As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ITT: PS3 as a media powerhouse

RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
I've just bought a PS3, and its awesomeness in games and blue ray is amazing.. but I want more

Every web query I do returns old info, info on what is to come or what is speculation.. But I hear that the PS3 can function as a media center, and I want to connect it to my existing Ubuntu server holding music, photos, xvid shows ,etc..

How is this accomplished easily? I've discovered MediaTomb but it seems klunky and says that xvid .avi files are unsupported, even though the 2.1 update should have given it to me.

Should I install linux on the ps3? I would rather use it natively... halp?

sig_civwar.jpg
Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
RoundBoy on

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You might try TVersity.

It's easy to set up, and it works for me pretty dang well.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bless your heart sir, I thought this topic was going to be dead.

I have about 1/2 my xvids working... I still don't know the criteria for what will play and what won't. My biggest issue now is organization... I need to specify the top level container for everything using mediatomb, but its annoying when a photos folder shows up under music..

I'll give that a try.

EDIT: Ewwww... windows? No open source linux projects ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Try TwonkyMedia, it's pretty full featured, supports Linux, and has wide support of various formats, including Xvid.

You do have to pay for it ($40, with 30day trial) and it's not open source, but it's the best and most supported DLNA server out there that's multiplatform.

Edit: I might have spoken too soon. I did a quick google search and found a upcoming open source project called "Fuppes" which claims to have basic DLNA support and uses ffmpeg for its video decoding/transcoding (which means it supports pretty much any video format). It also has mp3 and image file support as well. I haven't tried it, but you can see if it fits your needs.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php