As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Comics: Game History (Random, right?)NSF56K

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Woo hoo, I always wanted to do a mega thread. Hopefully I can do it without fucking up too bad.
Here goes!
5cgfis.jpg
Marvel, as you should know, is a fantastic maker of graphic novels, and has been for some time> Some of the best heroes have come from Marvel, like The Avengers, Fantastic Four, The X-Men, Spiderman, and of course Moon Knight.
Of course, since comics can't possible be confined to one media, it has been in vidja gaymez since their inception. In this thread, I will give a 'brief' review of Marvel games in history, trying to include all major releases. Why? Because I'm bored, crazy, and love Marvel and video games.

Shitty Early Games.
The Questprobe series was released in 1978 for the Atari, and later re-released on a bunch of other equally old systemd (C64, Apple II, etc). There were three games, based on The Hulk, Spiderman, and another based solely on the Human Torch and The Thing (Why not the rest of the F4??). It sucked (text-based!), but if you don't believe me, lookie here:
questprobe_2_spiderman_01.gif
9881.jpg
qprobe1001.png

Less Shitty Arcade Games!
Captain America and the Avengers is an old school side-scrollin' brawler. Obviously, you can choose Cap or Hawkeye, Vision, or the perpetual drunk, Iron Man! This game was super awesome in Arcades, and it came out on SNES and Genesis too. Other system had it, but those versions SUCKED.
Captain_America_and_the_Avengers_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg
Captain_America_&_the_Avengers-2.png

X-Men the Arcade game was very similar to Cap & Pals, but this time it's by Konami, and, as attested by the kickass TMNT games, this one is pretty damn fun. You can choose from a few characters, but it doesn't matter; If you don't get Wolverine or Colossus you're fucked. Even if Nightcrawler has the coolest power.
2rdezro.gif
xmenarcade-1.jpg

The Punisher
is another side-scroller, but with GUNS! Also, only two player. But! That lucky #2 is NICK FUCKIN' FURY, the cigar chompin' badass of SHIELD.
arcade4.jpg
275px-Thepunisher2.png
And a very speedy into GIF:
punisher_story.gif

Sweet Fightin' Games
Can't make this thread without mentioning Marvel Vs. Capcom, and it's sequel. While hacing the most bitchin'-est roster EVER, the balance was kinda fucked and the stage variety blows. But, still worth seeing Megaman kick the SHIT out of the Cap. Was in arcades, and also on PS2 and Dreamcast!

me000024855721jj3Y1A.jpg
Marvel%20vs.%20Capcom%20-%20Clash%20of%20Super%20Heroes%20(2).gif

Then there's the not so great fighting games...
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects is a game in the vein of Power Stone. I say this in that you run around in a 3-D space and fight using objects in the environment. But this is wrong, since Power Stone kicked ass, and this game didn't. It did create a slew of some cool and some really really fucking dumb characters, most of which were actually rip-offs of already made characters. Had a cool tie-in comic, though.
marvel-nemesis-rise-imperfects-2.jpg
5442_2_N1.jpg
game36-1.jpg

Recent games the totally DIDN'T suck huge pails of cock
SPIDERMAN! Sick-nasty game that showed how to do a super hero game RIGHT. Released on a but ton of systems, it was goood. Great controls, fun gameplay (Aside from that fucking last boss), and narration by STAN THE MAN LEE. Also, had sweet unlockables like a Capitan Universe costume.
g09729dfchb.jpg
spiderman.jpg

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Buy it. It's fucking awesome. Tube recently did a thread on it, basically sums up why this game is so bad ass.
hulk-ultimate-destruction-4.jpg
Games-%5Bf,-hulk-web%5D.article.jpg
the-incredible-hulk-ultimate-destruction-20050510035906497.jpg

X-Men Legends series and Ultimate Alliance! Great games with a awesome core idea: take all the greatest Marvel heroes, stuff them in one game, and let them kick the shit out of baddies. Isn't a flawless formula, but it's great. Is one part beat-em-up, one part RPG, all baddass. Also, all of these are thuper cheap, so go get them. Think Gauntlet with more awesome.

ultimate-alliance1.jpg
s.jpg

What could have been...
Marvel Universe Online was a planned MMORPG in the vein of City Of Heroes/Villains, wherein players could create heroes and battle alongside Marvels greatest. Sounds awesome, right? Well, it was. Then it got shitt canned. No worries, though! it has been crafted into Champions Online, same idea minus the Marvel dudes. Coming to PC's and 360!

Stuff I left out!
There were a ton of Spiderman, X-Men, and other Marvel games out out on the SNES and Genesis, most of which sucked balls. I left them out due to sheer suckiness. I have also missed other games, that, while good, where not among my favorites (I only listed the sucky ones above since I actually played them, and therefore was confident in my saving they SUCK).
Thanks! Now, reminisce and tell me how I suck for leaving out Marvel Super Heroes by Capcom.

HYPER SOOPER EDIT
Yeah, if I left out a game you LOVED, don't bitch! Make a post about it! Contribute! I have *not* played every Marvel game (yet), so I didn't mention ones I had not played! Go for it!

Local H Jay on

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One of my favorite games on the NES:
    x-mennes.jpg

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Add X-Men Legends 1 and 2 to your list, as well as Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Now.

Now.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No Spider-Man arcade game? Thread fails.

I put so much money into that game. Black Cat was awesome.

elevature on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Add X-Men Legends 1 and 2 to your list, as well as Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Now.

Now.

It's up there, man!
    elevature wrote: »
    No Spider-Man arcade game? Thread fails.

I put so much money into that game. Black Cat was awesome.

Alas, I never played this! My Chuck E. Cheese didn't have it. Sorry. :lol:

Local H Jay on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The X-Men Arcade, the old two screen one that supported 6 players, NEEDS to be turned into an XBLA/PSN title.

I would pay out my anus for that.

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    The X-Men Arcade, the old two screen one that supported 6 players, NEEDS to be turned into an XBLA/PSN title.

Only hope for this is when the Wolverine origin movie comes out.
    Otherwise, probably not gonna happen.

Local H Jay on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

How about with your anus?.. *zips up the gimp suit* :winky:

But seriously this needs more mention of the 2 X-men games on Genesis.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    60644-large.jpg

Spider-Man 2 (PS2, GC, Xbox)

Yes, yes, it may have been repetitive, people asking you to do the same five missions over and over, but let's look at what this game has you do.

- Web-sling around the fucking city.
    - Stop crimes (whilst web-slinging)
    - Deliver pizza (via web-slinging)
    - Rescue people on boats? (using a super-jump...and possibly a web-sling to close the distance)
    - Pop children's balloons (with your web-slinging)
    - There are 216 (IIRC) "hint" markers around the game. Collecting these (sometimes in areas inaccessible without web-slinging) makes Bruce Campbell talk to you.

That's it. The game has a combat system, and sometimes you fight people. It's pretty deep for a licensed game, and certainly better than the combat in its successors (USM, SM3). But you don't care about combat. What you care about is web-slinging. And this game got the feel of being Spider-Man absolutely right. You get to web baddies up and hang them on light posts. Swing them around rodeo-style. And I feel a jolt of glee inside me when I'm asked to stop a carjacker. Why? Because I get to follow them, swinging through the buildings and releasing my web-line to land smoothly on their car and beat the ever-loving shit out of it. Just a really slick experience.

And if anyone ever wants to debate if games can be therapeutic, I point them to this game. I still break it out sometimes and just go swinging around the city, volume turned down, listening to music, doing no goals in particular in the game. Other games give you this freedom but nothing cool to do with it. I never drove in GTA just for the sake of driving somewhere. This game? Nope, just marveling at how cool I look when my swing arc gets close to the ground, passing through traffic, looping around flagpoles, swan-diving off of buildings...

I fucking love this game and you should too. Haven't played it? It's dirt-cheap on PS2, GC and Xbox (and it's 360-compatible).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ultimate Spiderman was badass. The fight scene between Venom and Wolverine, where you piss him off by chucking his bike through a wall.. priceless.

Chris W on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow, massive fail for saying all the Marvel games on the Snes sucked. Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems was great, as was what I consider the accompanying game X-men: Mutant Apocalypse. Both by capcom, both super awesome sidescrolling beat em ups. Then you have the great (while stupidly fucking hard) Maximum Carnage and Seperation Anxiety.

-SPI- on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Wow, massive fail for saying all the Marvel games on the Snes sucked. Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems was great, as was what I consider the accompanying game X-men: Mutant Apocalypse. Both by capcom, both super awesome sidescrolling beat em ups. Then you have the great (while stupidly fucking hard) Maximum Carnage and Seperation Anxiety.

Goddamn. Mutant Apocalypse is one of my favorite games. I beat that game as Gambit so much.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    60644-large.jpg

Spider-Man 2 (PS2, GC, Xbox)

Yes, yes, it may have been repetitive, people asking you to do the same five missions over and over, but let's look at what this game has you do.

- Web-sling around the fucking city.
    - Stop crimes (whilst web-slinging)
    - Deliver pizza (via web-slinging)
    - Rescue people on boats? (using a super-jump...and possibly a web-sling to close the distance)
    - Pop children's balloons (with your web-slinging)
    - There are 216 (IIRC) "hint" markers around the game. Collecting these (sometimes in areas inaccessible without web-slinging) makes Bruce Campbell talk to you.

That's it. The game has a combat system, and sometimes you fight people. It's pretty deep for a licensed game, and certainly better than the combat in its successors (USM, SM3). But you don't care about combat. What you care about is web-slinging. And this game got the feel of being Spider-Man absolutely right. You get to web baddies up and hang them on light posts. Swing them around rodeo-style. And I feel a jolt of glee inside me when I'm asked to stop a carjacker. Why? Because I get to follow them, swinging through the buildings and releasing my web-line to land smoothly on their car and beat the ever-loving shit out of it. Just a really slick experience.

And if anyone ever wants to debate if games can be therapeutic, I point them to this game. I still break it out sometimes and just go swinging around the city, volume turned down, listening to music, doing no goals in particular in the game. Other games give you this freedom but nothing cool to do with it. I never drove in GTA just for the sake of driving somewhere. This game? Nope, just marveling at how cool I look when my swing arc gets close to the ground, passing through traffic, looping around flagpoles, swan-diving off of buildings...

I fucking love this game and you should too. Haven't played it? It's dirt-cheap on PS2, GC and Xbox (and it's 360-compatible).

Is Spider-man 3 worth buying? I own Spider-man 2 on Ps2 and I was looking at number 3 for Ps3..

Rizzi on
  • Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    snip

No. IIRC, it was pretty dogshit. Tycho and Gabe even did a comic about how bad it was.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh.
    Well that sucks.

Rizzi on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I was in Junior High, my friend bought a new computer (with a newfangled Pentium processor and 75 mega-hurts), and a little program called Spiderman Cartoon Maker came with it.

It's not quite a game, but oh man did we have retarded fun with it.

Notable cartoons we created included:
    -Spiderman webbing a camera into a corner of a room, crawling all over Felicia Harding, and then backflipping off of her and shooting webbing out of his crotch.
    -Venom being released from a laboratory, running away, tripping over a log, hitting his head on a branch, and landing face-first in a pile of crap
    -Kingpin eating things. Every time he ate something, his size increased until he was parading through New York Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man style while Spiderman fought him by shooting lazer-webz
    -Naturally, this led to the idea of having a giant Felicia Harding for Spiderman to crawl all over (oh no up her skirt!) and spooge.

Typical amusement for an pre-adolescent brat.

Honorable mention goes to the original X-Men for Genesis, with its asinine puzzle about 2/3 through involving "resetting the computer" (which I honestly found the solution to on accident out of frustration).

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No. IIRC, it was pretty dogshit. Tycho and Gabe even did a comic about how bad it was.

20070509.jpg

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No gem wars?

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Oh.
    Well that sucks.

It's worse than 2 in every way possible, and it's just plain not fun.

In other words, it's completely faithful to the movie.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2008
    To be fair, I played alot of the SNES and Genesis games when I was 8, so I may have thought they sucked because they weren't TMNT. Sorry.

Local H Jay on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Spider Man 2 or Hulk Ultimate Destruction?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2008
    UD, but you can't go wrong with either.

Also, if you're picking up SM2, I suggest it for GC or Xbox. The PS2 version looks pretty damn shitty and there's this weird ghosting effect with Spider-Man himself.

UnbreakableVow on
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My brother, some random kids, and myself beat the x-man arcade game in reno a long time ago. My parents kept winning and giving us money so we played for the longest time. Once we got to the last level it was just me and my brother, and then my brother died when we were fighting magneto and then I fucking killed magneto alone. It was fucking epic. I must have been about 8 at the time.

TheMorningStar on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is the best spiderman game (besides spiderman 2):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph8-2UW8f0g

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Does Spiderman 2 work on the 360 with BC? I loved that game.

Echo on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xmen 2: The Clone Wars was awesome incarnate.

TheSonicRetard on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I vaguely remember my dad buying these:

2295-1.jpg

2297-1.jpg

I also vaguely remember them crashing and working at all. :|

I also remember this:

2296-1.jpg

It was pretty much X-men vs. Street fighter without the SF characters. It was still a kickass game though.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Genesis X-Men games were pretty fun, as I remember. Of course, I just used the cheats in the second one so I could play Magneto through the whole thing.

Fencingsax on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    2297-1.jpg

I also vaguely remember them crashing and working at all. :|

Holy shit, I had that game. I've still got the manual for it, even if my Commodore64 is long gone.

Haha, I had that one too.

shryke on
  • KirkKirk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ultimate Spiderman is one of the best bargain bin games out there.

Kirk on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love how none of you guys mentioned that Bruce fucking Campbell does the narration for Spider-Man the Movie 2.

What's wrong with you?

LewieP on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Haha, yes, good times. :D
    Although, I never did figure out if you could save, so I never finished it. I always got stuck when you got to the sewers.

Glal on
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I love how none of you guys mentioned that Bruce fucking Campbell does the narration for Spider-Man the Movie 2.

What's wrong with you?

Yes, I did.

And I also answered Echo's question as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    where the fuck is Maximum Carnage.

hmmmm?

don't make a fucking mega thread if you are just going to gloss over the ones you think "sucked."

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maximum Carnage was such a terrible comic but fuck if the game wasn't fun.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Maximum Carnage was such a terrible comic but fuck if the game wasn't fun.

I also recall Spiderman/X-Men being an annoying as hell game.

250px-SpidermanxmenSNES_boxart.jpg

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I seem to recall a Capcom-made X-Men game for the SNES where everyone had huge, bulked-up bodies and heads MAYBE the size of a fist. Yeah.

And pretty much anything even involving a Marvel character on the NES blew chunks.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I loved the X-Men genesis games, especially the second with Mags as a playable character. Also, COTA was my first Saturn game. It was great up until the final fight with Mags...you could turn it to easy and beat everyone else with no problem, but Mags was so freaking cheap I only ever beat it once, with Pyslocke.

Scooter on
    edited March 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I seem to recall a Capcom-made X-Men game for the SNES where everyone had huge, bulked-up bodies and heads MAYBE the size of a fist. Yeah.

And pretty much anything even involving a Marvel character on the NES blew chunks.

g07167vn3jl.jpg
    Marvel_Super_Heroes_in_War_of_the_Gems_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg
    Marvel_Super_Heroes_in_War_of_the_Gems_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

Arikado on
    edited March 2008
    Actually, I know the game you're talking about. It had Gambit and Psylocke in it and it blew ass.

Arikado on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

g07167vn3jl.jpg
    Marvel_Super_Heroes_in_War_of_the_Gems_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg
    Marvel_Super_Heroes_in_War_of_the_Gems_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

Yup, that's it.

Oh, there was also a Quake mod with the X-Men I somehow thought it would be a good idea to buy. Turns out you play some namless mutant who fights endless X-Men clones.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293