As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animator Art Test + Sketches

UrthrunUrthrun Registered User new member
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
I also took an art test to get into the Finals Department. I had around a week to get it completed as well as 2 other animations due at the same time.

As for right now (youtube is being quite slow at uploading) I can show you some of my previous 3d and some previous sketches.

I will update this thread to include the youtube link as soon as it is up.

Critiques and comments are always welcome. (And "its good" isn't a critique :P)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=54464577&albumId=1579298

Urthrun on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Here is the youtube link. I may have accidently composited it as 30 fps instead of 24, which may account for the fast speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56O4odpFMBM&feature=PlayList&p=06462DBCBAFF0103&index=0&playnext=1

Urthrun on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    I really like the expressiveness you've got going on there. The only thing I notice is that his face seems to be static the entire time he's walking, and I can't tell if his eyes are staying locked on a point or just static when he's walking. The overall movement, though, is fluid and it conveys a very great playfulness, like a young child.

Nice work.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ZooberZoober Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The walk is a nice first pass. You've got the basic locomotion down.

Things that are jumping out at me are:

- Jagged arcs - Open up your curves and clean up the hips, arms and neck. The arms especially, because of the characters large hands the movement on them really pops out.
    - Slow in/out - Give your extreme poses more time to ease in and out of. Easy fix is to key the body on the frame before and after the extreme and drag that pose out a couple frames later.
    - Overlapping action - offset the arms and the neck/head a bit to show their trailing weight. I'd also drop the end where he points and opens his mouth. What he's doing isn't very clear and it comes off as really awkward with everything timed together. The walk is much stronger, I would just end it with a nice stop and settle.

Zoober on
    ~Blarg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I really appreciate the critique zoober, I completely see what you mean, I had a hell of a time trying to get the arms to represent the attitude i wanted. Definetly a great learning experience.

Urthrun on