As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dual 9800 GX2s, I have them. They no worky. :(

SonarSonar Registered User regular
So I throw it to you PA'ers to help me out.

First the story on getting one of the cards rolling.
"Oboy oboy oboy oboy! Its here!"

*Rips open boxes.*

"Jesus the cards a bigger than my torso!"

"Ok lets get these puppies installed. Better be careful though, wouldn't want any screw ups."

"Hmmm, new hard drive too, should I delay backing up my main drive to my new drive? Yeah! What could go wrong? I'm only gutting my computer and putting it back again. Easy!"

*Unscrew, unscrew, unscrew.... unplug, unplug, unpl.... * "hmmmm" *wiggle, wiggle, wiggle* "@#$#!$" *WIGGLE, WIGGLE, WIGGLE*. -pop- "Aha!"

*unscrew, unscrew....*

"Ok, now the new stuff.... hey this new PSU is kinda big... hmmmm."

*Squeeeeze.* "Hmmmm." *SQUEEEEZE.* "@#%%@"

*PRY, SHOVE, SLAM*

"No problem!"

*Grabs cards.*

"Yes my precious! Uh, 4 slots huh? Well I don't really use the A drive anyway." *unplug, toss* "Extra cooling fans gotta go too. That'll be ok right?" *unplug, toss*

"Ok."

*Slot, click, screw.* "That was easy, now the other one."

*Slo....*

"@#$@!#$"

*SHOVE*

"Kinda crooked. Ah well.*

*Plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug* "Oh yeah." *plug*

"That looks right. Everything matches the way it was. Time to add the peripherals and fire it up!"

*Plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug*

"Lets do eet! Main screen turn on!"

*Lights dim, nothing happens.*

"Thats not good."

*click*

*Lights dim, high pitched whine.*

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

"Well @#$@."

A period of sulking and wondering if 2k worth of electronics just went poof follows.

(Roommate)

"Hey ____, what did you do, the lights are working now!" (An entire circuit of the house is not working, not my fault!)

"The he!!?"

"Oh wait, their out again."

"Ok, maybe that means the breakers out, but I didn't do anything to that circuit!

I think."

Hmmmm.

"Maybe the breakers bad I can scrounge one out of my car.*

*Scrounge, find breaker, repla... curse several times, get a pry bar, replace breaker.*

"Ok, try it!"

"Nothing."

"Well... $#!&"

"Lemme look at the wiring."

*Scrounge in attic, get attacked by racoons, find nothing.*

( Roommate) "Ok, sucks, sorry about the insulation burns, night! Zzzzzz"

"Your welcome."

*change cloths*

*Unplug, unplug, unplug... ect....*

"Ok, its just like it was. Please, please, please, please..."

*click*

*Whirrrrr! Beep!*

"What are you doing Dave?"

"Wooo! It works! Now to try again!"

"What the hell are you doing Dave?"

*click*

"Will I dreammmmm....?* -beep-

{deleted for berevity}

"Right, so anyway those Zulu warriors were tough. Last one did give me the advice to just try one card though before I ran him through. Lets give it a go!"

*click*

-beep-

"IT'S ALIIIIIIIIVVEEEEEEE!"

"Open the pod bay doors Hal! Open the @#%$@#$ pod bay doors!"

"Thppppt!"

"I had twinkies in there..." *sniff*

((This is the mostly true story of installing one card.))
Heres the deal.

Motherboard is a A8N-SLI Asus Premium
ONE card works, but when the second one is slotted the computer immediatly freezes on the BIOS splash screen.

So I have two questions on getting this working (and comments about having too much money and this being a waste get a big fat "thpppppt"), I'm thinking my BIOS needs an update, yes no as likely?

The OTHER question is these cards didn't come with an SLI bridge, can I bop over to Best Buy and get one or is this going to be a head ache?

Thanks!

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
steam_sig.png
caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
Sonar on

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ummm

#1. take one of them back

#2. take the other back

#3. get 2 8800gt's or gts 512's put them in sli and save a few hundred dollars

#4. your motherboard should have come with the sli bridge.

#5. does that old mobo even support quad sli? why isn't your mobo bios already up to date? do you know what you're doing at all or just have a lot of money and not a lot of sense?

#6. seriously, quad sli is straight up stoopid

Deusfaux on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    aren't the drivers needed for quad SLI not coming out until April?

didn't Quad SLI with the 7900GX2 offer literally no performance increase in all but a handful of specially-coded games?

Daedalus on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SLI

9800 GX2s

Jesus fuck how much money do you have fuck.

Khavall on
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Reason #14358 that I hate the world: people who can't differentiate between their, they're and there have enough money to buy God.

Bob The Monkey on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    ummm

#1. take one of them back

#2. take the other back

#3. get 2 8800gt's or gts 512's put them in sli and save a few hundred dollars

#4. your motherboard should have come with the sli bridge.

#5. does that old mobo even support quad sli? why isn't your mobo bios already up to date? do you know what you're doing at all or just have a lot of money and not a lot of sense?

#6. seriously, quad sli is straight up stoopid

#7. Spend that money you saved on some smarts.

Way to go, you spend $1200 on a 30% performance increase!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can your power supply handle 2 9800GX2s?

Cause it'd be funny if you spent $1200 and skimped on the power supply.

jogernaut on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    jogernaut wrote: »
    Can your power supply handle 2 9800GX2s?

Cause it'd be funny if you spent $1200 and skimped on the power supply.

I was actually thinking this even before I read the post.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am building a new computer this summer for less than your video cards. In fact, I am spending my graphics card less than your graphics cards on my entire computer.

Khavall on
    edited March 2008
    I'm updating the H/A computer thread, and I don't even feel right about putting 2 9800GX2s in the bleeding edge section.

Malkor on
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I'm updating the H/A computer thread, and I don't even feel right about putting 2 9800GX2s in the bleeding edge section.

clearly it doesn't even work, after all

Daedalus on
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

clearly it doesn't even work, after all

All the reviews I've seen have had it work on a 790i Ultra SLI motherboard, but those boards haven't been out for a week yet.

Malkor on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am almost 100% certain, since my old board was a trusty A8N-SLI, is that unless you've updated your BIOS recently... it won't support G92 fabricated cards in SLI. Only older, G80 cards. And even then, I'm not sure it would work.

I strongly reccomend that you return your cards, and get two 8800GTX cards. Still expensive, but fabbed in G80 and known to work with your system. And given that you're using an A8N-SLI (and your utterly useless description of events and lack of SLI bridge), I'm going out on a limb to say you haven't upgraded your previous parts (Processor/Memory/Power Supply) so lets start there. Hell, what kind of cards were you using before? Do you even have a power supply with a PCI Rail, let alone two of them?! Do me/us a favor and less flavor stories, and more facts.

DietarySupplement on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To everyone who has comments on how much of a waste this is please see my response to you in the first post. I've been planning this for a YEAR.

To those who gave helpful advice, thank you and here is an update.

I cracked the bios and checked the SLI configurations which where not correct. This got the computer to start. Right now its rejecting the drivers. This is possibly due to the SLI lack of drivers, which I was trying to compensate for by not having them run SLI. But it's still freaking out so I'll pull a card and go back. Halflife was sweet on one card. The reason to get TWO is multimonitor setups. I could go for a splitter, which would cost 4/6ths of an entire card, so I decided to go ahead and just get another card.

Yes. The power supply is adequate. Yes it would be funny if it wasn't. It takes up 2/3rds of an ENTIRE circuit for the house. It better be.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited March 2008
    Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure that [strike]nVidia likes to fuck over the high-end buyers[/strike] you're going to need a newer motherboard to do what you're trying to do.

(and shit, if it was just for multi-monitor and you're already made of money, get a nVidia QuadroMVS 440 or ATi FireMV 2400; those cards can drive four monitors from a single card).

Daedalus on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And n'thly, how does one "crack" a bios, exactly?

Furthermore, I don't care how much you've planned or spent, you're already gimped: on nForce4 boards, you can either run 1 PCI-E channel at 16x... or two at 8X. So if you're going SLI, you're not getting the full potential out of them. Also, I'm not so sure this supports PCI-E 2.x requirements, either... but that pretains to my previous post.

Seriously, do yourself a favor, and either A) return one of the cards because you're never going to unleash them with your current MCP and driver support at this point is spotty at best, or B) upgrade your MCP and processor. You're still going to run up against a brick wall on performance based on your older parts anyhow, even if you do get it running.

And for the record, I'm tickled as shit that you were able to get on the bleeding edge. I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't jealous, as would most of the people here. But clearly, you're wasting precious money here. And I've made my share of questionable purchases to learn the hard way after-the-fact.

And one last thing: you do realize (as I didn't either, until it was too late) that when SLI is enabled... you can't have multiple displays, right?

DietarySupplement on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tell us what PSU you are using. Saying it's good means nothing win you are here asking for help with your problem. Are you not using an SLI bridge?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2008
    I'm not jealous, I'd just rather spend my money on hookers and blow.

Malkor on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not jealous, I'd just rather spend my money on hookers and blow.

For the money dual 9800 GX2s cost, you could hire a hooker to learn source code and write you a graphics engine. :P

Darklyre on