As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Momentous Occassions of the Week 03/26/08

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What I'm saying is his face has been like that longer than most of the people who post here have been alive.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doom hiding a slightly scarred face or face that was scarred in an accident strikes me as truer to the character than putting on a scalding hot iron mask.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought the whole Face scaring thing depended on who you trusted, Lee or Kirby. Lee thought he should be mutilated, Kirby thought it was a rather small insignificant scratch.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Either way, after 20 years of wearing that thing, I'm sure he's not too pretty underneath.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Didn't his face get re-burned during his stay in Hell anyway.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought the whole Face scaring thing depended on who you trusted, Lee or Kirby. Lee thought he should be mutilated, Kirby thought it was a rather small insignificant scratch.

As KVW mentioned, Byrne "unified" both of them by having him initially have a small scar, and then having this face become completely destroyed when he put the mask on. I think this was issue....#279? Somewhere around there, it's when Kristoff is being fed the Doom origin.

Also, if you look at how Kirby originally drew Doom post-college accident, he clearly doesn't have a nose. So Kirby kind of changed his mind later.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't believe no one has posted this yet.

Blue Beetle #25 (sorry it's a bit small) My moment of the year
    brendapacofd1.jpg
    <3

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Based on the scans in the OP, I am a complete fucktard for not reading Blue Beetle and All-Star Superman. Wow.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Based on the scans in the OP, I am a complete fucktard for not reading Blue Beetle and All-Star Superman. Wow.

Pretty much. Pick up some trades and the All Star Supes hardcover and you'll be all set.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Booster Gold's existance isn't a secret. Just the fact that he's the multiverse's greatest hero instead of a self-absorbed jackass is what's secret.

Ohhh.

I got the two confused.

nevermind

Lux on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

As KVW mentioned, Byrne "unified" both of them by having him initially have a small scar, and then having this face become completely destroyed when he put the mask on. I think this was issue....#279? Somewhere around there, it's when Kristoff is being fed the Doom origin.

Also, if you look at how Kirby originally drew Doom post-college accident, he clearly doesn't have a nose. So Kirby kind of changed his mind later.

It's also depicted in Dr. Doom/Dr. Strange: Triumph and Torment.

august on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »

It's also depicted in Dr. Doom/Dr. Strange: Triumph and Torment.

I do kinda like the idea that Doom did everything over a minor lab accident. It just seems like it would fit with his character to respond to a minor scar with an armored battle-suit, a violent coup of his homeland, and the eternal pursuit of his roommate's demise.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DamageControl3018.jpg

Damage Control doesn't seem like it's worth picking up, but this page that was posted is hilarious.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd say I want context but I'd rather think a giant building controlled by a construction worker lookin guy just beat up all the Avengers.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Damage Control is definitely worth picking up. It's just three issues, the art is gorgeous, and it's funny as hell.

Back to MotW, in Ms. Marvel #25 it seems as though
    AIM is working with the skrulls.
    I wonder if MODOK approved this?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can someone explain why the last page of All Star Superman is the best thing ever because I don't understand. Is it some continuity fanwank thing?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    The second-to-last page is awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Can someone explain why the last page of All Star Superman is the best thing ever because I don't understand. Is it some continuity fanwank thing?

Superman creates a universe to see how the Earth will fare without his protection. That universe, as it turns out, is our universe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    superman created a mini universe, WITHOUT superman. last page shows someone in that mini universe created a comic book character that looks exactly like our superman.

superman created our world. like...us...the readers.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok so you guys are just impressed by something that I think is kinda silly.

Fair deal.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    he should've done this with in-continuity superman

because then superman would have created us and we created animal man and he hangs out with superman and FEEDBACK ERROR

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Fair deal.

You need quite a threshold for silliness to appreciate this genre in the first place.

Or hey, maybe we even like silliness?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I dunno, Morrison just doesn't jive with me in general for some reason. I see most of his stuff as solid but not spectacular. That's probably the problem I'm having here.

Anyway, Blue Beetle was probably the best thing I read this week.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm not an All Star Superman fan either dots, you're not alone.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    bale i started reading bone on the plane yesterday but it was a bit unwieldy to hold in such a cramped space so i stopped after the first chapter

it's all right so far

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, what was the deal with Green Lantern this week?

Haven't we read the Hal Jordan origin enough times already? Feels like filler.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's going to expand on the Abin Sur Blackest Night stuff and the first Red Lantern

also Keith I know you, you'll like Bone.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never could get into All-Star Superman mainly because of how much I vehemently dislike Frank Quitely's art. I know he's popular but he's probably one of my least favorite artists like right up there with Howard Chaykin. I've only read 3 books so far this week since I just got them yesterday so at this point my favorite moment was just the craziness of the Skrull vs. Wolverine/Echo fight due to how many powers the Skrull displayed. If ALL the invading Skrulls are equipped like that then....Yeesh!! Scary times.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never could get into All-Star Superman mainly because of how much I vehemently dislike Frank Quitely's art. I know he's popular but he's probably one of my least favorite artists like right up there with Howard Chaykin. I've only read 3 books so far this week since I just got them yesterday so at this point my favorite moment was just the craziness of the Skrull vs. Wolverine/Echo fight due to how many powers the Skrull displayed. If ALL the invading Skrulls are equipped like that then....Yeesh!! Scary times.

Why is it scary? Wolverine, who only has the power of sniktbub and Echo, who has no powers outside of muscle memorization kicked the snot out of the Super Super Skrull even after said Skrull disguised as Daredevil snuck up on the non-powered and all by her lonesome Echo. If anything, it just tells me these Skrulls are a joke.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Actually no, Wolverine was the one who snuck up on the Skrull, he gutted it before the fight even started and even terribley wounded it was more than a match for them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My MOTW was reading all of Morrison's Zenith. Miracle Man + Cthulhu + Old Hippies = oh god it's so good.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also, what was the deal with Green Lantern this week?

Haven't we read the Hal Jordan origin enough times already? Feels like filler.
    that and the new stuff Johns is doing is fucking terrible so far

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    KVW wrote: »

Why is it scary? Wolverine, who only has the power of sniktbub and Echo, who has no powers outside of muscle memorization kicked the snot out of the Super Super Skrull even after said Skrull disguised as Daredevil snuck up on the non-powered and all by her lonesome Echo. If anything, it just tells me these Skrulls are a joke.

If all of the skrulls can teleport like Nightcrawler, they should just grab heroes willy-nilly, teleport them in half, and be done with them. Or if they're really "bred to die", just teleport people into a wall, or the Earth's crust, or a nuclear reactor, or the bottom of the ocean, or outer space.

That probably would not make for a very good story, though.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's clear not all the Skrulls can do that kind of shit. The Skrull who was impersonating Elektra wasn't a Super Skrull.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It's clear not all the Skrulls can do that kind of shit. The Skrull who was impersonating Elektra wasn't a Super Skrull.

Everyone that's been shown since has been using mutant powers (Illuminati, Prologue, New Avengers). Skrullektra was killed unexpectedly and possibly didn't want to blow cover. I can't see everyone getting this no detection upgrade and not spending extra on the premium package claws and teleportation.

KVW on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Fair deal.

It was mostly the execution.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the skrull who shows up in prologue does not use powers, it just stabs him with claws. Mystique can do that shit too, that one not's a Super Skrull either. Or at the very least we don't know for sure if it is one.

The Black Bolt skrull clearly would need powers to pull off the illusion, as for the one in New Avengers.. well it probably wouldnt need powers to replace Echo, but it wouldnt have been as much of a fight if it wasn't a Super Skrull.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Given the information at hand (future previews/covers, issues that have already come out, etc), it's clear that the Skrulls have stepped it up from their old "We can give powers to Super Skrull and Paibok and that's it" days. All of the other "Skrull infiltration" issues (like FF #250, for example), the Skrulls had to use technological means to duplicate powers (though the nightcrawler skrull in that issue can't teleport, he mentions that he was genetically engineered to fight either the Human Torch or the Invisible Woman, whatever that means).

So really, it depends on what Bendis wants to do, and what he tries to explain.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm not saying there aren't going to be a ton of Super Skrulls, I'm just saying that not every single damn skrull in the series is going to be one. From the previews it sounds like there's going to be batallions of regular ol skrull troops too.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Really, the Skrulls should just use superior technical might and numbers to overwhelm the heroes. In every alternative future reality we've seen where the aliens do that, Earth's heroes get their asses kicked.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg