Wherein we trade pictures of Mustang's Mom.

ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
In this thread, we trade pics of Mustang's mom. the skankiest, ugliest, dirtiest, mentally handicapped broad south of the equator.

I'll start it off. Mustang, you chime in first after this and talk about something unrelated, okay?

ManonvonSuperock on

• MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like it, i love the layout. The one thing that bothers me is the wierd perspective on the pinball machine in the third panel. It looks like he's lifting up a bar fridge full of pinball machine components rather than standing before an actual pinball machine. The machine glass should be rotated about 45 degrees to his right and then angled to face upwards, rather than downwards and made about 3rd larger. As I said, I really do like the rest of it, the layout and the concept, but that panel lets it down.

Mustang on
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I'd have to agree, that third panel really does throw me off, too. The size of the machine in relation to the character almost makes it look like one of those cheap $20 tabletop pinball units instead of a full-size cabinet. Unless he's really playing a round of miniature pinball, that panel really needs to be fixed.

Also, I like what you're trying to do with the arrangement of the last few panels, but the way you have them positioned makes it look like he just lost his ball between the two flippers. Kinda gives the impression that while the guy REALLY gets into his pinball... at the same time, he kinda sucks at it.

Not to go off-topic, but I really do miss the presence of pinball in the old arcades of yesterday. Nowadays in this console/PC gaming age, no one really seems to appreciate the old tables and how they required an even blend of skill and luck. It makes me almost want to save up to invest in one of the classic pinball tables I grew up playing. Hell, I'd definitely shell out the cash to get Black Knight, Funhouse or Pinbot in my game room.

PeterAndCompany on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, redoing that panel to increase the size of the machine, put it at the right angle, and at the right height was the first on my list of things to correct/add if I had had more time. The impression of the pinball passing through the flippers was intentional, hinting at the fact that, no matter how skilled the kid is at the game, it still has an element of luck and to lose is inevitable. Another addition I had wanted to make was a series of digit counters, showing an absurdly elevating score in the white space between the last two panels.

Also, to continue going off-topic, I know what you mean about the lack of tables. I was visiting my hometown for spring break while working on this and had a hell of a time trying to track down a table to take reference photos of.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User
    edited March 2008
    If you're really into old tables and can't find any actual tables to play, try looking into the "Pinball Hall of Fame" series of console games by Crave Entertainment. They're on the PS2/Wii/PSP, and feature faithful digital recreations of classic tables, right down to the actual sounds and accurate ball physics. They even included all of their original pamphlets/advertisements and instructions. The first collection came out three years ago and featured the Gottlieb tables, dating back to the 1940's, and they just released a second one last month with the Williams tables (Pinbot, Funhouse, etc... which is by far the superior collection, in my opinion, with more ramps per table and better goals). You can find both games on Amazon or eBay for about 20 bucks or less each (good luck finding them in stores -- GameStop doesn't even acknowledge that the Williams collection exists). They'd probably make for some good reference material, and even though they are honestly a poor excuse for a real table, at this point it's nice to at least have SOMETHING that honors the classics.

I just checked on eBay and you can apparently get the Williams' "Taxi" table for about $1,000 refurbished. For some reason I thought they would be more expensive than that.

PeterAndCompany on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah. ipdb.com, internet pinball database eventually gave me what i need, as well as a broken goldeneye machine at a go-kart place back home. i was simply without net access for the time though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your wizard looks like The Dude.

I love it.

Edited for proof.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr