As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RP MUD] Journey Beyond the Threshold!

Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
banner2gw0.gif
Threshold is a high fantasy, real-time, multi-player, online role playing game. Once you step across the Threshold you will be absorbed by the rich, detailed, highly developed role playing atmosphere that comprises this fantasy realm. You become the hero, the heroine, or even the villain depending on your character and your imagination.

On Threshold, role playing is required and enforced. This policy creates and preserves Threshold's top notch role playing environment. Although there are places to communicate "out of character" within the game (after all, it is nice to get to know the people you are gaming with), outside of such areas players stay completely in character.

Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, this exciting gaming environment is home to thousands of players from all over the world. These players are indeed what makes Threshold RPG a truly unique and marvellous gaming community.

Yes, Threshold is text-based. Yes, roleplaying is required to play there. Yes, you will be mercilessly punished for ever saying a damned single thing out of character. And you know what else? It's really motherfucking good.

Threshold has existed in one form or another for upwards of a dozen years. I, myself, played on it back in my youngin days a decade ago. It's a MUD, which means it uses a telnet client to connect, play, and interact with the game world. It has very strict rules about areas, spoilers, and keeping in-character that are designed to make your actions count, exploration fun, and death terrifying. This game has the capacity to be the most engrossing gaming experience, if you have the imagination for it.

List of PAers playing

PA - Threshold

defrag - Verm the catfolk Rogue
nefffffffffff - Breunter the Dwarf
Xzean - Xzeanelenan the elven Sorcerer
Depressperado - Naol the human Psion
EliteLamer - Dorthonion the elven Mage
Fiaryn - Fiaryn the elven Mage
Threelemmings - Selach the gnomish Fighter

Game information

Races
Canis - Furry Race #1 lolol. Canine humanoids, strong and sturdy, but not too smart.
Catfolk - Furry Race #2 lawlz. Kitty humanoids, quick and charming, very lucky.
Dryads - All-female race of humanoids, born in trees or some shit.
Dwarf - Just what you think they are. Short, stout, fucking awesome.
Elves - Standard fantasy elves. Weak little prissy things good at pewpewpewing things with spells.
Gnome - All the shortness of Dwarves, none of the coolness, if you ask me.
Humans - Duh.
Kestrel - Avian humanoids, not quite as tough, but very proud and fancy.
Salamae - Little Amphibian guys. Cute.
Scorpien - Bred by alchemists to be some kind of super badass race of scaly humanoids.

Guilds
Bards - Must apply to be a bard through months of good rp. Multi-talented performers.
Clerics - Servants of the Gods, who are really no joke in Threshold.
Fighters - Dur dur how i swing sword
Mages - pew pew pew!
Necromancers - pew pew raise dead pew pew! Necromancers have to start as Mages or Sorcs and apply later, proving themselves worthy of the mysteries of death.
Paladins - Clerics with swords, Paladins serve as the militant arm of the deities of Threshold.
Psions - Masters of the mind, Psions have tons of crazy spells and abilities.
Rangers - Rangers start as Fighters or Warriors, and join the guild later on. Tree-hugging sword-swingers.
Rogues - Very little is known about the Rogues guild.
Sorcerors - Sorcs are born with their pew pew ability, unlike Mages, who study it.
Templars - Begin as a Sorc or a Mage, dedicate your life to a cause, dedicate your body to it, and you can be a Templar.
Thieves - Skulkers, backstabbers, thieves. (formerly the) Most awesome guild in Threshold, joining the Thieves guild is a process that requires proving you ain't no snitch, ain't no fuckup, and ain't gonna get caught slippin'.
Warriors - Warriors are much like Fighters, but located in the city of Thrace, not Sable, and less of a military organization.

Religion
Coming soon. Read http://www.thresholdrpg.com/?page=religion for now.

How the hell do you play this shit?

Step 1 - Go here: http://www.rosuav.com/ and downlad RosMud, a GMud client with a few nice little extras for Threshold.
Step 2 - Go here: http://www.thresholdrpg.com and read as much as you can about the guilds and races of the game. Come up with a detailed character concept. Make sure it's something you really want to play, because multiple characters aren't allowed.
Step 3 - Connect to Threshold using RosMud, type "new" at the name prompt, and begin the character creation process. Be ready to do a LOT of help file reading, but it's all worth it.

Important shit to know.

Number 1 - Threshold really is 100% in character. This means no typing "AFK" or "BRB" in any chat channel. For all intents and purposes, you're interacting as your character all the time. There is an OOC channel that you can use as a newbie to ask questions, and another you can use for OOC chat, but people mostly interact in character.
Number 2 - Threshold is free to play with a registration option. Once you hit a certain level, you can register, gaining in-game rewards and citizenship.
Number 3 - If we have a thread about it, it should conform to all of the rules and help files of Threshold. Don't break any of em.

If anyone else is interested in this kind of thing, awesome. If not, let it die.

Whiniest Man On Earth on

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds kinda cool, I feel that in order to understand my heritage I should play this, will be good roleplaying practice.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I used to play a lot of Achea as a Satyr Warrior. I've stopped playing MUDs since then but I'm interested in trying this one out.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I used to play Farside and Clandestine. I'll give this a look over. I won't get addicted though I swear!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If you guys do end up playing/getting approved, let me know your character names, and I'll put them in the OP and we can look for each other. I'm gonna add a list of good help files to the OP today.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    I played there with a buddy some ten years ago.

He ended up as the grand master of the Fighter's Guild. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This seems pretty neat, but I have little to no roleplaying experience. Would there be any problem with me basically sitting down in some tavern\pub\what-have-you and just watching how people usually RP?

I'd assume so, but as people seem to take RPing as serious business and I am unsure of my creative writing abilities, I've been a bit cautious to actually try my hand at it. D:

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think they'd let you know if you were doing it wrong.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I think they'd let you know if you were doing it wrong.

Ah yes, I remember a guy in the thief guild who couldn't stay in character worth a damn.

There was a global emote telling of his mutilated corpse found washed up on the beach.

Echo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    man whats wrong with "some dude who picked up a sword and decided to kill things"

I don't need an a deep and interesting past, shit

I never enjoyed RP heavy MUDs too much

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    man whats wrong with "some dude who picked up a sword and decided to kill things"

That's perfectly fine too. You'll get plenty of new tales to expand with. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

That's perfectly fine too. You'll get plenty of new tales to expand with. :P

well exactly

my last RP MUD, I was a bard. basically I was just some common bar fly who decided to tag along with big fancy heroes to sing for them and come up with stories about them to tell at the pub (except I always embellished my involvement, usually making myself the big hero)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    CMD : It's pretty newbie friendly. The Green Griffon is a great place to just sit and watch people RP, and you should be able to pick up on things pretty fast. If you have any more specific questions that the help files can't answer, I'd be glad to help.

Echo: I remember that too. Good times.

Wren: Not having a huge backstory is fine, you just have to make sure you stay in-character.

I am back as Verm, the catfolk (furry furry lol) noble, going through heritage and preparing to unleash a long lost character on Sable once more.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    do you purr and beg for milk?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what's the gameplay like? Browsing through the site a bit, I didn't see much about combat or abilities and whatnot. Are there RPG-esque game mechanics here? Or is this more of a MUSH than a MUD?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is getting through heritage supposed to be hard? I went to that cottage at the top of the newbieareas list, and got RAPED by a cracked skeleton, and then ran into a Demon, and then met a ghost that just threw me out of the room if i attacked.

Is there something I'm missing?

Inx on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Inx: Try fighting the animals at the farm, not the skeletons. The very same help file says that the skeletons and zombies are a bit tougher than everything else.

Diz: The gameplay is very much a MUD.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    as soon as finals are over I will be checking this out so hard.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So, has anyone else actually played? I've been sitting in the damned Green Griffon for days, now.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have played: fighter, psionic, cleric, thief, mage.

That was ten years ago though. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    only MUD i've played with any seriousity was Medievia. It was fun, and kind of the WoW of MUDs (sort of high tech, competitive, mostly out of character), but I outgrew it.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the best MUD ever was The Forest's Edge

there was also a warcraft one I really enjoyed with a rather useful mini-map (rarity for MUDs imo) and diablo style loot system. it was pretty much pure pvp, with npcs only really being there to outfit you after a pvp death.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm enjoying myself so far, although I'm a bit overwhelmed. I went to the farm and managed to get killed by a skeleton, then again by a cow. are there other animals I should attempt?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Try the chicks and the chickens first. Once you get into a guild, you can expand to the others. Also make sure to train your heritage level every 500xp/100slag you make, because the skills you get will make those fights a hell of a lot easier. If you can find one animal pen, you should be able to find the rest pretty easy, they're fairly logically laid out.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bah, that rosmud client crashes whenever I try to connect.

Screamline on
  • Options
    FrogdiceFrogdice ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow. Thanks for posting this Defrag. :)
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    This seems pretty neat, but I have little to no roleplaying experience. Would there be any problem with me basically sitting down in some tavern\pub\what-have-you and just watching how people usually RP?

I'd assume so, but as people seem to take RPing as serious business and I am unsure of my creative writing abilities, I've been a bit cautious to actually try my hand at it. D:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that CmdPrompt. Threshold has been around long enough to know that fresh ideas and fresh characters are vitally important to keeping a community vibrant. While Threshold is RP required, it is not "hard core" in the sense that we expect everyone to be some kind of RP super star.

The most important thing is for people to have fun. If for some people that means hanging more on the sidelines, that's totally fine. And when you feel comfortable enough to jump in a little more seriously, go for it. :)

Frogdice on
  • Options
    RosuavRosuav Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Screamline wrote: »
    Bah, that rosmud client crashes whenever I try to connect.

If you're having trouble with one client, you can switch over to another to get connected. Pick any client for your operating system - there's dozens of good clients around. Also, if RosMud doesn't work for you, the author - ooh, that's me, as Baron Zeta said - will be happy to walk through some debugging. Just drop me an email or send me a PM via this board, and I'll do my best to sort out your problem. Alternatively, just log on to Threshold RPG using whatever client you can, and then ask for me there; Threshold has Out Of Character channels on which technical support can be given, and that would be in real-time, unlike email.

Please have your Customer Number ready when you call. Thank you for calling software technical support, your call is important to us and we will be with you as soon as possible. You may now listen to two hours of on-hold music while you wait for someone to get back to you. Please enjoy it, because if you enjoy our on-hold music, we'll give you more of it. Yes, I've suffered at the hands of this sort of treatment too. My policy is to make it really easy for people. :)

Rosuav on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What can I say? I figured a thread might bring some new people around and give me somebody to party with. ;)

I've been spending way too much time in the Griffon, randomly popping out to extract some vengeance on the local chicken population.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I like muds but I always get lost.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sense of direction in a MUD is just a matter of repetition. Once you move around enough, you kind of remember where you are.

Hell, I still get lost on the way from the docks to Thrace in Threshold. That's embarasing.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    especially when its pvp heavy. if you can't find your way from one side of the world to the other while blind, you really can't survive.

east until you hit a wall, then go north till you get a slight breeze, go east till you can hear the shuffling of feet then south until you hit a dead end then "open down", go down, close up, south, east. and now I'm safe in a magically shrouded room with food and water in an area no one ever goes to or even knows about.

I still remember this, sadly.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am reading through pages and pages trying to pick my religion.. Another problem I have is I always like go mage/wizard, its just who I am but on muds these classes seem to be the advance classes..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    awww I didn't see that this was Pay 2 Play :(

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's in the OP: you don't have to pay anything, but once you get to a certain level, you can register for $50 and get "citizenship" for your character.

Mages/Sorcs in Threshold are bastards, with lots of good shit.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ooh, i didnt see the chickens before...

edit: i'm getting on now. dwarf named Breunter.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I want to find a TFE clone that actually has an active player base.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am waiting to be approved.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Frogdice wrote: »
    Wow. Thanks for posting this Defrag. :)
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that CmdPrompt. Threshold has been around long enough to know that fresh ideas and fresh characters are vitally important to keeping a community vibrant. While Threshold is RP required, it is not "hard core" in the sense that we expect everyone to be some kind of RP super star.

The most important thing is for people to have fun. If for some people that means hanging more on the sidelines, that's totally fine. And when you feel comfortable enough to jump in a little more seriously, go for it. :)

That is great to hear, especially coming from a dev team member (I'm guessing). :o Its always good to hear from the makers of a game at PA.

I'm reading through the help files now, hopefully I will be inhabiting some out of the way corner in the Green Griffon soon.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like this game..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it's pretty damned good. What did you end up making?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Elven but I keep getting raped in the newbie area by everything. It seems to be luck if can kill something or not...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg