As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Speakers, 2.1 of them

GimGim a tall glass of waterRegistered User regular
So as I sit here listening to music and editing music, I realize that I'd like to be able to experience this through something other than just my headphones. So I think a nice 2.1 setup would be good considering they don't cost too much. I'm looking for something that I can hook up to my computer and that has a not-too-large footprint. My desk area is somewhat small. The subwoofer wouldn't be any problem (that can go on the floor), but my desk is somewhat limited in available space.

So what say you, Moe's? What's a decent 2.1 setup that won't bankrupt me? I'd prefer to keep the cost under $100.

Gim on

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you are serious about me music editing, get a good par of bookshelf speakers and an amp. Go to some place like Guitar Center and shop around. You should be able to get some low-end pro-quality speakers and an amp for around 100 or so dollars.

EDIT: If you can afford it, get a pair of Mackie monitors like these. They are a bit pricey, but so worth it for sound quality. Just make sure you have a good sound card in you computer.

EDIT EDIT: Don't be afraid to buy used. You can save a nice chuck of change there.

That_Guy on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah yes, the studio I intern at has monitors like those in each of the studios. They're nice. If I had the extra money or the space, I'd pick up a couple. But I'm limited in both of those areas.

Gim on
    edited March 2008
    They really are not that big. A par of bookshelf speakers will take up less room than a standard 2.1 system as the sub will be the real beast. If you are serous about the music, you are not going to want a separate channel just for bass. It really does not do justice to the music to have highs and mids in one place and lows in a completely different place. As for price, look at used. You can save hella money there.

That_Guy on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not opposed to buying used. I buy many things used. But a quick glance at eBay and slickdeals doesn't bring up much. Have you any suggestions for good places to look?

Gim on
    edited March 2008
    Guitar Center or another local music/dj store. Check pawn shops too.

That_Guy on
  • bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    not the cheapest (105-130) but the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are the best computer speakers i have ever heard. I personally own a pair and love them, they're a 200 watts total and are also THX certified.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008