As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Vista operated laptop doesn't turn off

ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
What do I do? D:

Yesterday I tried to but when I woke up, 11 hours later it was still displaying the 'ending user session' or what the hell is the equivalent in the english version :?

Impersonator on

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For now, just take the battery out. For the real solution, first you're gonna need a young priest and an old priest...

Bama on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, are you serious about the battery thing?

Impersonator on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, in the past when I've seen Windows machines do what you're talking about I just power them down and restart. I haven't been using Vista long, but I haven't yet had that happen.

I guess you could just use the power button too, but the battery thing is funnier (and will always work).

Bama on
    edited March 2008
    Well, the thing is that I'm tired of doing that, there must be a solution for this :?

Impersonator on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you have any peripherals plugged in?

Vista is supposed to have an override thing for laptops; it'll force a shutdown, even if a program is open and asking for your permission to close (unlike XP, which will stay on waiting for confirmation).

I have experienced some shutdown issues based on hardware, such as USB ports that keep sending "wake-up" signals preventing sleep.

What type of laptop is it? Have you checked hardware manufacturer resources?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46747

I'm assuming you tried whatever fixed this for you

bent on
    sig1.png
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Command prompt > shutdown /s -f -t 30 S for shutdown, F for force apps closed, T for time in seconds.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
    edited March 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Do you have any peripherals plugged in?

Vista is supposed to have an override thing for laptops; it'll force a shutdown, even if a program is open and asking for your permission to close (unlike XP, which will stay on waiting for confirmation).

I have experienced some shutdown issues based on hardware, such as USB ports that keep sending "wake-up" signals preventing sleep.

What type of laptop is it? Have you checked hardware manufacturer resources?

Only a microsoft mini-mouse :?

I'm actually considering that this only happens after I turn on my computer after I tell him to hibernate, can this actually be the problem?
    bent wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46747

I'm assuming you tried whatever fixed this for you

It actually didn't fix it for me. :(
    bigwah wrote: »
    Command prompt > shutdown /s -f -t 30 S for shutdown, F for force apps closed, T for time in seconds.

Will I have to type this before I tell my computer to shutdown?

Impersonator on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bigwah wrote: »

Will I have to type this before I tell my computer to shutdown?

Typing that will shut it down. As soon as you hit enter you have 30 seconds (unless you change the time). You could put it in a bat file, and just double click it when you want to shutdown.

Of course this doesnt fix your problem, only allows you to ignore it for longer.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."