As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Momentous Occassions of the Week 03/26/08

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Add me to the All-Star Superman bandwagon. I think it might have been perfect, but I need to read it a few times more. I think it might be my favorite appearance of Superman outside of the Dark Knight Returns.

why would that be your favorite Superman appearance
    I love Reagan-Smash Superman.

edit: Wait are you talking about this All Star book? I was never too much into Superman stuff, I never liked it as a kid, but reading this particular arc has really cemented how selfless Superman is supposed to be. It's like it is all what people see that's good in Superman condensed into 10 issues. I don't know what's going to happen next, but seeing him spend his last days doing good just made it click for me.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm still pissed off that we may not ever see the confrontation with the Monarch and Reagan-Superman that was set up in the uber-fun Countdown: Arena. Please surprise me Morrison.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Add me to the All-Star Superman bandwagon. I think it might have been perfect, but I need to read it a few times more. I think it might be my favorite appearance of Superman outside of the Dark Knight Returns.

why would that be your favorite Superman appearance

edit: Wait are you talking about this All Star book? I was never too much into Superman stuff, I never liked it as a kid, but reading this particular arc has really cemented how selfless Superman is supposed to be. It's like it is all what people see that's good in Superman condensed into 10 issues. I don't know what's going to happen next, but seeing him spend his last days doing good just made it click for me.

oh no, I love All Star Superman, it's like the best book

but I can't see how you can like Superman as written by Frank Miller. It's no secret that he doesn't like the character.

Garlic Bread on
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My moment of the week is from Mighty Avengers
    sentrydoomwu7.jpg

Sentry will sooo get his ass kicked for that.

Dreamon on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If we can have Extreme Jusice League, surely we can have a fun Justice League as well.

Except they killed most of the "fun" JLI members, remember? Man for no reason. I don't want Zombie Max Lord to rise from the dead adn shoot another Beetle in the face because editorial decided a long time ago that we're not allowed to have "fun".....

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hell with it, I'll post again. All-Star Superman 10 is the greatest Superman comic ever. There I said it and it's true.

Algertman on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah... That's why I read She-Hulk.

Crimsondude on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    If we can have Extreme Jusice League, surely we can have a fun Justice League as well.

Except they killed most of the "fun" JLI members, remember? Man for no reason. I don't want Zombie Max Lord to rise from the dead adn shoot another Beetle in the face because editorial decided a long time ago that we're not allowed to have "fun".....

Munch is referring to the last page of Blue Beetle where he's in the presence of the "fun" JLI members

since they're, you know

not dead

Garlic Bread on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    Hell with it, I'll post again. All-Star Superman 10 is the greatest Superman comic ever. There I said it and it's true.

I'll have to agree with you. I haven't read them all, I haven't even read most, but of the good chunk I have read that was far and away the best Superman I've ever seen.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Munch is referring to the last page of Blue Beetle where he's in the presence of the "fun" JLI members

since they're, you know

not dead

It is a little funny that two of those people were "dead" within the past year or two though.

Munch on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How did Ice come back anyways?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    resurrected by some dude

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2008
    Ah...so par for the course. It happened in Birds of Prey correct?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    yep

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked that resurrection solely because it was obvious that Simone didn't really have a graceful way to do it, so just said, "Oh fuck it. MAGIC!"

Munch on
    edited March 2008
    Well Ice is a mystical being and all....so 'Yippee!! MAGIC!' sort of works in that case.

ZombieAsuma on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    So in Blue Beetle, did anyone else get the feeling that Rogers was setting up the possibility of a future JLI team?
    The whole, "In the end, they decide it was just luck that they were the ones who saved me. Me... I'm not so sure," thing that Jaime says has a very Justice League/Avengers heroes-drawn-together-by-fate feel to it. And we know Rogers has an ongoing coming up.

I thought he meant it wasn't fate because a certain "Bat-Man" was responsible for calling them in or at least manipulating things to get them all in one place.

KVW on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I wasn't overly fond of USM. Maybe I was expecting more awesome shit with his amazing friends, but it just fell short for me this week.
    Blue Beetle was excellent, though, as was GL.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    So in Blue Beetle, did anyone else get the feeling that Rogers was setting up the possibility of a future JLI team?
    The whole, "In the end, they decide it was just luck that they were the ones who saved me. Me... I'm not so sure," thing that Jaime says has a very Justice League/Avengers heroes-drawn-together-by-fate feel to it. And we know Rogers has an ongoing coming up.

I thought he meant it wasn't fate because a certain "Bat-Man" was responsible for calling them in or at least manipulating things to get them all in one place.
    I thought that was just Guy being the crazy one, trying to rationalize what happened.

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh I guess I should say my moment of the weak was the entire issue of Ultimate Human #3. Now I remember why I dont usually buy Warren Ellis comics. Shame because I loved the first two issues but fuck this one was boring. (And the art wasn't nearly as good this time either).

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Dreamon wrote: »
    My moment of the week is from Mighty Avengers
    sentrydoomwu7.jpg

Sentry will sooo get his ass kicked for that.

Jesus, I just thought he had a large scar down the side of his face. DId he gate a facial in acid?

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2008
    Uh no, his entire face has always been ravaged

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Oh I guess I should say my moment of the weak was the entire issue of Ultimate Human #3. Now I remember why I dont usually buy Warren Ellis comics. Shame because I loved the first two issues but fuck this one was boring. (And the art wasn't nearly as good this time either).

I picked it up thinking I'd see some, oh I don't know, fighting.
    If I wanted to see British dudes talking, I'd put on BBC.

Me Too! on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    But... Ellis writes British dudes talking so well...

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2008
    a 4 issue miniseries about Hulk and Iron Man does not need to spend an entire issue on Ultimate Leader's origin, especially when he hasn't done anything yet to make him interesting.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    I tutor a kid every Wednesday, and I usually go there right after I go to my shop.
    So I help him with his math, and we flip through whatever I got that week.
    This week went something like
    "Yeah this is great, it's Hulk and Iron Man etc," and I start flipping through to find something cool.
    "So what's happening?" "Uh, talking talking, he made some dude's heart explode....and more talking. That sucked."

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008
    Look I dont have a problem with talking heads issues per se.

I mean fuck I am a huge fan of the Bendis/Maleev DD run which has a ton of that. But in a 4 issue miniseries it's pretty fucking stupid to have the 3rd issue, which should be rising action to set up the climax to be a bunch of characters we have never seen before talking.

If Ultimate Leader had actually done some cool shit in another story before this I might care, but he was in a few panels in the first couple issues and thats it, I dont care about him yet and this issue just made him seem boring.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    I really don't see how this is going to end well.
    And by "end well" I don't mean, there will be a good outcome for all of the characters involved.
    No, I mean, the ending will most likely be a piece of shit.

I am looking forward to my shop getting another copy of Ultimate Iron Man II for me, though.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008
    well I mean, next month is the last issue, so Iron Man and Hulk will fight Leader.

and I can't not finish it since I already have 3 out of 4 issues.

This one just sucked though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked that resurrection solely because it was obvious that Simone didn't really have a graceful way to do it, so just said, "Oh fuck it. MAGIC!"

"It's Magic, I don't have to explain it."........?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    how long until we can stop saying that in every thread

I'd just like some sort of timetable

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    how long until we can stop saying that in every thread

I'd just like some sort of timetable

Until something more ridiculous comes along, or as long as it took us to stop saying, "Superboy punched time!"

Whichever comes first.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2008
    It makes me sad that none of my friends understand why I suggest punching reality as a solution to any problem.

Me Too! on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    that really shouldn't make you sad

DJ Eebs on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In regards to BB,
    Don't they have to explain Booster Gold? They acknowledge he's supposed to be dead. His existence is supposed to be secret. But, obviously, a bunch of people know now.

You know what made me laugh instantly when I opened up All-Star Superman? The first panel. Superman carrying a school bus over the pyramids. I had no idea what was going on at first.

There's no explanation, no idea where he's going, you just think he's saving a school bus from something and that it's in Egypt I guess. Maybe the bus got stuck on top of a pyramid? Maybe it was sinking into a pit of quicksand, I guess, but it's the desert, where are the roads?

I just shrugged my shoulders and assumed it was some elaborate story compressed to one panel for hilarious absurdity. It wasn't until my second reading that I realized he was taking those sick kids on a tour of the world. I think I liked it better when I didn't know that, though.

Lux on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    In regards to BB,
    Don't they have to explain Booster Gold? They acknowledge he's supposed to be dead. His existence is supposed to be secret. But, obviously, a bunch of people know now.
    O_o Did you read Booster Gold #01? His existence isn't a secret at all anymore, otherwise why would he try out for the JLA?

Anyway, Blue Beetle and All Star Superman were indeed magnificent. It really sucks that John Rogers is leaving the book. My only disappointment of the week was Legion, some of the dialogue just seemed kind of off.

Btw, what's going to happen with All Star Superman when Morrison's run is over? Are they just going to cancel it? Or start a new arc with a new writer, ignoring what Morrison did?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2008
    Booster Gold's existance isn't a secret. Just the fact that he's the multiverse's greatest hero instead of a self-absorbed jackass is what's secret.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Pretty sure All Star Superman ends with Morrison.

Garlic Bread on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Pretty sure All Star Superman ends with Morrison.

I'm kind of curious about that too. It won the "Best Ongoing Series" Eisner but it sort of sounds like it's just a 12 issue "mini" series. There aren't too many people I'd like to see directly follow Morrison's run. The best way to do it would just be to have the next All Star team start over with their own interpretation of the character.

DMAC on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Uh no, his entire face has always been ravaged

No it hasnt. It was originally just a minor scratch or scar. He then decided to force some monks to put still scalding hot armour on his body, thus burning his face to hamburger. The original origin was basically just a small scar, but Byrne altered it to add the armour burnign the face part.

KVW on