As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Momentous Occassions of the Week 03/26/08

Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
Blue Beetle #25 - Another great issue to a great arc.
Blue_Beetle_25_07.jpg

Blue_Beetle_25_08.jpg

All Star Superman #10 - Surprise surprise, Morrison and Quitely do it again. Apparently Superman created it all!
2qkjg34.jpg

2vubno0.jpg

I also enjoyed Teen Titans and JSA Classified. Clock King is....kind of sick...but JSA Classified is the place to be for Wildcat fans. More to read!

Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
PSN: OrneryRooster
Bad Karma on

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blue Beetle is the best damn thing in the whole universe.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Blue Beetle is the best damn thing in the whole universe.

A universe created by Superman, written by Grant Morrison, and created by Superman!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mighty Avengers and New Avengers both have Skrully tones in them, though MA was more under while NA was more over.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blue Beetle 25, definitely

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Superman is God.
    A universe created by Superman, written by Grant Morrison, and created by Superman!
    The recursiveness of it all. I mean, damn.

Lux on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    god, all-star superman was so great this week.

the page where he
    stops the goth kid from jumping and gives him a hug totally pulled on the old heartstrings, and that ending is terrific. you can't create a world without superman, even if you're superman!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    plus he totally
    heals the lame!

man, messiah much, superman?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have a ton, this was a great week.

New Avengers #39:
    great great all around issue, even if it was about Echo. I buy her on the team now, I buy her past with Logan, I buy her connection with Clint and I buy a million times the Mack artwork

Mighty Avengers #11:
    "You saw Luke Cage naked?"

Ultimate Spider-Man: every single panel, but especially the conversation in MJ's backyard.

X-Men Legacy:
    Xavier about to lay the smackdown on Exodus

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    New Avengers #39:
    I buy a million times the Mack artwork

Really? 'Cause I really didn't like it (and it's rare for me to even notice flaws in artwork; I think reading this forum has made me more critical).

That being said, I liked the issue. Also, it's making me think:
    If you want to infiltrate a team, what better way than to secretly replace one of the members (like Echo), and then semi-secretly try to replace the replacement (like Skrulldevil tried to do, in front of Wolverine)? Now you've got a Skrull on the inside AND at least one person on the team thinks that said Skrull is for reals, because oh, why would the Skrulls want to replace Echo unless she was the real Echo?

Unless Wolverine is himself a Skrull.

It's going to end up that all of Marvel U is sleeper Skrulls at this point, and they don't even realize how deeply they've all infiltrated.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What didnt you like about the art?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, was that Daredevil supposed to be THE Daredevil switched out? Or is the real Daredevil running around and that was just another Skrull trying to mess with Echo?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    uh you should spoiler that shit dude, but to answer your question
    It was just pretending to be DD long enough so that it could replace her

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    So, was that Daredevil supposed to be THE Daredevil switched out? Or is the real Daredevil running around and that was just another Skrull trying to mess with Echo?

Nope, it was just some skrull with combined powers acting like Daredevil. The original daredevil is probably crying @ some building top at those moments.

Dreamon on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My MotW was Teen Titans actually being half-decent for a change. The Cassie/Tim scenes are awful and Cassie is being made out to be the least likable character in the universe, but Rose is a badass.

Image stolen from scans_daily:
    badassrosesn0.jpg

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bum.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

OK, maybe "really didn't like" was too strong on my part. I went back and glanced over the issue after I made the post, and by-and-large it was fine. Some parts were even dang pretty. But there were some things that jumped out at me and sort of negated the prettiness. For example, a couple of pages in, when Logan's saying something (don't remember the exact page or panel), his mouth looks like an alien organism that's flown in from the second planet orbiting Sirius A and set up shop directly on Logan's face. Whenever Echo's face is drawn in profile, her nose looks incredibly long and curved (admittedly, this isn't a matter of the artist's proficiency, as it's a perfectly fine long, curved nose; it's just that I've never seen her drawn that way, so as far as I'm concerned she doesn't look that way, so the drawing isn't accurate). Some of the action sequences made me cringe a little bit because they made me think of the 90's, but I'm not sure if I have a well-articulated complaint here.

Also, remember how some time ago we were all having an argument about, if I'm not mistaken, Yu's art, on New Avengers, and someone complained how there are no backgrounds? Well, this week's issue seriously has two backgrounds when the characters are outside: "water tower" and "color gradient". I don't particularly mind, but I thought it was kind of amusing.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Superman curing the kids was the most sweetest wonderful thing I think I have ever read in a comic

Algertman on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dont forget the preview for #11.
    Last Will and Awesomeness.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    ASS was so good.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    ASS was so good.

but what do you think about all star superman?

HEY-OH

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    She-Hulk:

Last issue, an alien took a human couple hostage. She-Hulk and her Skrull friend managed to save the husband, but not the wife.

This issue, the man's story of alien invaders and She-Hulk is deemed a poor cover for the murder of his wife by his hands, and it's up to She-Hulk to clear his name. This involves calling a rival from her old law firm to handle the case, which leads to Iron Man himself showing up to vouch for the story. Later...
    shehulk4xu7.jpg

shehulk2hx9.jpg

shehulk1or1.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yay! QWEWQ!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

OK, maybe "really didn't like" was too strong on my part. I went back and glanced over the issue after I made the post, and by-and-large it was fine. Some parts were even dang pretty. But there were some things that jumped out at me and sort of negated the prettiness. For example, a couple of pages in, when Logan's saying something (don't remember the exact page or panel), his mouth looks like an alien organism that's flown in from the second planet orbiting Sirius A and set up shop directly on Logan's face. Whenever Echo's face is drawn in profile, her nose looks incredibly long and curved (admittedly, this isn't a matter of the artist's proficiency, as it's a perfectly fine long, curved nose; it's just that I've never seen her drawn that way, so as far as I'm concerned she doesn't look that way, so the drawing isn't accurate). Some of the action sequences made me cringe a little bit because they made me think of the 90's, but I'm not sure if I have a well-articulated complaint here.

Also, remember how some time ago we were all having an argument about, if I'm not mistaken, Yu's art, on New Avengers, and someone complained how there are no backgrounds? Well, this week's issue seriously has two backgrounds when the characters are outside: "water tower" and "color gradient". I don't particularly mind, but I thought it was kind of amusing.

Well, David Mack is the guy who created Echo. So I'm inclined to trust his take on the character.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Her nose did look rather odd in profile, but I think part of that was the shadowing and framing of the beginning of the issue.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blue Beetle, Superman, and Teen Titans were all good times.

Mighty Avengers makes me hope to God that Bendis never writes Doom ever again. I was rolling my eyes at every line from his mouth.

Furu on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Add me to the All-Star Superman bandwagon. I think it might have been perfect, but I need to read it a few times more. I think it might be my favorite appearance of Superman outside of the Dark Knight Returns.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Then you probably shouldn't read SI then since Doom should have a fairly big role. I'll say that there were some occasions in previous issues that Doom sounded too Bendisy for my taste but I thought this issue wasn't bad.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I liked Doom's inner and outer monologues....

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I had no problem with Doom's dialogue, although he had a few too many thought bubbles (and I usually don't mind the thought bubbles)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been saying there's been too many thought bubbles in MA in general since day one.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You know what I hate? When the thought bubbles mirror the spoken words.
    Hate it when they mirror the spoken words!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like the thought bubbles, I just thought that one page where Doom has like 6 of them all in one big panel was a bit much.

And I think it's important to note that Bendis was writing Doom incredibly stressed/pissed off. He wasn't his usual calm self cause think about it - he was just chillin in the past having some evil sex with the Djurdjevic-alicous Morgan Le Fay, he comes back to the present to find his county being ivaded by these asshats after an untested weapon accidently went off in New York.

He is in total FUCK YOU ASSHOLES I WILL KILL YOU mode.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After reading MA #11 I'm not quite sure what Doom will do in SI. He can either take on the Skrulls or try and get revenge on the Sentry for
    ripping his armor off.
    Since this is Doom, probably both.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    unless Doom is a skrull

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, that close up of doom's eye was pretty awesome.

You dont fuck with doom like that.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Add me to the All-Star Superman bandwagon. I think it might have been perfect, but I need to read it a few times more. I think it might be my favorite appearance of Superman outside of the Dark Knight Returns.

why would that be your favorite Superman appearance

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So in Blue Beetle, did anyone else get the feeling that Rogers was setting up the possibility of a future JLI team?
    The whole, "In the end, they decide it was just luck that they were the ones who saved me. Me... I'm not so sure," thing that Jaime says has a very Justice League/Avengers heroes-drawn-together-by-fate feel to it. And we know Rogers has an ongoing coming up.

Blue Beetle was really just a very good issue all around. I would have liked more Booster, but for as much stuff as Rogers had to wrap up, it was put together really well. I also loved a bunch of the little touches Albuquerque threw in. Like Guy Gardner doing a, "Dude, what the fuck?" motion to Booster when Ice hugs him, or at the end when Ice chills Guy's beer for him. I enjoy little things like that.

Also, this:
    bluebeetle25aqh8.jpg

Okay Jaime, you can stay.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Teen Titans was actually not abysmal, thankfully. The Tim/Cassie pages were dumb, and the "lol texting and picture messaging" was stupid, but the rest wasn't bad. I completely forgot about Rose's precognition powers.

Although they were going a bit nuts in this issue.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If we can have Extreme Jusice League, surely we can have a fun Justice League as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Teen Titans was actually not abysmal, thankfully. The Tim/Cassie pages were dumb, and the "lol texting and picture messaging" was stupid, but the rest wasn't bad. I completely forgot about Rose's precognition powers.

Although they were going a bit nuts in this issue.

I like that they remembered it, but I think it's really bizarre that it just comes out of nowhere when it's been ignored for so long. It makes you wonder why the hell she hasn't been seeing the future before this one convenient moment.

And I don't remember it ever working that well in the past.

Darth Nat on