As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EA and buyable weapons

ToastyuterusToastyuterus Registered User new member
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
ok, heres the problem, ea is charging for weapons. ok, so people who want to waste money get better weapons? not quite, upon checking stats of the weapons comparatively i have found that, the downloadable weapons, are worse in more than one aspect than the other guns in their respective brackets (assault rifles to assualt rifles and shotguns to shotguns, etc etc)

The main issue, is that people think it will unbalance the game, entirely. well, according to normal forum folk. and the recent PA comic. albeit undeniably hilarious, is misleading to already mislead people.

then comes the issue, that ea is a money monger, albeit partially true with their gigantic view of needing to devour every gaming company out there, people think that ea will start doing it more and more with more things to get more money, this is a good observation. when you try something and it works why not do it more. but ea aren't dumb, they will only pursue to an extent that people don't get too angry.

now lets think, people be blind alot of the time and decide to hate EA without looking at alot of facts first, and this only fuels their hate. lets look back to things that have happened like this before

first i can think of or remember, is chromehounds, they had many, upon many weapons for sale on the xbox live marketplace, and they were mostly above 200 points, the lowest part is aw was 60 and there were two of those, they may have changed price by now as its so old but regardless. the fact is, this has happened before, and no one bothered to complain about it. and i am very confused as to why, is it because its so immediate? it wasn't introduced later on in the games lifespan? a good way to think of it would be, its like a downloadable gun pack, but it is release now not later. many games have had gunpacks as well. i cant immediately name any off at the moment, because i cant remember which of the many many games i have played had them.

thats my view on it, how you choose to see it is your own prerogative, but these are facts, and i really dont see this as big of a deal as many of you are making it.

Toastyuterus on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    The same thing was occurring in Battlefield 2. If you had the expansion pack, you could use the expansion guns, even on servers that were running base BF2 with people who only had access to the default weapons.

Doc on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    And it was hella unbalanced unless you had that medic gun upgrade from the BF2 expansion!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This isn't really a new thing for EA though. Many of the Korean (or just similarly styled) multiplayer games make money only through microtransactions. Gunbound for example, is fully playable for free and the vast majority of equipment can be bought with the ingame currency gained through wins. But then the game also has good/superior equipment only available through real money or a combination of ingame currency and cash. And it didn't wreck the game. The balance was there - a great player would wipe a newbie off the map even if the newb bought equipment. Only when you had a good player with great equipment were you in serious trouble.

I don't think it's game breaking, especially if the game is then cheaper. Even for multiplayer. It just requires the game to be designed with the weapons/content in mind.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Question: can you pick up weapons other people have paid for if you have not?

Doc on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think this may just be the future, the question is just balance.

Before the advent of systems like the Xbox Live Marketplace, all these hidden guns and such still existed, but they were in-game, unlockable content. Now they extraneous and less a measure of gamer skill, and more a measure of expendable wealth.

I don't like it, but I doubt it's going away. In fact, I know goddamn right fuckin' well it's never going away. We'll just have to catch it early to keep developers in check.

Alternatively, microtransactions with legitimate gameplay altering benefits could be disastrous to a game's reputation and sales, so as long as we keep getting angry on internet forums, it'll probably be all right. I'm even only half joking there.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As a side note nobody cared about the Chromehounds thing because every ran the hell away from it once it became clear how horrible unbalanced Piles were. Such a shame as the game had some fun potential.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Question: can you pick up weapons other people have paid for if you have not?

In BF2 you could, so I don't see why the hell not here...

(In fact, when I used to play with a group, before we all got our upgrades we would specifically target opponents first who we knew to have the unlocks--steal their weapon then wreak havoc)

• Options
    edf242edf242 Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    I dont see why there is such a problem with games becoming unbalanced by being able to buy different weapons/skills etc. for as long as i can remember latency and pc speed have always been a defining factor for the discerning online gamer both of which are largely cash dependent (ie how much you spend on your system/internet provider for bandwidth). Even for console gamers latency still plays a role. I fail to see how purchasing weapons is any different aside from the corporate cash making.

---Edit---

Oh and of course this is a feature that a developer has chosen to add to a game rather than one that is inherent to gaming (ie pc speed etc), i think thast probably why people are pissed. Correct me if i am wrong

edf242 on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem is there are one of two things that will occur. Either the added weapons are worth the money, ie better or add some new feature or ability that everyone needs to have. Or they are just another "balanced" gun that is nothing but a glorified status symbol that very few will put the money down for. If the guns dont add something to the game, noones going to buy them. IF they do add something to the game some of the players will buy them. Others will feel disenfranchised and quite because they dont want to shell out more money to compete.

Horrible idea all around.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    To me it's not a problem with balancing the gameplay so much as it is nickel-and-diming the consumer. Downloadable content packages are awesome and I'm all for them, but this is silly. What's next? Games come shipped with just the main character, villains sold separately? What plot, that'll be extra! Don't even think about a save option unless you've got your receipt...

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I worry more the worst it will get is only including promised features as downloadable content.

"This game will feature rich environments, deep dungeons, expansive quests, and flying mounts*!"

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeing as how the newspost mentions that the guns will be "balanced", my suspicion is that EA is targeting the more casual type of gamer that doesn't have the free time to grind for new weapons.

Though it's just a suspicion. I know the grind to get all the weapons in Battlefield 2 was tedious, to put it nicely. However I have no idea if they improved the situation for Bad Company.

Considering this and the upcoming Battlefield Heroes, I think someone at EA likes the model for Korean games.

Slicer on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    G&T thread here

And this has to be one of the top-5 comics.

20020114h.gif

Goddamnit, we've got to try.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.