As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Possible hard drive issue

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi folks,

I got this Samsung hard drive a few weeks ago to be used as a second hard drive in my relatively shiny new PC. It's a SATA 500GB internal hard drive.

One of the first things I noticed was that when I occasionally attempt to access files on it, my PC will sort of freeze for about 3-4 seconds, accompanied by a distinct whirr noise that goes from low to high-pitched. Then I hear a "click" and the contents of the folder appear, and all is peachy.

I first noticed it when I was playing Audiosurf. I had transferred my mp3 collection to that drive and it will always do this with the first song I load up. Sometimes, it'll freeze up about 10 seconds inot that first song and the music will skip for about 5 seconds before returning to normal. The game plays normally afterwards with whatever songs I play.

This doesn't seem like normal behavior. I've checked the power settings in the control panel to see if there was anything that kept it in a low-power state or something. I've also checked the bios for anything that might be relevant. I've found nothing there. I am running on 32-bit Vista. The motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It seems that today or tomorrow might be the last day to put in for an RMA. Would it be advisable to return it and get something else?

SteevL on

• Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If it were me, I would. Hard Drives crap out enough without warning, you don't need a brand new one dying in a few weeks/months.

Always backup your stuff too, I've been victim of catastrophic data loss, it's not fun.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"