As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

90's Music Appreciation thread!

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    And the ticket for Local H has been purchased. Damn Ticketmaster for their fees, but I suspect it will be worth it.

It will be. They are so awesome live. Brian, the drummer, is just amazing. And Scott puts more energy into every show than anyone I've ever seen.

And these guys know how to give the fans a show. They always play the fan favorite songs, a smattering of more obscure stuff, and almost always one amazing cover song.

My favorite tour was the one where the fans picked the setlist. Going in you got a ballot, and got to check off what songs you wanted to hear. Whatever got the most votes, they'd play. And there was a write in spot.

The absolute best show they ever gave, I was lucky enough to be at. The opening band's drummer broke his hand, so Scott came out and played a solo set before the band proper did its normal set. And then, afterwards, they did an extended encore, including an awesome series of Cheap Trick' surrender, into the Pixies' Tame, into Nirvana's Breed. It was really amazing.
    Full set list:
    Scott Solo:

OK
    Dick Jones
    Eddie Vedder
    Bearer of Bad News (Tripl3FastAction)
    Pop Life-15 secs-(Prince)
    No Problem
    Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)
    Lucky (first time it was ever played live)
    All The Kids Are Right

Set:
    Halcyon Days (Where Were You Then?)
    Money On The Dresser
    Fritz's Corner
    All-Right (Oh, Yeah)
    Hey, Rita
    High-Fiving MF
    Heavy Metal Bakesale
    Buffalo Trace
    Heavens On The Way Down
    (President Forever) > Fine And Good
    California Songs
    Hands On The Bible
    Bound For The Floor
    Auf Wiedersehen(cheap trick)
    Southern Girls(cheap trick)
    He's A Whore(First verse only)-cheap trick
    Surrender(cheap trick)
    Tame(pixies)
    Breed(nirvana)
    Everyone Alive
    Fuck Yeah, That Wide

So yeah, you are in for a treat, especially if you've never seen them before.

ps They do the best cover of Britney Spears' Toxic.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If they play one of those extra long "Fuck Yeah, That Wide" closers that I've heard so many times, I will be most pleased.

Gim on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, I don't care if Weezer was meticulously trained for success, they The Blue Album and Pinkerton are two of my favorite albums ever.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PalinDronePalinDrone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I only really started to listen to/acquire my own tastes for music in the mid-90s, and I remember discovering that Nirvana, Oasis and No Doubt were pretty awesome.

Other than that, not much sticks out in my mind except for some singles that will always bring me right back whenever I hear them:

Your Woman
    -- White Town

Drinking in LA -- Bran Van 3000

Peaches -- Presidents of the USA

Longview -- Green Day

And before all that, it was:
    spice_girls_retro.jpg

Fuck yeah.

PalinDrone on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Why would you do that to us?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The Toadies seem to tour every so often. I hope to experience them before my untimely death.

Gim on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Podly wrote: »

I think she's selling it outside my apartment right now, if anyone thought it was worth going after during the day, you could easily get it now and on the cheap. She wasn't really that bad looking.

Good god, though, that song.

I'll toss out Blues Traveler out here with the band we like but haven't been able to produce anything worthwhile since the cosmic odometer rolled over. Combination of their bassist dying and John Popper getting his stomach stapled, lessening his ability to jam out on the harp.

Rah for all the Cake mentions. Odd there's yet to be any love for some of the earlier, grunge guys. Did I miss the Soundgarden posts?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    The Toadies seem to tour every so often. I hope to experience them before my untimely death.
    They put on one hell of a show, let me tell you. Even though it was an arena show rather than a club show, they still were awesome.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread fails for lack of:
    Sublime_Self-Titled.jpg

Fails hard.

I've recently been re-watching Buffy (and Angel) with the wife, and sometimes it's fun hearing some of the old music on the show (and even seeing some of the old bands that made appearances...K's Choice and Bif Naked are two that stick out in my mind right now, but I know there are plenty of others). Granted, there's quite a bit of music I at least kinda-sorta liked in the 90's that I can't stomach anymore, but damn are there some songs I still love.

Like Oasis. I went on a serious Oasis kick after the last thread.

Still can't seem to get back into the Pumpkins, though. I guess I'm just....happy....now.

EDIT: I realize now that only the first three seasons (the Bronze-tastic ones) were really in the 90's, as well as the first half of the fourth (and first half of season one of Angel). But those seasons were seriously 90's.

Oh, and for some reason along the way I had picked up like four entire albums of Sir Mix-a-Lot on my computer/iPod. Don't ask me how, or why. It's only recently that I could bring myself to delete all but the few single songs that still amuse me from time to time. Sometimes the 90's is like Vegas: what happens there should stay there.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sublime is pretty awful actually

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I wouldn't say awful, but they do get far too much recognition (in my humble opinion).

If I could go fifteen years without hearing a Sublime song in some form or another, it would indeed be sublime.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dd anyone get a chance to go to the Pixies tour a couple years back?

Because that was fucking awesome.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh yeah? Well both of you suck! And...and...so does Local H!!

So there!
    Local H kicks massive amounts of ass, and Sublime is pretty overrated...but in a 90's music thread? Absolutely required.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'll give you that.

Free pie and blowjobs all around!

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah ok I'll give it to you

Just, god, they are not the best band ever. Yeah they sing about drugs. So what?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Just, god, they are not the best band ever. Yeah they sing about drugs. So what?

It doesn't help that they became mainstream after Bradley Nowell died, so then everyone that bought the self-titled was like, "in memoriam, Brad!" It's not a bad CD by any means and should mentioned with 90's music, but it was pretty bloated and flabby in parts.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

What more do you people want? But yeah, the whole "best band ever" rep that 90's stoners gave them was a bit annoying. Still, I really dig some of their songs to this day. Though most of their singles sucked donkey dick.

Oh, and I ought to also throw out Social Distortion as another band that largely defined my 90's music experience. You don't own Social Distortion you say? Why do you hate America?

Yeah, they'd been around since the dawn of time, but they put out some good shit during the 90's and that's probably when most folks outside Orange County actually heard of them.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alice In Chaiiiinnnnnssss.

GNR had the deliciously bloated and over-indulgent Illusions albums.

And how about the Verve... and not just for that damn hit single whose name I will not mention :).

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    Wyvern998 wrote: »
    Also: Sonic Youth

My friend goo...

Hey Goo, what's new?

Also, let's not forget about 90s hip-hop; Wu-Tang's Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), Aesop Rock's Float, Nas' Illmatic, Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon's Dr. Octegonecologyst, and KMD's Black Bastards.

So good.

Wyvern998 on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ant000 wrote: »

I can't wait to hear Opeth covering 'Would?' on their new album.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Ant000 wrote: »

I can't wait to hear Opeth covering 'Would?' on their new album.

My jaw dropped when I first heard they were doing that. It probably won't be nearly as interesting as I'm hoping it will be.

SteevL on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned
    rhcp_logo.jpg

:whistle:Sometimes I feel
    Like I dont have a partner
    Sometimes I feel
    Like my only friend
    Is the city I live in
    The city of angel
    Lonely as I am
    Together we cry

I drive on her streets
    cause shes my companion
    I walk through her hills
    cause she knows who I am
    She sees my good deeds
    And she kisses me windy
    I never worry
    Now that is a lie

I dont ever want to feel
    Like I did that day
    Take me to the place I love
    Take me all the way:whistle:

fuck yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJHEdQBAr8

Also,
    58204.jpg

Alive had to be the best song, ever.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Soundgarden and Pearl Jam ruled my youth.

Tool and Radiohead ruled my high school years.

The 90s were good fuckin times.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Del tha Funkee Homosapien. Hes probably my favorite rapper. I know....this thread hasn't been going in the "rap" direction, but the 90s were host to some actually good rap/hip-hop music.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Saaruto wrote: »
    Del tha Funkee Homosapien. Hes probably my favorite rapper. I know....this thread hasn't been going in the "rap" direction, but the 90s were host to some actually good rap/hip-hop music.

90's had some of the best. De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan, Tupac, Notorious BIG, the debut of Jay-Z and Nas, Dr. Dre's The Chronic, Snoop Dogg. We could probably do an entire thread to just the 90's hip-hop.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well, I mean, Illmatic is one of the greatest pieces of music of all time, sooo....

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :whistle:
    Moving through the country,
    Gonna eat a lot of peaches

:whistle:

Also, Pearl Jam's Ten album and Red Hot Chilli Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magik album rock.

Also, for the metal minded, Opeth's earlier albums were awesome, if only for the fact that clocked a 20 minute song that's completely progressive and full of awesome (Black Rose Immortal)

theSquid on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys, Rage Against The Machine, White Stripes and The Flaming Lips need to be mentioned more in this thread.

Tav on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Huge fan of Faith No More. Sure, they started in the 80's, "The Real Thing" was in '89, but their best albums were 90's. One of the most innovative, unbalanced, talented and bizarre bands out there. "Angel Dust" was a revelation, with a country Western song and a song with cheerleaders about oral sex sharing space with a cover of the Commodore's "Easy."

Also, and unrelated, "Closing Time" was, and is, a fracking amazing song.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Guys, Rage Against The Machine, White Stripes and The Flaming Lips need to be mentioned more in this thread.

The White Stripes had one album out in the 90s (1999). They started in 1997, but by far I would categorize them as a band of the 00s.

Gim on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Also, and unrelated, "Closing Time" was, and is, a fracking amazing song.

I have been deliberately playing that song at the end of every day at work now. Not everybody gets the hint.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    Also, for the metal minded, Opeth's earlier albums were awesome, if only for the fact that clocked a 20 minute song that's completely progressive and full of awesome (Black Rose Immortal)

Huh, everything up to and including Still Life was in the 90s.

Meshuggah also released Contradictions Collapse, Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere in the 90s.

L|ama on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Eve 6 anyone?

Or third eye blind is great too.

Both very ninties.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

It doesn't help that they became mainstream after Bradley Nowell died, so then everyone that bought the self-titled was like, "in memoriam, Brad!" It's not a bad CD by any means and should mentioned with 90's music, but it was pretty bloated and flabby in parts.

You know they say the best thing you can do for your fame is die.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    worked for Kurt Cobain

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Eve 6 anyone?

Both very ninties.
    I may see Eve 6 soon.

Also
    garbage-garbage.jpg

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm only happy when it rains, indeed.

Gim on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Eve 6 anyone?

Both very ninties.

Third Eye Blind wasn't overly bad in the sense that their lead singer could write decent lyrics, although their actual music itself is fairly uninspiring.

Eve 6 is awful fourteen year old fodder and they're basically just the tween engineered tripe of the day.

In the grunge era of the nineties Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains all put out fantastic albums that more or less set the tone for most of the emerging acts coming out throughout the rest of the decade.

Given, Nirvana became heinously overrated after Kurt's death, but at least out of the big four Pearl Jam kept on putting out great music throughout that decade.

Weezer put out two fantastic albums (Blue and Pinkerton) as did the Pixies, who heavily influenced their musical stylings.

Sublime broke big in '96 after Brad Nowell's death (on an album that he was totally unhappy with) and even though it was their weakest effort to date, anyone who considers them a shitty act can blow me. Go download and listen to the Firecracker Lounge bootleg you godless mongrels.

311 was a band that got big without following on the coattails of a similar genre establishing act and also totally failed to open the doors for any sort of derivative acts. The self titled album they got famous on was fairly bland considering their previous work and pretty mainstream to boot. Their follow up, Transistor, however was a 20+ song single disc Reggae album that they never could have put out if their record company was still trying to establish them. At the size of the album, the whole things a big mess, but I absolutely love this cd.

In the second half of the decade you have Korn putting out two decent if a bit unvarying albums that spawned a lot of imitators. You also have a band called Incubus capping off their decade with an awesome funk inspired album called S.C.I.E.N.C.E., but they're all a bunch of faggots and like to pretend that this album doesn't exist.

Also a band called the deftones released an album called adrenaline, and followed it up with an album called Around the Fur. If you don't own both of these albums, well then I guess I just don't have anything nice to say about you.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Um, Wu Tang Clan?

Yeah, Wu Tang Clan.

LRG on