As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cabal Online] Revolutions of Actions

KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Cabal Online - The Revolution of Action
cabalonline2nc9.jpg

Wait.

Cabal?

collection16001200tw2in3.jpg

Online!?

cabal04rl5.jpg

Oh. Cabal Online.

Cabal Online is an action MMORPG game, set in a -3rd person view perspective. Like most modern MMORPG games, it includes a skill and class system, pvp system, and a guild system. It also utilizes a combo system within its gameplay that allows players to have more powerful attacks based on timing. The primary aspect of leveling in the game is quests. Typical quests involve moving from one place to another, interaction between NPCs, killing enemies, and dungeon quests.

Story:

cabalstoryoj8.jpg

Classes:

Warrior
bgwarrioriq2.gif
"Warriors" are those who have inherited the very first form of "force". They practice physical strength by using force rather than manipulating it, thus being a warrior requires being more physically superior than those of the other forms of force. As they prioritize physical power over technique and speed, their fights are often more thrilling and dynamic. On the contrary, their understanding of force manipulation is quite limited, and thus their intelligence is given less priority in their training. However, experienced warriors are said to be able to awaken their latent abilities by using force to become berserker warriors and summon Astral Weapons by experiencing a spiritual awakening in force.

Their starting area is Bloody Ice. Warriors have high attack and high defense. Their high HP and high defense combine with their high damage and hard hitting skills make them hard to kill in both Pvp and PvE. Most of their skills are slower to cast than other classes, but their damage is greater. Warriors are great for beginners. Their main weapon is a 2-handed great sword or a 2-handed daikatana. Their Summoned Astral Weapon is a scythe.

Blader
bgbladervi3.gif
Their practice is focused on maximizing physical abilities by using force, and they prioritize dazzling technique and speed over destructive power. In the beginning, they used various kinds of weapons, but they quickly realized that the best partners for their skills were dual swords, and settled with them. Since then, they use single or double bladed dual swords as their primary weapons, and wear light armor such as "Martial Suit Set" from the Huan continent for speed. Just like the warriors, bladers have very limited understanding of force, and so mainly practice physical strength and agility more than studying the knowledge of force, which requires intelligence. Experienced bladers are said to be able to create multiple doppelgangers by maximizing their agility, and to bring instant death to their enemies by summoning deadly Astral Weapons which are the results of their spiritual awakening in force.

Their starting area is Desert Scream. Bladers have high attack and defense rate, but lack of defense ruins a Blader's chance in PvP. This lead to the creation of the Heavy Blader, a Blader wearing Warrior armors. Their skills are rather fast and some do AOE. Bladers are good for beginners. They mainly wield either dual blades or dual katanas for their weapons. Their Summoned Astral Weapon are claws.

Wizard
bgwizardji0.gif
Wizards are magic users who manipulate Force to compensate their physical weakness. In the early years of Nevareth, they used a type of Force controller called "Force Stick" that was inherited from the Honorable Age, but as Core Technology was retrieved and developed, they started using an aggressive Force controller called "Orb". Orb is one-handed, which means that Wizards can be equipped with an orb in both hands to double their power. It also leads them to be able to cast multiple magic spells at the same time. Wizards invest a lot of effort in intelligence in order to efficiently control Force. At the same time, they do not possess much physical strength or agility. Thus they prefer to wear light armor such as Martial Suit Set. According to an unconfirmed theory, they avoid metallic armor because it prevents them from close contact with outer forces. Well-experienced wizards are said to be able to simultaneously use multiple magic spells with ease, and inflict enormous damage just by using a simple spell.

Their starting area is Desert Scream. Most of the Wizard's skills have AOE. A Wizard's defense is very low, but their AOE skills have stun and knockdown effects, which nearly makes them unhittable in PvE. PvP-wise, Wizards are still very powerful. Their stun-knockdown attacks combine with their Fade Step-Dash-Blink skills makes them hard to kill. Their main weapons are two orbs. Their Summoned Astral Weapon is an Orb that lets them attack two targets.

Force Archer
bgforcearchersp6.gif
Among the three independent combat skills, "Force Archers" originated from the Wizard group. They realized the potential of long-range magic spells, and studied how to intensify the potency of magic spells. It is common knowledge among force handlersthat the relation between range and space is in inverse proportion to the one between space and power. The founders of the Force Archer skills were greatly intrigued by distance and speed rather than space and power. They established the intensive long-range force attack skills for Force Archers, and created "Crystals", an advanced version of a Wizard's "Orb", which specializes in controlling force more than intensifying it. This great invention which has resulted in creating another invention, "Astral Bow" which minimizes the risk of power decrease when using long-range force and improves force control and attack speed at the same time. Later, it served as a momentum for "Astral Weapons", the embodiment of force. Controlling Crystals requires a minimum of physical strength and agility. Force Archers do not move around much compared to other classes due to their unique battle style, and they wear armor such as "Battle Suit Set" from the Pastur continent, which possesses better defense than light clothing armor. Experienced Force Archers can perform quick long-range force attacks and if they achieve a master level in force control they can deliver a fatal blow to an enemy from a far distance with one shot.

Their starting area is Green Despair. Force Archers have the longest range in of all the classes, as well as the fastest casting time. Their defense and defense rate are average. They have a wide array of support skills and healing powers. They are powerful in PvP because of their long range and high damage they are able to deal. Their main weapon are two crystals. Their Summoned Astral Weapon are a pair of dual guns.

Force Blader
bgforcebladerlv7.gif
At the beginning, Force Bladers were using a sword in one hand and a Force controller in the other hand. Unlike defensive Force Shielders, Force Bladers prioritize agility for precise attacks. With the same reason, they cannot wear armor heavier than Battlesuit Set such as Armorsuit Set. Also for the Force controller, they preferred to use "Orb" which focuses ondestructive power more than Force control. The research in Force Bladers obtained a fruitful result in establishing Agility Force Bladers, but it was not that satisfactory. Agility Force Blader's sword skills were not as strong as Bladers' skills, and their magic skills were not as powerful as Wizards' or Force Archers' skills. They were also unable to perform support magic spells unlike Force Shielders. They must find another way to improve their power. After long research, they realized that using sword and magic spells at the same time would compensate for the weakness. Then they created unique battle skills as known as "Magic Sword Skills". This is how Force Bladers, the Magic Swordsmen have been established. Since Force Bladers must be equally skillful in fencing and magic, they try to keep balance their practice in physical strength and intelligence. Although there are not yet many Magic Sword Skills introduced, still Force Bladers can use joint sword and magic skills. Well-experienced Force Bladers are told to be able to combine every possible magic spell with their sword skills, and inflict more damage by mastering combining magic and sword skills.

Their starting area is Green Despair. Force Bladers are the hardest to level in the game because they must constantly skill train both Magic and Sword skills to be effective. They are really powerful in the end. Because they can use both range and melee attacks, melee classes like the warrior and the blader does not fair well with them in PvP. They also have extremely overpowerered debuff skills. Force Bladers have powerful hard hitting skills. Like the Heavy Blader, there are also Heavy Force Bladers. Force Bladers are not recommended for beginners. They can choose between blade/crystal or katana/orb. Their Summoned Astral Weapon is an Arm Cannon.

Force Shielder
bgforceshielderkq6.gif
The creation of the Astral Shield opened a new chapter in the history of Nevarethian armor. The Astral Shield has such high defense strength that it can serve offensive purposes as well. Warriors and Bladers, who desperately needed a better way to fight and defend have become Force Shielders. They wanted higher defense as well as establishing their own unique battle style. Thus, they started using the heaviest armor such as Warrior's Armor Suit while carrying the Astral Shield. Force Shielders specialize in short-range force control, which means that they are incapable of doing long-range attacks. However, they make up for this weakness by developing supporting magic spells which increase their attack strength by manipulating outer forces near their bodies. It's these methods which match those of the Wizard's strongest asset. This revolutionary invention has become a turning point in the Nevarethian battle style. Force Shielders must invest a lot of their effort in physical strength in order to be equipped with Armor Suit, the strongest yet heaviest armor, as well as an understanding of force in order to skillfully control force. They also need to consider dexterity for decent hit rate since they can only use one-handed swords. Experienced Force Shielders know various ways of manipulating Astral Shields, and can perfect their defense if they master in short-range force control.

Their starting area is Bloody Ice. A Hybrid class, they have high defense and can do high damage. They have very powerful AOE skills. Magic Force Shielders are said to be better in PvP due to their high defence. Mainly used for tanking. They can choose between blade/crystal for PvE or katana/orb for PvP. Their Summoned Astral Weapon is a bigger shield that can be thrown like a boomerang.

Battle System:
fotocabalonlinehc3.jpg

Essentially combat in Cabal is the same as pretty much any other MMO out there, except when it comes to the combo system. Basically what makes it unique is the ability to chain your skills onto whatever mob you are attacking to make them more effective.

To get a better idea of the system, check out this

Crafting
CRAFTING
Crafting.

So why do I want to play this again?
Because it's free, and it's actually pretty fun.

Alright, well, what's the end game?
Goddamn faction PVP and high-level dungeons for those fat purples, dogg.

I'm still not convinced.
72a272d55c3b.jpg

HOW I MAEK PLAY TIEM?

Go to http://cabal.ogplanet.com/main.og, register to 'Ogplanet' through their handy website by clicking on 'Register', download the game, and play.

Videos, etc.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkWnOKbolw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lncHSfXMiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2UVBbwEEfE

Helpful Websites (Builds, etc.)

http://www.cabaldatabase.com
http://forum.cabalonline.com/
(Not the US forum, but it's better.)
http://cabal.mmosite.com/

IGNs:

Kajusta (Aulin)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
XBL
Kajusta on

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    those are some nice breasticles

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Agreed. Also, I can say that the attack animations are pretty damn good and you actually level up pretty fast.

Considering the max level is like, 190 or something.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Does anyone have any interest in this besides me?

Maybe I should make a post about it in G&T, being free and all.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I sure don't. looks pretty typical except with HUEG numbers

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hah, I knew an idiot champion in LOTRO named Blader. Seems like they decided to make an entire MMO based on stupid names. Did they hire an eight year old to translate the class names?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys, let me save you some time on this one. It is a decent cookie cutter Korean mmorpg. The music is good, graphics good, not really any bugs.. The game is fun up to level 50 when quests get really crappy.. Like go kill 300 fucking frogs, crabs and what not. For the first 50 levels half the quests have a story too it then it just kinda stops. There is no grouping until level 100+... And at level 80 there are NO MORE QUESTs yet the game goes up to 170... You level pretty quickly to 50 too... The game was really only made for up too level 80 and they just threw levels on to keep the game going.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually isn't it not Korean at all? I had heard this game was a European-made MMO.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2008
    Made by EstSoft...
    Founded in 1992, ESTsoft is a South Korean based applications software and solutions development company. Its software ranges from end-user PC utilities and applications to turnkey business solutions for enterprises.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited March 2008
    When was the last time you played Elite? I heard they added a shitton of quests in the US release.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Heh, for a second I was like "OMG an Elite MMO!". Then I returned to sad, sad reality.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited March 2008
    Well I'm having fun with it.

If that means anything.

edit: Apparently Grrlgamer did a review on the open beta, I'll like it just to give some perspective.
    http://www.grrlgamer.com/review.php?g=cabalonline

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played this for a while and it bored me very quickly. I didn't even reach lev50. It's just another evergrind.

If you *are* looking for a mundane grind MMO with a more futuristic twist to it: look no further. I didn't notice much Engrish, it looks pretty and it had some decent music (as opposed to the usual K-Pop bullshit). Just, don't hold any expectations when you start playing, I was lured in by the flashy promo-videos thinking it would be an exciting game.

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, a question, you kill a few things, you get low on mana or vigor or whatever and you need to get some back before starting your next fight. Does it take very long to get that back does it mean a 2-5 minute break every 4 - 6 kills?

Seg on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Ok, a question, you kill a few things, you get low on mana or vigor or whatever and you need to get some back before starting your next fight. Does it take very long to get that back does it mean a 2-5 minute break every 4 - 6 kills?

Ahem, we're looking at you Perfect World.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To still answer the question, keep mana potions. Keep lots of mana potions. Potions are cheap so I keep 40 or so of both health and mana, the mana ones get used automatically when you run out of mana.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2008
    Entaru wrote: »

Last night I logged out after I realized I was spending more time reading the forums then playing the game.

Seg on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Entaru wrote: »

Last night I logged out after I realized I was spending more time reading the forums then playing the game.

Oh so I didn't do anything wrong.

I thought I was alone.

--
    To kinda answer the question: I didn't notice much difference between this and the resto shaman I played in WoW, before the expansion.

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Yeah it gets to the point where you are carrying 100 pots each.

I played this game like 2 weeks ago.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited March 2008
    I usually carry anywhere from 90-100 potions of each.

Pretty much everyone spams mana potions.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Well I am going to give this one a go.

Thinking at first I will go with a Warrior or Blader until I get a feel for the game. After that though, I will probably mess around with the Wizard or Force Shielder.

Seg on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    I gave this a spin some six months ago.

The areas felt like a small square playground where you and five dozen other people ran around grinding the hell out of mobs.

Sure has nice graphics and design though.

Echo on