As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gathering Canadians

leafleaf Registered User regular
edited September 2004 in PAX Archive
The main pax roadtrip largely ignores anything north of the border, so I've been wanting to know what the rest of the Canadians are planning on doing. I've heard of people taking the bus, and a few single cars going as well. For my own attendance to PAX, I'm not sure. Most of the people I know here aren't going, or can't. Although I do have a car, the trip in gas would cost over $100, and even tenting in campgrounds is going to add atleast fifty onto that, if not another hundred.

I'm in living in Kelowna BC, with a probable stop at one of my brothers places in clearbrook or abbotsford for a night stay *after travelling the coke' down there*, and then continuing on straight to seattle from there. Once in seattle, I'd be tenting at a campground someplace nearby, and praying it doesn't cost more than 30 per night.

My car can seat 5, although the back would be rather cramped. But all that is assuming I had other people going along with me, since I really can't handle the bill for gas and accomodations on my own.

So, is there anyone else with plans, like how are you getting there, and if possible could we form our own mini-caravan?

newsig-notweed.jpg
leaf on

• KyleGKyleG Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Actually, a friend and I are currently looking for a ride to and from PAX as we're currently car-less. We'd definitely be able to chip in for gas.

The only catch is that we live in Maple Ridge... A bit out of the way. We could probably try to meet up with you via public transportation, but as far as I know, that'd only take us to Mission. No more than 20 minutes away from Abbotsford, but nontheless, you'd have to backtrack a bit.

What do you say :)?

KyleG on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Our own mini-caravan would be nice. As far as people, I can't take any more, sorry Guybru.... I mean KyleG :P

However, I am looking to cram as many people into a hotel room as possible, so we have a place to crash during the con for cheap. Any BC people up for that? I've shared a hotel room with 8 people before, so I'm good with however many.

de4dmeta1 on
  • CainCain Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    You guys can come pick me up, right?

It's not that far.

Cain on
  • KyleGKyleG Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    de4dmeta1 wrote:
    Our own mini-caravan would be nice. As far as people, I can't take any more, sorry Guybru.... I mean KyleG :P

However, I am looking to cram as many people into a hotel room as possible, so we have a place to crash during the con for cheap. Any BC people up for that? I've shared a hotel room with 8 people before, so I'm good with however many.

Heh. Funny meeting you here ;).

Anyway, my friend and I will be booking a room with two beds, but if it'll reduce costs, we could probably squeeze you in there. I'd have to ask him first though.

And Leaf, still need those spots filled?

KyleG on
  • Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Me, two friends and two other guys are headin down from Edmonton, our car (which is full) could meet up with other cars to form a carivan of our own.

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I and a couple of my friends are planning on coming down from Richmond. If we can't snag a ride from somewhere, we'll greyhound bus if we need to.

~\A/~

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Mission is only 20 minutes from Abbotsford? Greyhound buses travel in Canada? Boy, the things you learn...

Well, I'm from Surrey...not too far from the border...so I'm just going to hop in a car with two pals and drive down there.

However, for something as magnificient as PAX 2004...I would walk!

QuizMaster on
    edited July 2004
    KyleG, I'm wondering how much that room is worth per night, any help? As it stands, I'd rather not have to dumpster dive for food (can you guess money's going to be tight?).

More BOT though, when would such a Can-Convoy assemble, and where?

de4dmeta1 on
  • OknarkOknark Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    word to edmonton.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    For food, the answer is simple. Bring your own kettle to boil water with. A fork or some chopsticks. And then go to a grocery store, and buy a bunch of those noodle bowls *not mr.noodle...although good, I'm thinking of the oriental ones..or pot noodle if you have connections in the uk* If you have access to a wall socket, you're set. You could even pilfer those plastic forks from food courts in malls if you're desperate. That or buy some fruit from a grocery store, either way it's super cheap, and unless you're a monster eater, you can last for days that way.

I'm still very unsure if I'll be going. My job is up in the air as with plans I've made. I get kicked out of where I'm living now by aug 25, and I can't keep a job if I don't find another cheap apartment. And also, I have plans for a cross country trip, which I might have to skip out on PAX for having enough money. I'd love to go on both, but I can't make promises, specially to KyleG, as everything would be very last minute. *that's how I always am.....so I don't like subjecting other people to my schedule as everything falls into place within days of deadlines and whatnot*

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Optimus WangOptimus Wang Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Andwarf wrote:
    I and a couple of my friends are planning on coming down from Richmond. If we can't snag a ride from somewhere, we'll greyhound bus if we need to.

~\A/~
    Do I know you?

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    I'd be Optimus Wang, and come out with just a bathrobe on and drink maple syrup out of a coffee mug.
    ani-me.jpg
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2004
    Andwarf wrote:

~\A/~

Which part of Richmond?

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
    edited July 2004
    Ok then, KyleG and his friend are now on the list of people coming in my car. I think. :?

de4dmeta1 on
    edited July 2004
    Around 2 Road and Steveston Highway.

Bah, skip the guessing game. This is Andrew Wade. Know me?

To everyone else: No stealing my identity! It's annoying.

Andwarf on
  • Optimus WangOptimus Wang Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Andrew Wade, eh? Doesn't sound too familiar.

I'M IAN CLIFF! STEAL MY IDENTITY, IT'LL BE FUN!

Optimus Wang on
    Din wrote:
    I'd be Optimus Wang, and come out with just a bathrobe on and drink maple syrup out of a coffee mug.
    ani-me.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    names matt
    i had a team of crack halo players going but we live in ottawa and its a week long drive and im the only one of my friends with a licance so it would have been what a week driving straight ... shit... shudder
    still we were gona fly but i lost my cushy job at wal-mart (asshole manager)
    and none of us could get the 400 dollors together per flight so yeah ... we soo wanted ta go... no one beats us at halo... lol we have a great team... weve played in turnies all over the city and are undefeated!!!

we wanted ta see what these americans could produce but now we cant cz well my mom wouldnet let me drive that far if her life depended on it lol but still if it comes ta canada wich it should ill be there with my crew
    hoff, srg, strike and damon we would kick some major ass....

or clasifications are as followed
    Damnon aka matt (me) -assult
    - diver
    srg. aka chris -> melee close combat hand gun assult main jeep gunner

Strike aka alex
    sniper.... figure it out hes only missed one shot as long as ive known him

hoff aka justin
    > resident tank whore, shot gun all round player

we are 1 in 199 games i think.. aprox the guys who beat us were like cheating with being gurls and playing topless and all

well any one if tehy evere come ta can we"ll be ther

matt

Unknown User on
    edited July 2004
    Grrr... my buddies just bailed out. Well, one of them wants to stay in town for his ex-girlfriend (and close friend)'s birthday, so I won't get angry at him.

Still, now I'll be leaving all by my lonesome, probably. It'll be a looooong bus ride.

*shudders*

~\A/~

Andwarf on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Well a group of us are taking the ferry from Victoria and driving down, we might have space in the car if you can chip in for gas etc.

2 cars so far, 5 people so there's room for a few more

Ninto on
    edited August 2004
    Andrew Wade, eh? Doesn't sound too familiar.

I'M IAN CLIFF! STEAL MY IDENTITY, IT'LL BE FUN!

DONE AND DONE

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm in Victoria, BC and will be going for sure! But I have friends in Calgary without a ride, and low on budget. Anyone going through Calgary? They can chip in on gas, plus pay a fare if that helps.

Oknark, are you going to be driving? Any chance we could work something out? There will be two guys at least coming from Calgary.

EDIT: Ninto, I'm going to end up driving by myself. If you have more guys, I can seat four people. But if you're set, could I catch a ride with you?

Avenrosh on
    edited August 2004
    Avenrosh wrote:
    I'm in Victoria, BC and will be going for sure! But I have friends in Calgary without a ride, and low on budget. Anyone going through Calgary? They can chip in on gas, plus pay a fare if that helps.

Oknark, are you going to be driving? Any chance we could work something out? There will be two guys at least coming from Calgary.

EDIT: Ninto, I'm going to end up driving by myself. If you have more guys, I can seat four people. But if you're set, could I catch a ride with you?

nope I'm not driving, no room in the car either.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • KowakKowak Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm travelling from West Vancouver, I have room for one person, maybe two if everyone packs light. We can probably squeeze another person or two into our hotel room too.

Kowak on
  • switchstanceswitchstance Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I live in Chilliwack, about 10 minutes outside of Abby, so I could meet someone on the way.

switchstance on
    test1.jpg
    edited August 2004
    I'll be very very tentative in this offer. Like I said, tight timing for me on everything, but if I can get a person or two to come with me, and we can get cheap housing from someone who lives in seattle, or share a room with a bunch of other people, I think I'll be able to squeeze in the time for this.

Anyways, I'll offer space for 2 people to come with. I'll be staying at my brothers for a night possibly, which is in/near abbotsford, so I can pick someone up there. But this is very tentative - basically, I'll give you a day or two notice in advance whether I'm going to be going, so pm me if you're really pressed for a ride and no alternatives. I THINK work *canadian tire* should give me 4 days off, if I just ask them to group both weeks' two days off all back to back. Plus I'll be finished moving out by then as well hopefully.

If it works though, I'd wanna meet up with whoever I'm taking on the 26th, we'd leave and get to seattle on the 27th, and leave on the 30th. Whoever rides with me has to provide their own food *I'm not adverse to sharing, just don't expect me to carry you through the trip* and also splitting gas money down the middle.

Heh, if only I could hijack my parents fifth wheel along with the truck...

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited August 2004
    Oh, if we were going to gather together - I'm not sure that'd work, the day we'll be *theoretically* leaving is the 27th, and leaving pax on the 30th. So....if that coincides with anyone elses schedule, lemme know.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Fastasaurus_rexFastasaurus_rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Anyone looking for a ride/hotel room to split email me at rf2k3@hotmail.com Im goin with a buddy from vancouver.

Fastasaurus_rex on
    edited August 2004
    Alrighty, looks like I might be needing some of your services for this trip... What do you guys reckon it'll cost for my share of gas/accomodations? I'm currently a broke University student... just don't want to agree and then find I'll be spending a small fortune...

~\A/~

Andwarf on
  • KowakKowak Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Well, I know our hotel is about $90 per night and my car is good on gas, I'd hazard $100-$150 for ride and room.

Kowak on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey...

I'm kinda sorta alot new here... and my buddies and I are going to PAX this year from Victoria....

ANYWAYS.... We're gonna be traveling on the COHO, on the 27th on the 3pm ferry... is anybody else going to be on that ferry???

we're also going to be staying at the Doubletree Hotel... anybody else staying there??? I'm basicly just looking for other Canadains to hook up with...

thanks...

SmallLady

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited August 2004
    I'm not... but I'd love to hook up with you guys and hang out. I'll be beginning to attend UVic about 5-6 days after I get home from PAX...

Andwarf on
    edited August 2004
    Sweet!!!

will this be your first time living in Vic?? or are you a returning student???

you'll reconize us by the 4 loud obnoxious guys with a big Canadain Flag and a girl trailing behind shaking her head....

My name is Angela btw....

*silently wondering if i'm going to be the only Canadain female there.....*

SmallLady on
    edited August 2004
    SamllLady wrote:
    we're also going to be staying at the Doubletree Hotel... anybody else staying there??? I'm basicly just looking for other Canadains to hook up with...

Yup, my crew'll be there. We'll be there on the 27th and are looking for ways to kill time before the expo anyways.

QuizMaster on
    edited August 2004
    QuizMaster

We should be arriving around 6pm.... hopefully... as long as we don't get lost....

:)

SmallLady on
    edited August 2004
    My name's Andrew.

Yes, this'll be my first time living away from home, or in Victoria (Heck, I've only ever gone there on social studies field trips to the parliament).

I still have yet to decide where I'll be staying (or who I'll be mooching a ride from BUT STILL PAYING GAS MONEY) ... got room on your hotel floor for one more? It'd be great to get to know some of the locals.

Any of you attend the uni?

~\A/~

Andwarf on
    edited August 2004
    My friend Jeff is a Uvic student (he is comming with us) so you should talk to him... I go to Camosun

and I'd say you could stay in our hotel room but we're already cramming 5 people into one room.... sorry.... :(

SmallLady on
    edited August 2004
    Fair enough.

Hopefully we'll cross paths.

Andwarf on
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Haha... My group is going to go in for 48 hours straight, no sleep... (except for naps) Here's hoping things don't get too crazy.

Avenrosh on
    edited August 2004
    QuizMaster wrote:
    SamllLady wrote:

Yup, my crew'll be there. We'll be there on the 27th and are looking for ways to kill time before the expo anyways.

Sounds like what my group'll be doing. When's everyone arriving?

de4dmeta1 on
    edited August 2004
    Aye, we're still having troubles with the planning process....heh heh.

QuizMaster on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I happen to be the driver for de4dmeta1's group, and...

We have a flag too. ^_^

It'll for sure be up in the window in our room, heh... Probably go with something a little smaller for the car, since it'll pretty much cover the entirety of any window on an automobile. XD

Theros on