As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW [Chat]: What will Drysc do?

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    yeah I did every quest on my human paladin and I still only just hit revered without turning anything in on the way to 70

rep grinds are stupid and I hate them

Now try it with a Belf paladin. You start out 3k behind if you go Aldor!

Rep grinds can die in a fire. Attuning quests make much more sense than an arbitrary "How-Much-We-Like-You" gauge.

Oats on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just bought the last 15k of rep I needed the day after I'd bought my epic flying, with dailies any form of buyable rep becomes pretty easy to obtain.

Oatway wrote: »
    Attuning quests make much more sense than an arbitrary "How-Much-We-Like-You" gauge.

815165 on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    And I wouldn't sweat the Aldor/Scryer drop stuff. If you do all of the Netherstorm quest lines plus farm a bit in Shadowmoon Valley, you reach Exalted with either faction almost by accident.

Not really, I've done all those quests on my priest, and he's still stuck in early revered. At some point, you're going to have to make a concentrated effort to make it to exalted for your chosen faction, and I can't really be arsed to do so. I mean, the idea was an interesting one to start with (two rival factions jockeying for power in a divided city...) but the execution fell short. "Hey, you hear about Bob? Killed thousands of those demons bent on wiping out all life... for those Aldorks. What a jackass, let's attack him on sight when if he comes through our little town."

Any rate, even if you must get to exalted, I still reckon letting everybody have a shot at rolling on those damn things is the only equitable way to go for it.

dojango on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh reminds me, last night I'm chillin with my Aldor homies on our bad-ass rise, and some Scyer assholes attack the chick you hand in Fel Armaments to, and they're taking her down. I'm kind of annoyed because there's nothing i can do to stop them.

Then a few of my Aldor homies nearby hop off their mounts and start healing her, eventually she wipes the Scryers. :)

815165 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only thing good about Aldor/Scryers was getting the Jimmy video.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is it really that hard to get to exalted with them?

Thomamelas on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It is if you a person who hates grinding.

Seg on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    few things in this game are hard

but I mostly stick to the stuff I enjoy

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    Oh reminds me, last night I'm chillin with my Aldor homies on our bad-ass rise, and some Scyer assholes attack the chick you hand in Fel Armaments to, and they're taking her down. I'm kind of annoyed because there's nothing i can do to stop them.

Then a few of my Aldor homies nearby hop off their mounts and start healing her, eventually she wipes the Scryers. :)

Wow, those must have been some weak-ass scryers. All you have to do is run out of the little room, and you get banished (but are alive!). Best thing about her is she can be Mind Controlled. Good times.
    Aldorleader.jpg

dojango on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It is if you a person who hates grinding.

But even over time they just kinda pile up.

Thomamelas on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is my realism rather than my pessimism talking, but, knowing Blizzard's track record, is there any way that WOTLK is NOT delayed until January ?
    You know, a couple of months ago I would have been more skeptical, but now, who knows. In any case, the longer Blizz delays the xpac, the more time they need to fill in with content which, according to the CMs, has not been planned or developed. Even if they give us a 'pre-xpac' patch that gives us the talents to play with, that's still saying "hey, hope 2.4 lasts you guys eight or nine months", which is really stretching things.

One of two things is going to be true:

A) The xpac will be out by November at the latest (and even then that's pushing things with the last bit of content being in April).

B) The xpac gets delayed until '09, and Blizzard has to scramble for some last-minute content addition and end up half-assing it so we get something shitty (Tier 0.5 anyone? The Scourge invasion?) to tide us over.

I'm almost to the point that I wonder if the Activision merge has had anything to do with their total silence on the xpac front.

Halfmex on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Getting from honored to exalted on aldor took me about 6 hours of grinding maybe. Legion Hold is so hilariously broken it made it pretty easy.

shadowane on
    edited March 2008
    Well that is by far the fastest I've ever heard of from Legion Hold, and certainly a much higher drop rate than I experienced.

Septus on
    edited March 2008
    It could have been 8 hours. I did it in a week. Maybe it wasn't quite from honored, could have been the middle of honored. But it wasn't really hard. The warlocks were incredibly squishy on my druid.

edit: It was a long while ago. Man, Septus, always poking holes.

shadowane on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd say if you are the right class, you can grind 2.5k rep/hour at Honor Hold. Drop rate on armaments is wonky though, 2 weeks ago I spent about 3 hours there and only got 3 (120 signets, 24 stacks of cloth). I was annoyed.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I watched a priest MC one of the guards outside, who he then had banish the other guard who banished him back so they both ended up outside Shatt, then going into her room, MCing HER and one shotting all the disciples until the guards respawned and banished her. It was pretty awesome.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I'd say if you are the right class, you can grind 2.5k rep/hour at Honor Hold. Drop rate on armaments is wonky though, 2 weeks ago I spent about 3 hours there and only got 3 (120 signets, 24 stacks of cloth). I was annoyed.

Yeah that's very true. Some days I ended the 2 hours with like 8 or 9 armaments and others I'd only have 1. It was really random. I still don't understand why those mobs respawn like they do though. Sometimes I'd finish killing one and another would respawn immediately in its spot. It was really odd.

shadowane on
    edited March 2008
    shadowane wrote: »
    It could have been 8 hours. I did it in a week. Maybe it wasn't quite from honored, could have been the middle of honored. But it wasn't really hard. The warlocks were incredibly squishy on my druid.

edit: It was a long while ago. Man, Septus, always poking holes.

I just want to kill any potentially unreasonable hope in my heart.

Septus on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is my realism rather than my pessimism talking, but, knowing Blizzard's track record, is there any way that WOTLK is NOT delayed until January?

Assuming they plan to give us approximately 6 months to clear and farm Sunwell (give or take a little), they could still easily meet a November release. I've heard unsubstantiated rumours that the "Friends and Family Alpha" is currently underway, and considering we're supposed to be seeing a playable demo version at some Paris thing around the end of June, I suspect that they're milking this "Soon(tm)" thing as long as they can, and then we'll get hit with an onslaught of info from Blizzard, leaks at the Paris show and official releases from magazines and other sources with rights to exclusive interviews and whatnot.

I figure April will probably be stagnant (maybe with a few tidbits along with the usual April Fools shenanigans), May we'll start to hear something and June/July will be when the floodgates open.

Of course, getting into a full blown public beta (like, tomorrow) would alleviate many of my concerns as to whether or not we'll actually see WOTLK live before I turn 29. (over 11 months from now)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to be very frustrated if it's anything later than November. My job gets enormously hectic in the spring of every odd numbered year. I already lagged behind everyone for TBC, and I want to be able to hit lvl 80 and tool around there for a bit before the end of January.

And then maybe I'll quit.

And maybe pigs will fly.

Septus on
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have yet to manage exalted with any outlands faction. I have a bunch of revered, a few honored, but no exalted.

In fact, the only exalted I have is with Undercity...

Fuck a bunch of rep grinds.

LineNoiz on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Without meaning to wave my privates in anyone's face, I managed to grind both a Restoration Druid and a Protection Paladin to Exalted without a whole lot of trouble. And the Paladin was a Blood Elf working Aldor rep, which I didn't realize started me at a sizeable deficit until after I had made the decision. If you the Netherstorm quests first it's not really that bad.

Fairchild on
    edited March 2008
    LineNoiz wrote: »
    I have yet to manage exalted with any outlands faction. I have a bunch of revered, a few honored, but no exalted.

In fact, the only exalted I have is with Undercity...

Fuck a bunch of rep grinds.

I ended up Exalted with the major ones by doing attunement runs for alot of people and helping people grind enchants.

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2008
    Then clearly we have very different definitions as to what a whole lot of trouble is, because resto druids are the worse grinders ever, for an already unpleasant grind.

Septus on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Then clearly we have very different definitions as to what a whole lot of trouble is, because resto druids are the worse grinders ever, for an already unpleasant grind.
    No argument there. I was running Karazhan at the time and would occasionally re-spec to Balance to fill a Raid need, after which I would sprint to Shadowmoon to farm rep before I went back to Restoration. Fun, fun, fun.

Fairchild on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I've heard unsubstantiated rumours that the "Friends and Family Alpha" is currently underway

From a friend source or random rumors? My reliable source hasn't said shit yet, but then I don't talk to them as much as I used to, so I suppose it could still be a secret. We were in pretty early alpha for BC though.

I'm honestly getting really worried. Until now my guild had never "beat the game." We were in BWL and AQ40 when Naxx came out, only having time to get Emps and Razuvious down before the raid game fell apart for us, between people burning out, taking breaks till BC, quitting entirely, playing beta instead, etc. There's only six bosses in Sunwell. Barring some serious cockblock or bugged-to-hell fights, it's not going to take us months to get that on farm. And then... we have to hope that the lure of getting a full best-in-slot gear set and screwing around with friends is enough to keep people coming back every week until WOTLK? Scary times.

Maybe like Warhammer will come out in the meantime, and we can play that for awhile, then WOTLK will drop when people are getting bored of no end game in Warhammer... >.>

riz on
    edited March 2008
    Without meaning to wave my privates in anyone's face, I managed to grind both a Restoration Druid and a Protection Paladin to Exalted without a whole lot of trouble. And the Paladin was a Blood Elf working Aldor rep, which I didn't realize started me at a sizeable deficit until after I had made the decision. If you the Netherstorm quests first it's not really that bad.
    That is exactly why I don't like the rep grinding crap. If you don't do things in just the right order, it becomes hugely difficult.

Thrallmar? Don't do any quests until you hit Honored by doing dungeons.
    Scryers/Aldor? Don't turn in marks until you do all available quests.
    Lower city? Don't do any quests until you hit honored by turning in feathers/running dungeons.
    Cenarion? Do dungeons and turn-ins until honored, then quest.

For the one toon I've done this on, I didn't know any of this (it's not like the game gives you any hints), so I just did my thing. Running quests, turning in stuff as I find them. Now I'm all out of quests for all the factions, and stuck at honored or revered with no recourse besides hours upon hours of grinding mobs or hours upon hours of running dungeons that have no gear upgrades for me (or heroics, but I have the worst goddamned luck getting together a heroic group that can pull it off).

LineNoiz on
    edited March 2008
    LineNoiz wrote: »
    That is exactly why I don't like the rep grinding crap. If you don't do things in just the right order, it becomes hugely difficult.

Thrallmar? Don't do any quests until you hit Honored by doing dungeons.
    Scryers/Aldor? Don't turn in marks until you do all available quests.
    Lower city? Don't do any quests until you hit honored by turning in feathers/running dungeons.
    Cenarion? Do dungeons and turn-ins until honored, then quest.

For the one toon I've done this on, I didn't know any of this (it's not like the game gives you any hints), so I just did my thing. Running quests, turning in stuff as I find them. Now I'm all out of quests for all the factions, and stuck at honored or revered with no recourse besides hours upon hours of grinding mobs or hours upon hours of running dungeons that have no gear upgrades for me (or heroics, but I have the worst goddamned luck getting together a heroic group that can pull it off).
    Such are the bitter joys of WOW. This is exactly why I didn't rush to level when TBC first appeared, so that I could profit from the harsh experiences of the Get There First ! weenies.

Fairchild on
    edited March 2008
    Scryers/Aldor is actually grind lower level marks until honored, then quest, then turn in higher level marks.

But I mean it helps, but it just keeps you from having to grind as much. There isn't really a correct way to do it.

shadowane on
    edited March 2008
    Scryers/Aldor is actually grind lower level marks until honored, then quest, then turn in higher level marks.

But I mean it helps, but it just keeps you from having to grind as much. There isn't really a correct way to do it.
    Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. Thought about changing it, but meh. The idea is there, if the specifics are off.

LineNoiz on
    edited March 2008

I seem to recall doing all the netherstorm/SMV quests and still not being at honored, so I had to go grind firewing point for a bit. Certainly you should turn in the lower level signets sooner rather than later, but I don't know that I would suggest actively grinding them all the way to honored first. Unless they're better rep per turn-in, or better rep on average because of drop rates? I didn't pay too much attention to that. I just made sure to save the sunfury signets and tomes.

Septus on
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    In my groups, it's a one-apiece need roll for each Armament/Tome if you still need rep, or just greed roll if you're already Exalted.

so if you bought your way to exalted, your reward is to let other people have all the tomes/armaments for free rep / to make money off of?

It was your choice to buy your way to Exalted. Your reward is the stuff you get at Exalted. In my system, you don't roll need unless you're going to turn the item in for rep, not sell it; that's what greed rolls are for.

And this is coming from someone who bought three characters to Exalted, and will soon buy two more.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Also, if you've just started terokkar and not picked a side yet, be careful of accepting the mob-drop collection quest for the opposing side. I did and dropped to unliked after turning it in.

Septus on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I did that on my paladin, but I ended up grinding the one area in SE Blades Edge (Death's door I think?) where I could just gather up 10 or so felguard at a time to aoe tank down.

Nobody on
    edited March 2008
    Yes. That throwable shield ability (we forgets the name, Precious) that will ding 2-3 nearby targets is really helpful in the small questing areas crowded with demons.

Fairchild on
    edited March 2008
    Yes. That throwable shield ability (we forgets the name, Precious) that will ding 2-3 nearby targets is really helpful in the small questing areas crowded with demons.

Avenger's Shield.

Thomamelas on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just wish the Aldor's tabard wasn't so godawfully ugly. Give me the Scryers tabard with the Aldor's rewards.

Halfmex on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RE: Scryer/Aldor Exalted. It's not THAT hard. Yes my main is human mage but I'm also pretty limited on time (1 hour a day 5 days a week, 2-3 hours on Thursday, 3-5 on Sunday). Takes a bit of forethought and research, and either buying up or grinding out the first token. Shoot, I've toyed with the thought of switching over before...

RE: Patch 2.4?. Folks, correct me if I'm wrong but last I heard the 25-man content wasn't unlocked yet on PTR? If it has, I'd say add no less than 3 weeks to whatever date it was unlocked.

RE: WotLK. Go ahead and call me a pessimist, I guess. They said before that they feel Naxx was "in play" for too little time. So I don't see the expansion test before 5 months after 2.4, period. I finger the expansion for 4-6 months after that. Yes, from a marketting perspective they want it in the stores for the December crunch, but I don't like the odds of that.

What do I see happening? A 2.5 "pre-launch" event circa October/November, possibly a remixxed "Scourge Invasion" giving the story lead-in to WotLK. All I'm asking is for my 140+ Necrotic Runes in the bank to be useful :P

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    edited March 2008
    Uh, the 25 man has been unlocked on the PTR since it was released. It is now locked with I believe, every boss but Kil'Jaeden having been tested.

Septus on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    2.4 won't come out right after Easter weekend anyways.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
This discussion has been closed.