As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ideas for an MMO

FeonisFeonis Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
No, no, no, no, no, I'm not doing an Gang of Daggers thing here. But, in your youth, or in your now-times, haven't you had ideas for an MMO? I'm not planning to make one in the near future or anything, but I know for a fact that people have interesting ideas that could be fun to talk about. Hell, who knows. This could even be fun.

If you've ever had an idea that you think could be a good MMO, just share it. It can be long, short, whatever. Personally, I know I've had ideas that could potentially survive out in the open. I just don't have the skills or the team. So anyway, on with the sharing!

Feonis on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Command and Conquer

I haven't played 3 yet so I don't know where the storyline is now

But I would kill so many GDI fascists for the glory of Nod

Scooter on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've never had good ideas for MMO's. I've just always wanted to do character design for them. Oh, and landscapes. But I suck at landscapes.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Mass Effect.

I kept thinking "hey, this combat system would work for an MMO!" every time I cleared out pirate bases.

Echo on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    GI Joe, if you had a coh, type character creation, with say the gameplay of daoc, this could be a lot of fun, especially pvp with all the vechicles and bases that have been created for this toy brand

Transformes, create your own autobot or decepticon? sign me up. pvp could again be amazing.

Samurai Destiny, a mmo put into the feudal times of japan, key would be able to create your own type of swordsmanship with your class, clans, towns, the ability to fight on horses.
    This is one i wrote a lot of ideas down for but and being a 3d animator and designed a lot of things for it.

Diablo, blizzard please give me this and fuel my addiction more. Theres a great world to explore in Sanctuary, show it to us.

Dungeons and dragons: Lands of Faerun, not the crappy dnd3.5 bs they have out now. Based on the popular settings of faerun( a good choice would be to set it up around the world of Drizz't Do'urden. Massive storyline with characters of all types and races. It could be huge.

You can make anything into a MMO almost, just need the story, backround, etc.

Laonar on
  • FeonisFeonis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What I've always wanted to do was create a fantasy MMO with a good crafting engine. My idea was that every person in the world would keep and raise dragons, and combat would be based on using both, so you were esentially two characters, making soloing easier. There are three main continents, and a different sub-race of humans is primarily on each one, they're not very different, they just have differing stats and appearances. There were three types of dragons, one could be mounted in water, one could be mounted to fly, and one could be mounted to speed across land.

Blah blah blah, it's cool in theory, but in order to convey it reasonably I'd have to make a very lengthy post about everything, and I'm not into that right now.

EDIT: I found the site my friends and I made about a year ago with some of the information. It's at a basic level, but I think it conveys my game better then I could do it here. http://z6.invisionfree.com/Dragon_Master/index.php?

Feonis on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd love to have a game where distance is meaningful, none of that world chat and whispering bull. If you aren't within shouting distance you cant hear other people. Maybe some sort of spell could circumvent this, but it wouldn't be freely available. It would make adventuring so much more intense.
    Of course no one would appreciate it, because it is highly impractical. :P

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Well, to be perfectly honest, if I needed to get in touch with my friend in a game like that, I'd just IM him in another window. However, it would also make for more [shout]CAN I HAVE BUFFS, KTHNXBAI![/shout]

Feonis on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Steampunk anything.

All I want is a goddamn airship to serve tea and crumpets on to a ragtag crew of ball-gown clad assassins and pistol wielding privateers whilst wearing a top-hat and telescopic monocle. Is that really too much to ask? Is it?

SpongeCake on
    edited March 2008
    Feonis wrote: »
    Well, to be perfectly honest, if I needed to get in touch with my friend in a game like that, I'd just IM him in another window. However, it would also make for more [shout]CAN I HAVE BUFFS, KTHNXBAI![/shout]
    Yeah, it isn't practical...at all. :P

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    Steampunk anything.

All I want is a goddamn airship to serve tea and crumpets on to a ragtag crew of ball-gown clad assassins and pistol wielding privateers whilst wearing a top-hat and telescopic monocle. Is that really too much to ask? Is it?

You're right, why isn't there a steampunk MMO? You could probably take any of the original MMO's people have listed and tack on a Steampunk theme, it would be great, and it'd work 90% of the time. On another note, has anyone ever tried to organize a PA mmo project? I'm sort of new.

----

Aldo, practical or not, it'd be fun to watch people struggle with it.

Feonis on
    edited March 2008
    You could probably take any of the original MMO's people have listed and tack on a Steampunk theme, it would be great, and it'd work 90% of the time.

Well, Ultima Online tried half-heartedly and it was shit. I think for it to work you'd need a dedicated, purely Steampunk theme.

SpongeCake on
    edited March 2008
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    You could probably take any of the original MMO's people have listed and tack on a Steampunk theme, it would be great, and it'd work 90% of the time.

Well, Ultima Online tried half-heartedly and it was shit. I think for it to work you'd need a dedicated, purely Steampunk theme.

Yeah, you couldn't get away with a "sort of steampunk" or "kind of steampunk" thing. I've never really seen Ultima Online, I'll take a quick look at it.

Feonis on
    edited March 2008
    Someone get China Miéville on the phone, we need a New Crobuzon MMO stat!

Echo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had this idea for an mmo where you kill stuff and you get experience points that when accumulated, level your "class"

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited March 2008
    Man, I need to re-read the Bas-Lag books now. It tickles my brain in all the right places.

Just check out the species in his books.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    So then it was obviously a failure. As far as I can tell, it looks alright, but I'm only checkin insofar as wikipedia.

Feonis on
    edited March 2008
    TOTALLY off topic... and sorry but where is borkistan echo?

Laonar on
    edited March 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    TOTALLY off topic... and sorry but where is borkistan echo?

Right here, opposite Yankistan on the other side of the puddle in the middle.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    Bork as in Swedish Chef? Istan as in the popular suffix, perhaps? I dunno.

Anyway, yeah, keep the ideas a-flowin'

Feonis on
    edited March 2008
    right on echo, didnt know and always curious!

MMOS thought i heard rumors of a call of duty mmo int he works, that sounds awesome.

A better starwars MMO...

a racing mmo, where you could travel countries with 100000 of miles to drive and meetpeople, and setup your own races, claim turn, form gangs, that would be neat. have trucks, motorcycles, cars, boats, planes, ability to setup garages and fix and create cars. hrm i like this idea!

Laonar on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always wanted an MMO based in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer universe called "Hellmouth." Clever pop-culture referencing dialogue/quests, trippy soundtrack, colorful characters and great PVP. The "mythology" of the series leaves room for just about any kind of class you could think of, so just pluck from the imagination and then worry about balance. Sadly, this will never ever happen.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The mention of GI Joe got me thinking...

A lot of 80s cartoons had some interesting worlds that could be made into MMOs, if not "That 80s Cartoon MMO"

I'd love to fight the Inhumanoids as a Silverhawk and then party with Mumra to the musical stylings of Jem (who is truly outrageous.) :P

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2008
    white wolfs Vampire the masquerade and werewolf combined into a mmo.

Laonar on
    edited March 2008

That whole universe is already being turned into an MMO.

SpongeCake on
    edited March 2008
    omgoodness no way.. you just made my night... explain!

Laonar on
    edited March 2008

Wasn't White Wolf talking about an MMO once? Damn if I can remember what setting it was though.

edit: the hive mind responds!

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    omgoodness no way.. you just made my night... explain!

Here ya go.

Specifically: "White Wolf will leverage CCP's industry-leading technologies to bring its offline role-playing titles online. Conceptualization and early development has begun to bring White Wolf's World of Darkness, one of the world's strongest gaming properties, into the online world."

Doesn't precisely mention an MMO; I guess technically it could be some other online doodad, but that would seem to be the most obvious suggestion.

SpongeCake on
    edited March 2008
    aww man, work has it blocked, most sites with the word "Game" in it is blocked.. makes my nights extremely boring.... Ill check it out when I get home!

Vampire:The Masquerade for PC I believe was going to be a MMO but they changed their minds and made it a single player game.

Laonar on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like a sci-fi mmorpg without the "Everquest in Space" feeling.

"Mutant rat is dead, it drops a laser gun."

Problem is sci-fi is too damn broad. Besides all the different genres, you need aliens (and they have to be hot), spaceships, robots and to satisfy a good number of people without ripping off Star Wars, Star Trek and/or other numerous works of science fiction. If not, fanboyism will become the iceberg of your Titanic.

I like Anarchy Online, but it is a little outdated beyond a graphical update.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    edited March 2008
    oh i just thought of another, than i forgot it as i was tryping..... scuse me while i think, well while i think a cool mmo would be final fantasy based on VII's world. Another would be oh yeah i remember.

Curt Schilling(the baseball pitcher for the Redsox) owns his own gaming company. He is in works currently with R.A Salvatore (Legendary creator of the famed dark elf Drizz't Do'urden) This could be good?

Laonar on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd love to somehow marry games like Civilisation/Sim City with an MMO. It could be dammed cool, if it was ever able to be implemented. Imagine being able to form a guild/clan/corporation of cities to build a nation or region and work with those people over a period of years. Sigh

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited March 2008
    I don't think an MMO based on the world R.A Salvatore created would be all that great, maybe if he made a slightly new-ish one specifically for an online game.

Feonis on
    edited March 2008
    the mmo that they are working isnt based on that world, ra salvatore is just helping write it

Laonar on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We need a Shenmue-style MMO. We could have forklift battles or something for end game content.

KVW on
    edited March 2008
    In a Shenmue style MMO, you could have....who could ask the most people about 4-Wu-Du. Or, who can find out the most about their father!

Feonis on
  • RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think a Monopoly MMO would be awesome, but I'm not sure how bankruptcy thing would work. Would it be basically perma-death? In any event, the game was designed for MMO status, games that grind on forever and ever until everyone quits before actually "beating" the game.

RuddurBall on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like a sci-fi mmorpg without the "Everquest in Space" feeling.

"Mutant rat is dead, it drops a laser gun."

Problem is sci-fi is too damn broad. Besides all the different genres, you need aliens (and they have to be hot), spaceships, robots and to satisfy a good number of people without ripping off Star Wars, Star Trek and/or other numerous works of science fiction. If not, fanboyism will become the iceberg of your Titanic.

I like Anarchy Online, but it is a little outdated beyond a graphical update.

People are going to hate me for saying it, but I would love a WoW-in-space. I wouldn't really care if it was Star Wars or Star Trek or Babylon 5 (Lexx would be cool, though it'd never happen). But WoW did so much stuff right, I honestly think you could reskin the whole thing with sci-fi stuff and it'd still be fantastic.

edit: also yes something steampunk would be awesome, I'd also love to see western MMO, CoX-style, in which you could choose to be law-abiding or not.

exis on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fallout.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited March 2008
    Wasn't a Fallout MMO in the works for a while?

Feonis on
    edited March 2008
    Feonis wrote: »
    Wasn't a Fallout MMO in the works for a while?
    Yup. I think he's being witty.

Aldo on