As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Chronicles of Spellborn (NSF56K) - Now available

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    I love the concept behind the combat with the different tiers of skills and possible combos, far more tactical that seen by WoW! This could be great!
    It is, indeed. I especially like the fact you only have 5 hotkeys because of it. I don't like it when I need my complete keyboard to be able to hotkey all my skills. <_<

Aldo on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked the system in Guild Wars where you have hundreds of skills but can only have 8 of them equipped at once. I tell you, the combat in games like WoW would be much different (for the better, I reckon) if you could only have a limited amount of skills available to you at any one time rather than having them all available all the time.

This tiered system seems like something of a middle ground. It'd be interesting to see how it works out in action.

reVerse on
    edited March 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    I liked the system in Guild Wars where you have hundreds of skills but can only have 8 of them equipped at once. I tell you, the combat in games like WoW would be much different (for the better, I reckon) if you could only have a limited amount of skills available to you at any one time rather than having them all available all the time.

This tiered system seems like something of a middle ground. It'd be interesting to see how it works out in action.
    I think this system is kinda similar, although it is said you can swap your skills when your weapon is sheeted. So you don't have to head back to a hub before you can change.

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Snare wrote: »
    I love the concept behind the combat with the different tiers of skills and possible combos, far more tactical that seen by WoW! This could be great!
    It is, indeed. I especially like the fact you only have 5 hotkeys because of it. I don't like it when I need my complete keyboard to be able to hotkey all my skills. <_<
    Don't touch EQ2, SOE went skill-crazy there, you'll literally have dozens of skills by the time you hit the level cap. My attack chain (ie, not even using all the support abilities meant for groups and situational events) for a Dirge at level 37 uses 12 different abilities, some of which require positioning/stealth to work.
    Can't say I'm exactly fond of the system, but it does make combat look very visually interesting, and you do get used to it.

Glal on
    edited March 2008
    Yah, that stuff is lame.

Aldo on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I think this system is kinda similar, although it is said you can swap your skills when your weapon is sheeted. So you don't have to head back to a hub before you can change.

Ah, that's awesome, I liked guild wars, and the GW combat system, and having to pick complimentary attacks and stuff. That was all fun, but it was annoying when you'd be like 20 minutes outside a hub, and you'd finally get to the quest area you need to be, only to realize that the skills you've been using so far to get there no long work for whatever reason (say you use a lot of bleed attacks on stuff that doesn't bleed!). It would be nice to change those once you're out of combat. Instead I'd have to go all the way back to a hub and then back to the zone and fight another 20 minutes to get back to where I was.

Dissociater on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Eh. Every warrior would walk around with MS +spamstring. How many more skills do you need after that? 6 probably covers it easily. I'd rather have the chance for a more complex experience.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Derrick wrote: »

Eh. Every warrior would walk around with MS +spamstring. How many more skills do you need after that? 6 probably covers it easily. I'd rather have the chance for a more complex experience.

Sure, PvP warriors are overtly simple to play, but that's a design flaw more than anything. They're designed to be that way so that all the mouthbreathers could easily own everyone without requiring complex things like skill.

reVerse on
    edited March 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    Warrior is one of the simplest classes in WoW, it only gets complicated when you become main tank. I played Shaman in raids, so there was a lot of totem juggling (this was before the expansion) and picking the right level heal. It was needlessly complicated at time, what with have 8 levels of one healing spell. There's a reason people created macros just for picking the right heal.

Aldo on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm trying out for the beta. This game looks as if it could be amazing.

Tav on
    edited March 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm trying out for the beta. This game looks as if it could be amazing.
    Lemme know if/when you get in.
    ...That pretty much goes for everyone. :P

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    How long were you waiting to see if you got in?

Tav on
    edited March 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    How long were you waiting to see if you got in?
    Long time. I don't know when they're going to add new testers in.

Aldo on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Woh, they have invited people to it? I registered for it at least a year ago. Why am I having such awful luck with betas recently...

maraxus94 on
    edited March 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    Woh, they have invited people to it? I registered for it at least a year ago. Why am I having such awful luck with betas recently...
    I have no idea how they picked their beta-testers, I recognize a few people who in the beta from the regular forums, so maybe they started off inviting people who were busy on their forums?

*edit: it isn't a big beta at the moment, no WoW test server shenanigans.

Aldo on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of being in the beta...
    Aldo, if ya see Jobias in game. Hi :)
    I've been in for a while. Sorry to anyone hoping new apps are occuring. They might be. I'm just not proof of such a thing. Were it to be happening. Which it may or may not be. And I'm not going to say.
    Cause I don't know

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
    edited March 2008
    Duly noted, Jobias.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Great in-game name there.

Tav on
    edited March 2008

I registered in March 2006, and still haven't gotten in ;)

Dissociater on
    edited March 2008
    Another wave of invites went out, I believe. So check your inboxes/spamboxes/spellborn.com to make sure you didn't miss it. :3

Aldo on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ya, nothing still. I think the beta gods are not shining on me. Also, I checked the forums, and they said that Open Beta would be soon way back in July? Did they get some huge delay that I am unaware of?

maraxus94 on
    edited March 2008
    Ya, nothing still. I think the beta gods are not shining on me. Also, I checked the forums, and they said that Open Beta would be soon way back in July? Did they get some huge delay that I am unaware of?
    It's supposed to be released in Q2 this year. They're pretty much on the same planning as Warhammer, it seems. So don't be disappointed if they also postpone release some more. :P

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Nothing for me either! haha

Dissociater on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been following this game since I think you could and registered for beta numerous times. No luck there yet for me but seriously anticipating this game.

Timmer on
    edited April 2008
    Some new screenies were posted on mmorpg.com: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/207/feature/1880

They show the fun you can have with the character creator. Note that it's currently in beta and I think it's safe to assume that there will be more options available at release. Perhaps we'll reach CoX levels of customization....

Aldo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    different races with variable hair? what a revolution in a making

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited April 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    different races with variable hair? what a revolution in a making
    No Wren, not just hairstyles and hair. Why the fuck do you think I mention CoX otherwise?

Since Spellborn doesn't deal in items with stats you get to pick your outfit from the get-go, this mean you can make your complete avatar, dye it in appropriate colours, find a fitting bow, shield and melee weapon and off you go. Everything you see has been made by players with the in-game character creator. No stupid clone factories, every character looks unique.

Aldo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    uh-huh

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ReebdoogReebdoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you haven't read all the background literature you really should. The storyline is pretty cool. The back story has been out for a long time.

Reebdoog on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This and The Secret World MMORPGs are the two I'm really looking forward too. I think this will have a really nice niche market. Fall needs to get here soon.

Esh on
    edited April 2008
    Reebdoog wrote: »
    If you haven't read all the background literature you really should. The storyline is pretty cool. The back story has been out for a long time.
    It's an interesting story, but it's quite a read.

I guess it can be summarized as: Der Ring des Nibelungen with less singing and more fighting.

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    Some good news, apparently TCOS is very close to signing with a major MMO publisher which would ensure that TCOS would be released in the US as well as Europe. Apparently this MMO publisher has signed a letter of intent.
    Hello Community members !

Today, we would like to share an important update with you about The Chronicles of Spellborn.

After we attended the GDC in San Francisco, TCoS and Frogster have been in contact with different parties regarding the distribution of Spellborn in the USA.

Recently, one major MMOG publisher has signed a letter of intent as a potential partner for the release of The Chronicles of Spellborn in the USA, assuming a time of six months so that Spellborn can be successfully introduced to the US public.

Frogster and we, TCoS Devs, decided to use this extra time to improve our server architecture as well as apply further polish and balancing.

Thanks to this additional development time, we will make sure that the flow of the gameplay and the performance correspond to the high quality expectations for the game even with high numbers of players.

The launch of Spellborn is now estimated to take place in Autumn 2008, simultaneously in Europe and in the USA.

Our current Beta planning remains the same, and our tester pool has been increased by one hundred community members recently, ramping up towards bigger numbers as more testing needs arise.

To conclude, we will make sure to reveal the USA partner as soon as a final deal is signed, but in the meantime, keep on being active and helpful to the community, for it’s your best chance to participate in the Beta test and make Spellborn an even better game!

Dissociater on
    edited April 2008
    After looking into Age of Conan some I have come to the conclusion that Spellborn will play a bit like AoC, but it will have a stronger focus on art and will be less brutal. The gameplay experience might actually turn out rather similar....just without boobies and fountains of blood.

I think I consider this a net positive as I would hate my mother walking in on me decapitating a topless woman.

Aldo on
    edited August 2008
    Acclaim will publish TCoS in North America.

Dave Perry says he and his team love the ever loving fuck out of this game.
    North American publisher for Spellborn revealed!
    TUESDAY, 19TH OF AUGUST 2008 :: POSTED BY BANSHEE :: 46 COMMENTS

OPEN LETTER FROM DAVID PERRY TO THE SPELLBORN COMMUNITY

Hi,
    My name is David Perry, and I’m the Chief Creative Officer of Acclaim Games (the new Acclaim) that is now the #1 American publisher of Free-to-Play Online Games. Some of you “old school” gamers might remember me from the old Sinclair Spectrum/Amstrad CPC/Commodore 64/Amiga/Atari ST days, back before the MMO concept even existed!

The CEO of Acclaim (Howard Marks) was the Chairman of Activision Studios through their massive growth during the 1990’s, and together we travel the world in search of the best new games that we can possibly find. Right now we’re tracking over 400 MMO games (yes it’s insane!). My poor old gaming PC is literally peppered with games in every conceivable language, and I’ve just kept playing, patiently waiting for that WHOA! moment. The game that finally got us there is Spellborn. When we saw it running, our jaws literally dropped to the floor. “Who the heck made this? We need to talk!”

Two reasons why I knew this game was really cool:

REASON 1
    I had been at the G-Star Game Conference in Korea, and I had a note in my notebook saying “Frogster �" Spellborn” with a big giant STAR beside it. From the zillion games at the show, it was this game that really stood out to me. I remember going back several times just to take another look.

REASON 2
    My staff (who absolutely LIVE for these kinds of games) have been bugging me like crazy. “Have you heard of this ‘Spellborn’ game? Come on Dave, you know people, can’t you get us a developer account?” One of them just asked me again today!

So now the word is FINALLY out! I just want to officially say to the creators that we immensely appreciate the hard work that’s gone into this game, and I know, that they know, that I know just how tough that work is!

So congratulations to the entire Chronicles of Spellborn team for making this game. We will make you proud in the USA/Canada and will soon have tons of gamers eager to play with you all in this amazing new world. I also want to say thanks to the Closed Beta testers that are helping with balancing. At Acclaim, our players & testers are highly valued, and we form player advisory boards for each of our games so that the Gamers have a voice to Myself, the CEO, the Acclaim Team & the Developers of the game.

At the keynote speech of this year’s Leipzig Game Developers Conference, and I reminded everyone of the three golden rules of running an MMO like this:

(1) Community
    (2) Community
    (3) Community!

A game like this, using a cutting-edge engine (thanks to the talent over at Epic), is an incredible opportunity for us all to grow this world, to make it a success and to make new friends.

So I look forward to meeting many of you in the world of Spellborn!

David Perry.
    USA Director - The Chronicles of Spellborn

I'm just very afraid they won't have this game finished before WotLK comes out.

Aldo on
    edited August 2008
    Hey! there's some good news!

Dissociater on
    edited August 2008
    Wooo! I definitely want to check this game out... I love the art style and the combat system has me curious.

They can keep working on it for another 8 months though as I'll be too busy with WotLK and WAR for a while... :)

Timmer on
    edited August 2008
    Timmer wrote: »
    Wooo! I definitely want to check this game out... I love the art style and the combat system has me curious.

They can keep working on it for another 8 months though as I'll be too busy with WotLK and WAR for a while... :)
    I hoped they would finish it before WAR, but -crap, I'm still under NDA- judging on the lack of updates on www.spellborn.com on anything other than the story it seems like it's still far away.

Aldo on
    edited August 2008
    Timmer wrote: »

I hoped they would finish it before WAR, but -crap, I'm still under NDA- judging on the lack of updates on www.spellborn.com on anything other than the story it seems like it's still far away.

Yes, I remember back when I was following the alphas of Vanguard and TCoS. Ouch. Well, hopefully it's being aged well. I'll cross my fingers for them. It's hard being a small player in this field.

Timmer on
    edited August 2008
    Their distinctive art direction will save them, I'm sure. It's like comparing those "realistic 3D shooters" from 5 years back to Baldur's Gate II. The former now looks dated, the latter is still beautiful.

Plus, the Unreal Engine they're using can pull off some amazing things even compared to WAR.

Aldo on
    edited October 2008
    So this game is coming out November 27th, 2008. There has been zero hype and us beta testers are still under NDA.

Aldo on