As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PC start-up problems

NorayNoray Registered User regular
OK so here's the deal. I upgraded my PC's mobo, CPU, videocard and RAM (so, everything but the HDD, case, PSU and DVD Drive, then). Everything works fine... Except some times the PC won't boot up. Sometimes I turn it on, I see the mobo splash screen, then everything turns off again, and then it resets. Other times I get to the Windows loading screen, at which point the screen goes off and so does the PC. This usually happens when I start up with a CD in the disc drive, but the weird thing is, it happens when I take the disc out and reboot as well. But then when I go awhile just booting regularly, without any discs in the drive, it works just fine.

I'm thinking it's a PSU issue, as my PSU is nearly 2 years old and 450watt. It's an Antec PSU, that came in the case (Sonata II). My new system is Abit IP35-E mobo, ASUS Geforce 8800GT, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and Intel Q6600 quad core.

I'll probably replace the PSU anyway as it is 2 years old, and I want to be on the safe side, but I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what's causing this.

Noray on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Stupid question, but did you reinstall your operating system after upgrading the hardware?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Indeed PSU before messing with anything else. I would think you could disconnect the video card and go with on board if it's available and it would boot if it was indeed a power issue.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Stupid question, but did you reinstall your operating system after upgrading the hardware?
    You know... I re-read the post and it sounds like he's trying to boot of the old install. So ya... that's really not going to work with a motherboard replacement.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No I formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows first, I'm not that stupid :p The problem persists though. Also the mobo has no onboard video, so I can't test that.

Noray on
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RAM is able to cause many unexplainable headaches - if it's possible, test with less sticks, or get into the OS and attempt to stress test the shit out of it.

It's kind of a shitty problem since it's intermittent, but it sounds like you're just gonna have to start replacing the parts one at a time.

(i also agree that PSU is a very likely source, since it does sound pretty old, so I'd replace that, too, since if you get one that's pretty sweet you can just drag it to a future box anyway :P)

hush on
    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, PSU sounds like a likely candidate. The symptoms actually most sound like an incorrect overclock, but you didn't say you were doing that.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I definitely didn't overclock, and the CPU is clocked at the factory standard 2,4GhZ per core. I'll just replace the PSU soon and see if the problem persists after that.

Noray on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Two other problems to look into are overheating (some mobos will auto-shutdown if they're too hot), and the bizarrely infrequent case shorting.

Overheating sounds unlikely, since you said it only shuts itself down on boot. Case shorting is when some component's wires touch the case. It almost never happens, but if you have a crappy case speaker or similar component, its wires might not have enough shielding. In that case, it can damage your PSU, so you'll probably want to try out another one anyway.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Update: I replaced my PSU with an Antec Earthwatt (500 Watt), and the problem persists, exactly the same way it did before. So uhhh I'm kind of at a loss right now. I'll probably take the rig to a nearby computer store and have them figure it out or something.

Noray on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Try running memtest on your RAM before going out and buying more expensive hardware, I also had intermittent crashes and was able to boot "sometimes", and it turned out one of my sticks was bad

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I just did that, tested my RAM for about an hour or so, until well over 200%, and nothing, so my RAM seems fine. I've also played Crysis on High for long stretches of time without any problems, so if that isn't a good stress test I don't know what is!

edit: Also, I haven't had a single crash yet, just the booting thing. Also, this may be entirely unrelated, but shutting down takes an age and a half too. When I click 'Shut down' in Start, it takes a while for the shut down/reboot/sleep mode thing to come on, and then when I actually shut down, it stays on the 'Windows is shutting down' screen for a good few minutes before actually shutting down.

Noray on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah...if you recently installed windows, it really shouldn't be taking that long to shut down. And if you can play long stretches of Crysis, it's probably not a PSU or heat issue. If you're not to attached to how you currently have it set up, you could try reinstalling windows?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I once had a computer that wouldn't boot unless it was on it's side, until I realized the hard drive just liked being on it's side better.

No point here really except to say that tracking down shit like this made me start buying computers from vendors.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah...if you recently installed windows, it really shouldn't be taking that long to shut down. And if you can play long stretches of Crysis, it's probably not a PSU or heat issue. If you're not to attached to how you currently have it set up, you could try reinstalling windows?

Yeah I guess I could do that, but god damnit. Having to install a fuckton of drivers and shit again, as well as formatting my partition, installing windows, and all that shit, is not a great prospect. It boils down to how much this bothers me. Since the rest of my PC works fine, I don't think it bothers me enough to make me do that. But I might, at some point. It is annoying.

Noray on