW and head to a Sci-Fi MMO. The problem is, there seems to only be a few out there and I have found mixed reviews on all of them. So I thought I would ask you guys which game(s) would you recommend I try?

BTW I like PvP over PvE any day.

The list I am looking at includes:
Planet Side

Matrix Online

Tabula Rasa

Anarchy Online

If there are any others I don't know about please let me know.

Thanks guys,

Vathris on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Read some stats on MMO subscriptions.

It also noted that about 2% of MMOs are scifi, and 90% are fantasy. Yay, stagnation!

Echo on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Planet Side was fun, but only playing it lightly every now and then for "Hey let's shoot shit up!" As I recall though, one of the expansions really imbalanced the game by giving one side gundams or something.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Planetside was tons of fun, though there wasn't really much variety in the gameplay.

Also, I couldn't shoot for shit while playing on US servers, so I hopped in an anti-air MAX and fired homing missiles at aircraft instead. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played tab. rasa in beta and it was pretty carebear with a total lack of pvp and really a lack of anykind of differentiation in the skills and classes in general.I don't think they put in PvP but then again I haven't really followed it . They undoubtedly have had to tighten up the rest by now. maybe not though.

so yeah I'm not much help I guess but I am looking for a wow substitute as well so lemme know if theres something you find awesome and wanna team up? I'm coming up empty.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    City of Heroes/Villians isn't quite sci-fi, but it does have some sci-fi elements.

Seg on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    WTB World of Starcraft...

rumor has it that there's a new Star Wars mmo in the works.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, that's not coming out soon. From the 3 he listed that weren't planetside, I've heard all of those are pretty much "ass" (Except for AO, which is supposed to be good, but is very very dated)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, that's not coming out soon. From the 3 he listed that weren't planetside, I've heard all of those are pretty much "ass" (Except for AO, which is supposed to be good, but is very very dated)

Didn't AO announce that they were doing a graphics overhaul?

And I get the impression that if I want sci-fi I need EVE yes?

Vathris on
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vathris wrote: »

Didn't AO announce that they were doing a graphics overhaul?

And I get the impression that if I want sci-fi I need EVE yes?

Yes.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=51187&highlight=anarchy+online

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, Perpetual sold the license to a shell company called P2. Dan Stapleton, an editor from PC gamer, speculated that Cryptic (another Bay Area dev) is going to pick it up. I think that's pretty much 100% rumor at this point though since they've declined to comment on it.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    meatflower wrote: »

Well, Perpetual sold the license to a shell company called P2. Dan Stapleton, an editor from PC gamer, speculated that Cryptic (another Bay Area dev) is going to pick it up. I think that's pretty much 100% rumor at this point though since they've declined to comment on it.

You're talking about Star Trek, not Wars.

devoir on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    meatflower wrote: »

You're talking about Star Trek, not Wars.

Indeed I am. Reading comprehension...scratch that, just reading...fail. Still, pretty darn close ( as far as rumored sci fi MMO's, not the franchises ).

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want an AvP MMO. :(

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Read some stats on MMO subscriptions.
    It also noted that about 2% of MMOs are scifi, and 90% are fantasy. Yay, stagnation!
    It doesn't help that most SciFi MMOs seem to have a hard-on for space marines. Yeah, I really want to play a generic human soldier amid thousands of other generic human soldiers.

Glal on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's always Ryzom. It's a pretty unique Sci-fi MMO with a number of interesting mechanics and decent graphics. I played it for a little while; some of it feels sort of dated/shoddy, but other parts of it are incredibly well envisioned and executed. It has a strong crafting component and a pretty neat combat/skill system.

http://www.ryzom.com/

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ryzom has a very interesting crafting system, but I never played enough to get to areas where I killed stuff other than big dragonflies and cute little piglets. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    There's always Ryzom. It's a pretty unique Sci-fi MMO with a number of interesting mechanics and decent graphics. I played it for a little while; some of it feels sort of dated/shoddy, but other parts of it are incredibly well envisioned and executed. It has a strong crafting component and a pretty neat combat/skill system.

http://www.ryzom.com/
    Actually, that one is supposed to go into liquidation. One french server is up but nobody knows why ,the other two servers where shut down.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    With all the new technology I'd like to see squaresoft do a new Final Fantasy MMO with a cyberpunk theme. FFXI is a cash cow for them but I've never played it. I've played all the standalone games and while FFXI did appeal to me at one time, I feel that things have advanced so far that the community would be sparse. I don't want to play an MMO so I can solo through it all! + it's fantasy anyways.

I got heavy into WoW (ended December '07) but before that it was 1.5 years on EvE and 1 year on Ryzom. I really enjoyed the live events of Ryzom, but it was just to much sand and not enough toys to play with unlike EvE.

A Cyberpunk Final Fantasy MMO with updated graphics would be tits though.

Also consider the jumpgate evolution is coming out in the next year or three lol. The original jumpgate was a great flying experience. The economy wasn't as great as EvE's but you actually piloted your ship and you could collide with things. In EvE you can't hide behind a roid. In JgE it will be a tactic of choice. The old game is still up and I've got a subscription but I hardly play it. I've been thinking of dumping it.

Hembot on
  • Options
    VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well when I get home I guess I will take part of EVE & Steams extended trial of the game. I may also get a Matrix online trial too to see how the game plays.

Also if any of you play EVE please check out the noob thread here and look at my build post and let me know if my build is any good, tonka!

Vathris on