As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo 3?

MrWigglezMrWigglez Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So apparently there have been a few rumors in the past few days that Diablo 3 is in production. So I decided to track down as much as i could and post it here too see what everyone thinks. (If there another diablo 3 thread going on somewhere can you please link it, i looked for a while and couldn't find anything)

There have been several job postings on blizzards site that are looking for people to work with the team behind diablo 1 and 2.
New Position - Lead 3D Level Designer
The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for a skilled lead 3D level designer with experience building levels using Maya or other similar 3D level building tools. The ideal candidate has experience creating levels in a senior or lead role on a shipped game. We would also like for this candidate to have excellent analytical understanding of competitive online play with various Blizzard Entertainment games and mods (real-time strategy, World of Warcraft, Defense of the Ancients, etc.). The lead level designer needs to be able to create fun and interesting environments that look and play great while managing and mentoring a team of additional level designers. For more information, check out the posting.

New Position - Senior 3D Level Designer
The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for a skilled senior 3D level designer with experience building levels using Maya or other similar 3D level-building tools. The ideal candidate has created levels on a shipped game. We would also like for this candidate to have excellent analytical understanding of competitive online play with various Blizzard Entertainment games and mods (real-time strategy, World of Warcraft, Defense of the Ancients, etc.). The senior level designer needs to be able to create fun and interesting environments that look and play great while mentoring the junior members of the level design team. For more information, check out the posting.

New Position - 3D Level Designer
The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for a skilled 3D level designer with experience building levels using Maya or other similar 3D level-building tools. The ideal candidate has created and distributed levels in the fan/mod community, or has industry experience on a shipped game. We would also like for this candidate to have excellent analytical understanding of competitive online play with various Blizzard Entertainment games and mods (real-time strategy, World of Warcraft, Defense of the Ancients, etc.). For more information, check out the posting.

New Position - Associate 3D Level Designer
The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for a skilled associate 3D level designer with experience building levels using Maya or other similar 3D level building tools. The ideal candidate has created and distributed levels in the fan/mod community, or has industry experience on a shipped game. We would also like for this candidate to have excellent analytical understanding of competitive online play with various Blizzard Entertainment games and mods (real-time strategy, World of Warcraft, Defense of the Ancients, etc.). For more information, check out the posting.

And then this was posted on the diablo3.com boards
http://www.factornews.com/news-22915...os.html?page=2 I know it's in french but it basicly says that a source very close to the project confirmed that they had been working on Diablo 3 for a while now and that it's actually in a pretty advanced stage. Apparently it's not going to be an MMO and like Starcraft 2 will use the battlenet system. Battlenet will have a makeover to version 2.0. I have no idea how reliable that is but I found it on Clubic.com which is a very respected tech news website

Full translation by Lyquid

Here's a bit of a cleaned up version; hopefully nothing was mistranslated.

One of our reporters has gone fishing for information on Diablo 3. A well-informed source has told him many cool things about the future of a huge Blizzard game whose development is already well under way. First, and this is not really a surprise, the game will be done in true 3D. If the graphics are as successful as Starcraft 2, it will be awesome.

The game will not be an MMO, but a classic hack'n slash. Battle.net will be completely renovated and will support Starcraft 2 as well. A new class which is kind of an evil sorcerer who can invoke control over insects and detonate them remotely - a bit like the Necro from Diablo 2, who walked around with his hordes of summoned creatures will be added.. We can't wait for the first images and a nice cinematic to come out.

So what do you guys think? Is blizzards mystery project diablo 3? Or are these just more of the same crackpot diablo 3 theories that seem to surface before every major Blizzard related event?

MrWigglez on

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wrong section.

And there's been speculation about D3 for years. I won't get my hopes up.

Tav on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Will not be an MMO"

Hmm, I wonder which forum this would go in...

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It might not be an MMO, they might say it's not an MMO, but considering how fully the last one owned my soul (and free time), it might as well be here.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    its actually a 3D lost vikings game

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd play it.

And still get my ass kicked by unfairness.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Having never played D1 or D2 I'd certainly be interesting trying D3 whenever it comes out.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cormac wrote: »
    Having never played D1 or D2 I'd certainly be interesting trying D3 whenever it comes out.

D2 is pretty neat if you like click click click, clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick-games.
    click

mirarant on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Never played Warcraft 2, either, did you?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Sadly no. I've never been a fan of RTS games. However a lot of people in my guild play WC3 regularly, mostly DOTA, and if I wasn't broke I'd buy the Battlechest, learn how to play, and join the fun.

I'm getting the feeling I'm a person that has been deprived of many of the pleasures of a number of older still much loved games.

Cormac on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Sadly no. I've never been a fan of RTS games. However a lot of people in my guild play WC3 regularly, mostly DOTA, and if I wasn't broke I'd buy the Battlechest, learn how to play, and join the fun.

So you've never actually played the games that made Blizzard famous. D:

Diablo was the shit, and Diablo 2 also, to a lesser degree. Warcraft 2 is dated beyond belief, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

So you've never actually played the games that made Blizzard famous. D:

D: face indeed. Sorry, so very sorry.

Cormac on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Never too late to start. I made a new game in D1 the other day.

You'll miss the wow factor of the graphics, which were to 1996 what UE 3 looks like today, but its still damn fun. D2 is more addicting and has more replayability, but its missing most of the soul of the first game. Kind of like Fallout 2 to Fallout 1. Luckily, you can get both games for really cheap!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I remember the first time I saw WC2.

I didn't have the game, my cousin did. And I thought it was so cool to be able to make archers and chop wood to make buildings and stuff.

SabinXL on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am approaching "eat my own cock" levels of confidence that Blizzard will not release Diablo III (at least as a super-addictive hack n' slash, free online playable game) while WoW is as popular as it is. Maybe, maybe, they'd just release it on the consoles (since that's the one market that they've yet to conquer), but even then that'd be pissing off a HUGE amount of people, so it's highly doubtful.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll tell you . . . I am more excited for the future of battle.net then I am anything else.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I...I kill Garbad in my dreams sometimes.
    Maybe I made that up, but still. Garbad.

I'd really like to see some innovation this time on Blizzard's part. Diablo 2 was a natural progression from Diablo, but I'd like to see some out of the box thinking for some of the systems in play/how the classes work.

Even if that doesn't happen, I'll still buy the game and pour my life into it. There needs to be some character customization at least though. I want to see some barbarian females killing fools right next to male assassins...not really male amazons, though.

Toothy on