As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW CCG Raid Deck infrastructure

moofrankmoofrank Registered User new member
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
The new obsession our overlords have with the WoW RAID decks has piqued my interest.

My problem is that I've been away from CCG's since....Netrunner.

Upper Deck doesn't have a good guide to what you need to get started with the WoW card game. There seem to be three different starter decks, themed boosters, and the Raid decks themselves.

My questions are thus:

1. Are the starter decks even a match for the RAID decks?
2. What sort of investment would I need if I had to start from scratch?

Moo,
Frank

moofrank on

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    moofrank wrote: »
    1. Are the starter decks even a match for the RAID decks?

Oh, definitely not. They're, if memory serves, 30ish card decks. They might be able to do some decent damage to them, but they're going to run out of cards, and aren't going to have the longevity or abilities required to survive the big hits. They're mainly frameworks which you'll want to fill out to a normal 60-card deck.
    2. What sort of investment would I need if I had to start from scratch?

Are all your players starting from scratch as well? You might want to have everyone pick up the specific starter deck of their choice from eBay (if you buy them new they're random, so you have no idea which one you're going to get) as a base, and then maybe go together and get a booster box. Due to booster boxes being... well, random, you're probably going to want to hop on eBay again and pick up some singles of the commons/uncommons you didn't get/need more copies of. Usually they're a dime/quarter a piece, so nothing huge. Might be able to pick up some specific class ability rares as well through there. Depending on the card, you could probably get them for a dollar a piece.

Also, going into it you may want to have them make a plan for their decks. Just like regular raiding, you'll probably want to have someone with a Protector/tank that can take all the big hits the boss can deal out, someone that can throw around heals to keep the raid alive, etc.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jumping into the game with the raid decks might be a little difficult. The raid decks are really strong and designed to beat up on multiple, well made decks.

If you're just getting your feet wet, I would have each player buy a starter deck and play against each other. You'll get a feel for how the game works, how cards interact and what cards work well together. The starter decks that you buy in stores are random. You don't know what class or faction you're going to get. But, there are sites that open the starter decks and sell the preconstructed decks separately from the rest of the box. I would suggest StarCityWoW.com

Then, you can move onto creating your own decks from scratch. Sites likes Star City can help you get the specific cards you need. For a raiding deck you want to look for anything that destroys or interrupts abilities. There are a lot more suggestions that could be made, but that should get you started.

aragorn18 on