As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Year 12 Body of Work and Other Doodlin's

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
Although we've now had several months to work on our major body-of-work for year 12 art, I've been procrastinating, and haven't really gotten started until a few days ago. Now that I finally have started, I was hoping I could get a few comments on the initial sketches, and hopefully figure out how to make an overall improvement.

Though I haven't figured out exactly what the work's meaning is, I'm generally going along an environmental theme. Basically I'm illustrating the various methods of foretelling the future using natural phenomenon (for example, auspices and haruspicy).

Here are some shots of my initial sketches (sorry about the crappy photos)...

The work consists of three central panels (maybe more, smaller sketches later).

img0291ay8.jpg

This is the left panel. The birds seen in the background will be extrapolated so they create a frame extending through all three panels.

img0292mr0.jpg

And this is the right one, a mirror of the left.

img0293du6.jpg

As of yet, the central panel is empty.

Flay on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's nearly impossible to make anything out of those.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I know, I'll see if I can get some better/clearer photographs soon, but I don't have access to the camera right now. Sorry 'bout that. :|

Flay on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Damn you're starting early. You do Art! You can procrastinate at least another two, even three months!*
    Oh God 4UNIT ENGLISH SHIT SHIT SHIT

must start writing must start wr

Iriah on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It helps if you can actually see the images.

But i messed with the levels in photoshop a bit...still bad...but better.

img0293du6.jpg

img0292mr0.jpg

It looks like you're just doing mirror images of each drawing...and that's it...

It's really too early in production to say much other than keep at it and scan these things for darwin's sake!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Not much of an update, considering I had to take the pieces themselves back to school, but I did a quick sketch of a possible central panel composition. It's kind of boring, so I'll need to work it some more.

bow1xn7.jpg

Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for artists I can use as 'inspiration'? Basically, the only requirement is that they follow a theme of nature, but preferably they should mainly use drawing (possibly in a similar, linear style to mine) as their medium, and perhaps take inspiration from tribal (such as American Indian) art.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks, but my art teachers are a bit 'thingy' about using artists without an established reputation... Which is stupid because the art on websites such as those actually is my main source of inspiration. Has anyone got any 'famous' artists they could recommend? I'm thinking of maybe using a few illustrators, like Shaun Tan; I don't think there'd be a problem with those.

On a side note, here's a quick portrait from tonight. Man, I have gotten really lazy with scanning lately, gotta get back in to the habit.

portrait12ey9.jpg

I still suck at shading.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I need to post more often.

Here's an update on my body of work. I haven't made a huge amount of progess, largely because I needed to catch up on the work in my process diary, and was doing a fair bit of research.

bow1vl2.jpg

bow3gv4.jpg

bow4mz4.jpg

bow5of0.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    azuriceazurice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Very nice. :) What medium are you going to be finishing these in after you complete the initial sketches? And just how big are these? Sorry if you've already mentioned these previously and I missed it; it's 3am. :P

Heh, you're starting your body of work much earlier than I did. Granted, I did two thirds of mine about two weeks before it was due...:lol:

azurice on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I haven't decided how I'm going to finish them off yet... I was originally thinking ink, but after experimenting on a different piece of card it seems that mightn't be the way to go. :| I'm hoping I can get my hands on a nice set of col-erase pencils soon, and if I do there's a good chance I'll end up using those. Pastels, on the other hand, seem to work well also.

I haven't really progressed any further on this since I took the photographs (stupid half-yearly exams taking up all my time), but at the moment I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fill the background. One possibility is to fill some of the empty space with bird silouettes in a sort of arc, forming a frame around the deer heads, or perhaps I could do some mock cave-paintings in the background.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Flay on