As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

what does 2.0 mean for jailbroken iphones?

SamSam Registered User regular
I'm assuming people will want to play Spore. If an iPhone is jailbroken for whatever reason, and we all know there are a lot, does this update mean the end of running amok? Something tells me Apple is including barriers and crackdowns on all kinds of things, because they want their app store to be exclusive.

Sam on

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    I'm assuming people will want to play Spore. If an iPhone is jailbroken for whatever reason, and we all know there are a lot, does this update mean the end of running amok? Something tells me Apple is including barriers and crackdowns on all kinds of things, because they want their app store to be exclusive.

Actually, if you read around, the 1.2 (developer preview of 2.0) firmware has already been broken.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jailbreaking as I understand it is what allows access to the filesystem of the phone. As far as I can tell, all the 1.1.x firmware revs will run unsigned code, so the main purpose of jailbreaking is just a means to get software on the phone. The new 2.x (really 1.2.x) versions will only run code signed from Apple, which is circumvented in the patched version. Since the firmware is patched on a PC before being downloaded into the phone, it is possible the haxors have embedded popular jailbroken apps (Installer, BSD Subsystem, OpenSSH) so that a further jailbreak isn't necessary.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works out.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg