As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Final Crisis Thread

Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Graphic Violence
The Final Crisis Thread
FNLCR_copy.jpg
Written by Grant Morrison and drawn by JG Jones
Who's involved?
Well, according to Grant Morrison, just about everybody, starting with Anthro and ending with Kamandi. There will also be a shit ton of villians, all being grouped together by the formerly goofy now badass looking
LIBRA-ad.jpg
Libra
Not much is known about him right now, but we'll find out more in Justice League of America #21 (May 28th) and of course, in Final Crisis.

Final Crisis #1 - On Sale May 28
9276_400x600.jpg
Witness the historic start of the final chapter in the Crisis trilogy that could only spring from the mind of Grant Morrison — Final Crisis, featuring stunning art by J.G. Jones (52 Covers)! Worlds will live and heroes will die in this epic tale spanning the beginning and end of the DC Universe!
The entire Multiverse is threatened as the mysterious Libra assembles an army of the DCU's most terrifying super villains. But what is the ultimate plan, and who will live to find out?

Final Crisis #2 - On Sale June 25
9482_400x600.jpg
Meet Japan's number one pop culture heroes, the Super Young Team and their languid leader, Most Excellent Superbat! Join legendary wrestler Sonny Sumo and super escape artist Mister Miracle as they team to face the offspring of the Anti-Life Equation! See Earth's superheroes mourn one of their oldest allies! Witness costumed criminals sinking to new depths of cowardice and depravity as Libra takes things too far! Uncover the doomsday secrets of the poisoned city of Blüdhaven! Learn the shocking identity of the prime suspect in the murder of a god! And read on if you dare as Batman becomes the first of Earth's champions to face the Fallen of Apokolips. All this and a spectacular return from the dead...
(Could this be the Bart Allen tease coming to fruition?)
What should I read before I get Final Crisis?
You should definately get DC Universe #0, which is basically a 'snapshot' of the DCU following Countdown and before Final Crisis. And shit, it's only 50 cents, so buy a few for your friends!

Ok..talk about it.

Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
PSN: OrneryRooster
Bad Karma on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    final crisis yeah right

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So pumped.

Furu on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think Flash is a skrull that's why his book has been so bad lately. Oh wait wrong summer event. I'm actually going to give this a shot even though I stopped reading count down a long time ago

smokmnky on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think we are all praying that this has as little to do with Countdown as possible smok

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm looking forward to final crisis. Not so much because it is the beginning of a good story, but because it marks the end of a bad one.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I think Flash is a skrull that's why his book has been so bad lately. Oh wait wrong summer event. I'm actually going to give this a shot even though I stopped reading count down a long time ago

You don't need to read Countdown for Final Crisis. Just pick up DC Universe #0 and you should be all set.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What Bart Allen tease? You mean the Lightning Saga stuff? He had no connection to the speedforce when he died, and the Legion wasn't expecting Wally when they were trying to resurrect someone (plus Bart died mere hours before Wally showed up). It doesn't make sense for it to be Bart.

Obviously they tried to pull Max Mercury out of the speedforce....... =)

Seriously, we all know who the Speedster made famous by the term "Crisis" is.

In any event, Countdown just stopped making sense at all so I'm not as interested as I should be in "Final" (until the next one) Crisis since I'm not sure what we're supposed to even suspect is the big deal? Darkseid achieves hsi goal and kills Jimmy, absorbs the power, and tries to recreate the universe/multiverse to his liking? Mary Marvel goes back to evil and kills everyone she can get her ahdns on like Adam did? the virus hops to New earth adn spreads across the universe?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah i don't have any clue what this is supposed to be about

Rans on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What Bart Allen tease? You mean the Lightning Saga stuff?

No, I mean the fact that during panels it's been mentioned that he (w)could be making a return, add that to a lot of quick "no comment" remarks and dirty looks from Bob Wayne leads me to believe that he's in the running for a return.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DOGS WILL FIGHT OTHER DOGS

Bloods End on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "It isn't a Crisis without a dead Flash."

august on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    What Bart Allen tease? You mean the Lightning Saga stuff?

No, I mean the fact that during panels it's been mentioned that he (w)could be making a return, add that to a lot of quick "no comment" remarks and dirty looks from Bob Wayne leads me to believe that he's in the running for a return.

Oh then that's greta. =) considering in one panel last year they admitted that Bart was killed "just because" and I added Bart to my list of perfectly viable heroes that DC killed just for shock value. Although this might fly in the face of death not being a revolving door anymore, I want Impulse back you bastards. At the evry least he should be young again, not more "weight of the world is on my shoulders adult" Bart.

EDIT Also, I was implying Barry is in the lightning rod, and should probably be making his presence felt since he is the whole reason there's still a universe/multiverse to be bitching about the last 20+ years..

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    batman dies and comes back all in FC #2

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »
    "It isn't a Crisis without a dead Flash."
    Maybe his kids will die of old age.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That would...be dumb.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They have to stick with the kids. I know a lot of people don't like them, but taking kids away from a hero is worse than having to make it work. It would also add a metric ton of angst to Wally.

Lux on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After the fuck-up of Countdown I'm very much looking forward to this, if theres anyone I would trust with a huge series like this it's Grant.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was joking.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    8:10:19 PM Keith: oh what the fuck
    8:10:24 PM Keith: the cover to next week's countdown
    8:10:48 PM Keith: has mary marvel's costume changing from white to black
    8:11:12 PM Jake: yeah they pretty much said she was gonna be with Darkseid for Final Crisis
    8:11:18 PM Keith: dumb
    8:11:27 PM Jake: yesh
    8:11:29 PM Keith: i just hope she kills supergirl
    8:15:24 PM Jake: that'd be nice
    8:15:37 PM Jake: screw flash, crisis need a dead supergirl
    8:16:22 PM Keith: or linda danvers shows up and punches kara's head off

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    8:10:19 PM Keith: oh what the fuck
    8:10:24 PM Keith: the cover to next week's countdown
    8:10:48 PM Keith: has mary marvel's costume changing from white to black
    8:11:12 PM Jake: yeah they pretty much said she was gonna be with Darkseid for Final Crisis
    8:11:18 PM Keith: dumb
    8:11:27 PM Jake: yesh
    8:11:29 PM Keith: i just hope she kills supergirl
    8:15:24 PM Jake: that'd be nice
    8:15:37 PM Jake: screw flash, crisis need a dead supergirl
    8:16:22 PM Keith: or linda danvers shows up and punches kara's head off
    That would turn Countdown from terrible to awesome.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That would turn Countdown from terrible to awesome.

Wrong book.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    we're talking about final crisis

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Making a "Final" crisis seems kinds nuts to me. What about in twenty years, when DC comics wants to reboot and shit their paradigm again? But I guess by then we'll all be downloading comics direct to our cortex vis the Worldmind.

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Maybe...just maybe...it's retiring the word Crisis.

Obviously it's not the end of big universe shaping summer events.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »
    Making a "Final" crisis seems kinds nuts to me. What about in twenty years, when DC comics wants to reboot and shit their paradigm again? But I guess by then we'll all be downloading comics direct to our cortex vis the Worldmind.

They'll just use a different name.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Post-Final Crisis

So Long and Thanks for All the Crisis

august on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Crisis at the End of the Crisis

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Final Crisis: Part II.

august on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Infinite Kettle of - oh wait

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The reason I'm really optimistic about Final Crisis, other than the creative team, is that it sounds like they made it to tell a story, and not to reboot/fix/explain continuity errors. It sucks that we have to have reality punches and zero hours to explain simple storytelling fuck ups. So much work just to be able to come up with a complicated answer to why there was a futuristic Jonah Hex.

Lux on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Morrison's already said this isn't going to reboot jack.

It appears to just be a big story. Not something status quo shattering, just enjoyable.

Furu on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rans wrote: »

One of the big deals (if not THE big deal) about this Crisis revolves around the New Gods completely manifesting on Earth. That supposedly the way we've seen them up till now has just been a physical shell as to not screw up a regular person's mind. The Mr. Miracle part of 7 Soldiers dealt with this, abiet showing the NGs in more hidden forms. Seeing as Morrison said the 7 Soldiers story would play a factor in FC, we may be seeing Darkseid again in this form.

Darkseid_7s.gif

Owenashi on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »

One of the big deals (if not THE big deal) about this Crisis revolves around the New Gods completely manifesting on Earth. That supposedly the way we've seen them up till now has just been a physical shell as to not screw up a regular person's mind. The Mr. Miracle part of 7 Soldiers dealt with this, abiet showing the NGs in more hidden forms. Seeing as Morrison said the 7 Soldiers story would play a factor in FC, we may be seeing Darkseid again in this form.

Pimpseid

Yeah, I believe it was hinted in interviews that some of the 7SoV book took place in the future. Miracle and his worm hole jumping is probably that.

Algertman on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not too excited about Final Crisis. I'm sure it'll be great in that insane Grant Morrison way, but anything that happens will be too high concept and insanely off the wall for any regular writer to do anythign with. So, if it changes anything in the DCU that a Grant Morrison or a Warren Elllis or what have you isn't writing, it's going to end up retconned as quick as possible or be one big turd of a story.

Think Morrison's New X-Men. It wasn't retconned because it was bad. How could a writer like Austen pick up after that run? The whole MLK / Malcom X / Xavier / Magneto deal was destroyed and Mags is now an unredeemable drug abusing hypocrite that went and set up his own little holocaust in downtown New York and was killed off rather definitively. He had pyschic twin baby entities and secondary mutations and all kinds of insanity that regular writers can't wrap their head around. They end up taking these concepts and butchering them as they don't understand them and just try to ape what Morrison did. In the end, Marvel had to almost soft reboot the X-Men to undo just about everything Morrion wrought so they could start telling regular X-Men stories again.

That's how I see Final Crisis playing out. It'll probably pick up on everything in the Seven Soldiers stuff, redefine the New Gods for all kinds of craziness, shake up a bunch of heroes and villains with new Morrison-esque ideas and in 6 months time everything will be retconned away or be a shadow of what was set up in FC.

KVW on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When did the predicted aftermath of a story overtake storytelling itself as the chief cause for anticipation?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    selderaneselderane Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Am I the only one on the planet that actually enjoys Countdown? I actually look forward to it each week! I'm not going to say the story is the best thing I've ever read but it certianly isn't the worst. I'll agree that 52 stunk pretty bad. But I have all the individual issues anyway because I'm a completist. But I think Countdown is a damned sight better than 52.

As for Final Crisis: I'm looking forward to it and I'm trying to stay ignorant of the details. I know Grant Morrison can tell a fine yarn so I'm not too concerned. Morrison is calling Final Crisis the Lord of the Rings of the DCU. Those are some damned big shoes he's stepping in to if that's what he's aiming for. I hope he pulls it off.

selderane on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure Chuck Austen retconning Morrisson's X-Men had more to do with him not understanding/not reading/not caring than anything else.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    52 is unarguably better than Countdown in every way

Using your post as evidence, I have concluded that you are retarded.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    selderane wrote: »
    Am I the only one on the planet that actually enjoys Countdown? I actually look forward to it each week! I'm not going to say the story is the best thing I've ever read but it certianly isn't the worst. I'll agree that 52 stunk pretty bad. But I have all the individual issues anyway because I'm a completist. But I think Countdown is a damned sight better than 52.

As for Final Crisis: I'm looking forward to it and I'm trying to stay ignorant of the details. I know Grant Morrison can tell a fine yarn so I'm not too concerned. Morrison is calling Final Crisis the Lord of the Rings of the DCU. Those are some damned big shoes he's stepping in to if that's what he's aiming for. I hope he pulls it off.

You're insane because 52 was actually really good except for World War III and Countdown is a billion times worse.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    selderane wrote: »

You're insane because 52 was actually really good except for World War III and Countdown is a billion times worse.

Yeah, 52 was pretty much better than countdown in every way.

Unlike most people here, I don't hate Countdown. It isn't terrible for the most part. It might even be good, but it most certainly is not great. I think the worst part of it is how stagnant the story seems. Maybe it is because I read 52 in trades, but when I think back on Countdown it just seems like almost nothing has actually happened. In 52 it seemed like every week the story (I should say stories because it followed the plotlines of several characters) was progressing and in Countdown it seems like they are trying to stretch very little story over a very long time.

I like Countdown, but after jumping staight from reading 52 in trade to reading the Countdown weekly I can't say that I am not disappointed in it.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
This discussion has been closed.