As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Solicitations for June 2008

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Flash isn't all powerful, Geoff Johns was able to write him in such a way that villains like Heatwave, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Murmur et al were actually threatening to him without also making Wally dumb enough to run himself through with a fucking sword

Well, I mean, as I said, in continuity, no, it makes no fucking sense that Flash would run himself through a sword.

At the same time, though, I see how it might also be logical that someone with super speed would be unable to really control himself running towards an enemy, such that if Deathstroke stuck his weapon out at the right moment, he might not be able to respond in time. *shrug*
    Part of Flash's superspeed is super-reflexes

Yeah, it's kind of how he prevents pasting people against a wall whenever he runs down a crowded street.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok since its kind of a Flash thread now. When the Flash moves does he the the world like super-slow-mo bullet time type stuff or is he just able to process things faster and everything just seems like its at normal speed for him but he's moving fast to others?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Ok since its kind of a Flash thread now. When the Flash moves does he the the world like super-slow-mo bullet time type stuff or is he just able to process things faster and everything just seems like its at normal speed for him but he's moving fast to others?

If Flash experienced time as though he were running at normal speed, running around the Earth would be really boring.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

If Flash experienced time as though he were running at normal speed, running around the Earth would be really boring.

Well, whether his reaction time increases hugely or existance slows down around him is rather academic.

I would argue that either way it would feel to him as if everything just slowed the hell down, and that running any great distance IS really boring for him.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, whether his reaction time increases hugely or existance slows down around him is rather academic.

I would argue that either way it would feel to him as if everything just slowed the hell down, and that running any great distance IS really boring for him.
    Maybe he runs faster than the speed of boredom.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Isn't there a TON of documented footage of Batman out there? Like JLA press conferences, public JLA bases, being in newspapers during BOTH Crisis events. Nearly EVERY citizen and official left behind in Gotham during No Man's Land saw him regularly. Then there's Nightwing who's been in public even more than that.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Maybe he runs faster than the speed of boredom.

He still can't run faster than bad news.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    CHUCK #1
    Written by Peter Johnson & Zev Barow
    Art by Jeremy Haun & Phil Noto
    Cover by Phil Noto
    The hit NBC television series comes to comics as Chuck Bartowski and his friends are about to take the world by storm-literally! From series co-executive producer Peter Johnson (Supernatural: Rising Son) and series writer Zev Borow joined with artists Jeremy Haun (The Leading Man) and Phil Noto (Jonah Hex) comes an adventure too big for television!
    In this globe-trotting, action-packed adventure, Chuck will see many exotic locales, dodge numerous bullets, and be tortured by the world's greatest...tickler?
    On sale June 11 o 1 of 6 o 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

okay I like the show and all but what the balls

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    ae0151dbc7iq6.jpg

Backgrounds are hard!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just showed that to Sars over AIM

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That picture is fucking awesome.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    backgrounds are only hard if they're made out of stone or wood or something

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's only fitting that Jerry Ordway is drawing this one.

Excitement level :^::^:

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    I just showed that to Sars over AIM

yeah he showed it to me

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did he tell you the first thing he said to me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »

oh yes I just love the "Alex Ross group pose #2", "Blur out the details", and "Hey look there's no background!"

alex ross you are a master of your craft

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Did he tell you the first thing he said to me

Does it have to do with a post made already in reply to it?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »

oh yes I just love the "Alex Ross group pose #2", "Blur out the details", and "Hey look there's no background!"

alex ross you are a master of your craft

Yeah thats right, I like the picture. Can that be ok with you, you little twat?

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What exactly is a twat?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Bale posted what I was about to. I mean, people with regular human reflexes were able to counter Flash's powers without Flash being portrayed as a total idiot. Area effects are particularly problematic for him.
    Could someone explain this? I haven't read a lot of flash and am having a hard time imagining this.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What exactly is a twat?

Oddly enough there's an entire Wiki page based on the word.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Bale posted what I was about to. I mean, people with regular human reflexes were able to counter Flash's powers without Flash being portrayed as a total idiot. Area effects are particularly problematic for him.
    Could someone explain this? I haven't read a lot of flash and am having a hard time imagining this.

Take Captain Cold as an example; his cold gun is apparently able to create a 'cold field' that slows Flash down just enough for Cold to be able to see him coming and react appropriately. Flash's powers aren't reduced, Flash isn't made out as being an idiot, but the villain is given a bit of a chance.

Kid Flash also had trouble with Mister Element creating fields of fire and the like, IIRC, before he realised that he could dash through them quickly enough that he wouldn't be hurt.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I will never understand the Alex Ross hate on these boards. I mean, it may not be the best...but it ain't bad by a league.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's not bad

It's just boring

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    .....and he refuses to portray character's costumes properly. The guy is like anti-armor, anti-gear, and anti-mask lenses.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You have that wrong. He does portray them properly. In fact, many actually feature seams, like actual costumes do.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Which is why he had Batman wearing a frickin' winter coat in the Justice series even though his costume is heat-insulated and you could always see his eyes which you know...you can't.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Which is why he had Batman wearing a frickin' winter coat in the Justice series even though his costume is heat-insulated and you could always see his eyes which you know...you can't.

Dont forget about his 'triple-reinforced nomex-kevlar' body armor that has the magical properties of taking his exact physical shape to achieve that ultra skin tight look thats been prevalent since the 1940's. I know how much you love that little bit.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah which was shown to actually you know....be there in the latest issue of Batman when he has to burst out of his costume top to get away from the 'Demon' Batman.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah which was shown to actually you know....be there in the latest issue of Batman when he has to burst out of his costume top to get away from the 'Demon' Batman.

Yeah, it's needed for the scene, it magically appears.

And what about Lee Bermejo's Batman? His didn't have multi function lenses glued into a cowl, and worked out damn fine.

Same with Dead End Batman.

I don't get your "anti armor" argument, when artists rarely take the time to make him look like he's actually wearing something other than grey spandex.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well I've never read anything Bermejo drew but I did like his sorta redesign he did on the Gotham Knight covers where the Bat-symbol was connected to his cape and his utility belt looked like it carry a whole shit-ton of stuff without it all being collapsible. Dead End Batman....is that the short film where there were Aliens & Predators?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's just a different style. Like how some people draw Batman with a blue cape & cowl instead of black, or varying ear lengths. I don't see why there's a fuss to keep it up to exact standard. It is still pretty obviously Batman, isn't it?

Lux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dead End Batman....is that the short film where there were Aliens & Predators?

Yes, an example I often use in the silly argument of whether or not a lense-less and "movie armor" -less Batman could work on the big screen.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I honestly don't mind that much. I know what gear Batman has so that's the important part I just honestly don't like Alex Ross. Simple as that and for some reason his Batman portrayal bugs me more than others.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i don't like how he makes everyone wear shiny spandex

they'd be wearing kevlar or nomex or something not shiny

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ....and the winter coat in the Justice series I know I mentioned it like 5 posts ago but it cannot be forgotten. Anways, to get this back on track.....have they shown the other covers for Final Crisis #1 & #2 yet? I know there was supposed to be a second more 'traditional' cover for each issue making it a 50/50 split.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well next time you're at the Fortress of Solitude in your spandex costume without a coat, you'll be sorry.

And no, no other covers have been released.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    also 52 showed this to be the Earth-2 Robin

100pxrobinnewearth2kl7.jpg

but uh-oh that's not silver age!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It actually makes more sense to keep Earth 2 as the Pre Crisis Earth 2, since it was Power Girls Earth. A different Earth 2 wouldn't quite have the same sentimental value.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It doesn't make sense to ignore what you just established

I mean, it's not like Johns wasn't involved with 52 at all

Garlic Bread on