As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our civic responsibilities as voters

grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm sure there's no clear answer and that even if there were one, it would include some from A and some from B and some that I haven't mentioned, but what do you think our responsibilities are as voters (this is in reference to the U.S., but can apply elsewhere).

A) We should vote for what we believe is best for the city/nationa/(world?), whether or not it benefits or harms us as individuals (ie: vote for taxes that would fall in your own bracket and negatively affect your quality of life, even though it would benefit the country as a whole).

or

B) We should vote in our own self-interest, and trust that if everyone votes in their own interestes, our wants/needs would be democratically addressed.

grendel824_ on

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The majority of people vote in their own interest, rather than in what they profess to believe. It's why we have a two party system. People who vote their utopian ideals usually end up throwing their vote away.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can't get A because there isn't enough selflessness in the world to get a right answer, so we have to stick to B, which really, is a pretty freakin' sweat deal.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A) We should vote for what we believe is best for the city/nationa/(world?), whether or not it benefits or harms us as individuals (ie: vote for taxes that would fall in your own bracket and negatively affect your quality of life, even though it would benefit the country as a whole).

That one. I don't know why we would assume that people's individual selfish votes will even out to the best course of action. It's perfectly possible for the minority to just get screwed.

MrMister on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MrMister wrote: »

That one. I don't know why we would assume that people's individual selfish votes will even out to the best course of action. It's perfectly possible for the minority to just get screwed.

Nothing complex would ever get done if we all voted B. Nasa? Fuck that, I want a playstation! Help foreign countries? No way, I want to go to disney land!

Only short sighted interests would be helped.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I didn't even think about the ability to screw over future generations by voting your self-interest.

MrMister on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Except that we (well, I) rarely have referendum initiatives come before us and instead vote for legislators to act in our perceived self interest in the capitol. We then influence them as we desire or rant on the internets about how they don't divine our wants regardless of the lack of correspondence.

Which is what can make it a far more difficult dillema to approach than if this were a true Democracy, but one which works out for the best. I may be in favour of Candidate A's environmental policies and social legislation, but disapprove of the forced sodomy of box turtles bill he cosponsored. Meanwhile I rather like Candidate B's understanding of complex economic problems, but take issue with his puppy slaughtering proposals. I'm fucked. However, if all of those issues came up before the hoi polloi every damn week or something odds are we'd never get anything done, or, worse, noone but the most rabid of box turtle sex enthusiasts even bother to participate in the process rendering it more illegitimate.

moniker on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem with both A and B as evidenced by the past 7 years, is that unless the citizenry is well-informed they will continually make poor choices, even ones that aren't in their own self-interests. I blame the vapid media. Honestly, if those GOP dupes ever realized the extent to which Bush used and screwed them over, they'd be incandescent. Same thing goes for that fuck Limbaugh, he's literally selling a message of poverty to working class stiffs with his Reaganomics horseshit. That's why when I hear those maroons I work with prattle off about those "damn liberal media destroying the country" I have an aneurysm, but then I feel some pity for them, because they're victims too.
    Then I have another aneurysm at how monumentally retarded you'd have to be to not see what's going on themselves.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One of the few things I actually enjoyed from my ethics and sociology studies in college was the idea of Utilitarianism. I try to vote in the best interest of the country, even if it means giving up some personal sacrifices.

I'll gladly pay an extra 5% tax if someone is pushing for a plan that would make a real change.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How about we're all effectively disenfranchised anyway, and the only responsible thing to do is move to Florida?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    The problem with both A and B as evidenced by the past 7 years, is that unless the citizenry is well-informed they will continually make poor choices, even ones that aren't in their own self-interests. I blame the vapid media. Honestly, if those GOP dupes ever realized the extent to which Bush used and screwed them over, they'd be incandescent. Same thing goes for that fuck Limbaugh, he's literally selling a message of poverty to working class stiffs with his Reaganomics horseshit. That's why when I hear those maroons I work with prattle off about those "damn liberal media destroying the country" I have an aneurysm, but then I feel some pity for them, because they're victims too.
    Then I have another aneurysm at how monumentally retarded you'd have to be to not see what's going on themselves.

Yeah, it is hard to talk to those people. usually you dont see them long enough to change their minds or they just wont listen to you at all.

I find that if you subtly work into it, rather than straight up disagreeing with them it works better. They dont just close up on you.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    The majority of people vote in their own interest, rather than in what they profess to believe. It's why we have a two party system. People who vote their utopian ideals usually end up throwing their vote away.

This is not only cynical, but wrong. Mid-to-upper income liberals consistently vote against their economic interests, as do low-to-mid income conservatives.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

This is not only cynical, but wrong. Mid-to-upper income liberals consistently vote against their economic interests, as do low-to-mid income conservatives.

This depends on whether you are talking about statistical interest or perceived interest. For instance, many mid-to-upper income liberals believe that they are benefiting from the happiness of others, and many low-mid conservatives believe that they will one day have climbed the economic ladder enough to benefit from the initiatives the voted for.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I live in a country with a multi-party system. I vote for a party whose ambitious core aims I do not always agree with (it's a leftist green party). Why do I do this? Because they are the only party that is actively contributing to every discussion held in parliament. Their general views are in line with mine and they seldom pander to other parties for favors or play into popular scare bullshit like terrorism.

Because I know they will never get their silly unworkable fantasies I don't like voted through, I can safely vote for them. I like them as a minority party outside of the cabinet.

I think people in the western world more or less get what they ask for, provided they have the choice. The problem is that most people are either too ignorant or too apathetic to ask for the right things towards their own and the general best interests.

peterdevore on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Podly wrote: »

This depends on whether you are talking about statistical interest or perceived interest. For instance, many mid-to-upper income liberals believe that they are benefiting from the happiness of others, and many low-mid conservatives believe that they will one day have climbed the economic ladder enough to benefit from the initiatives the voted for.

If you expand the concept of "self interest" to include altruism, the term loses all meaning.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Podly wrote: »

If you expand the concept of "self interest" to include altruism, the term loses all meaning.

Oh, I agree. I'm just talking about the stereotypical white-guilt person. However, I am all for affirmative-action type laws because I think that they are just, and I know a great deal of liberals are as well.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MrMister wrote: »

Well, it's not like anybody is assuming that - they're just assuming that it's more democratic that way because, well, that's the definition of democratic. It's not like we haven't heard of the concept of "tyranny of the majority" - that's why we're a REPRESENTATIVE democracy and have checks and balances and stuff. I'm just interested in seeing all of the different kinds of answers to this question, and I've been rewarded by seeing interesting thoughts on the subject. Yay!

I mean, I already mentioned that it wasn't an "either/or" kind of question. But I'm also sure there are people out there who probably do think one or the other is the "right" answer and might have intriguing reasons for it. And ultimately, unless you're some pulp super-villain, the best interest of your country/world is, most likely, also in your own best interest.

Some kinds of decisions are zero sum games, and some aren't. Sometimes the best course of action is simply to appease the greatest number of people, especially in trivial matters that still end up being a source of disagreement and end up being voted upon.

grendel824_ on