As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need an MMO for the summer

WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So a couple friends and I are looking to find an mmo to play for the summer. We considered WoW, but I don't know how worth it it is starting from level 1 considering most people are like level 60 or 70 or w/e. Is it worth getting in to? What about WAR? Is that going to be out by the end of April?

Any other suggestions? It'll be my friends first MMO.

Wezoin on

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This probably isn't the best place to ask, because as soon as someone asks for an MMO recommendation, everyone starts trying to convince you to play theirs like an army recruiter talking to a high school senior.

Tav on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You could hit the free MMO list, you and your friends might find something there that interests you.

WoW is ok, but honestly you get a better experience from it if you are in it for the long haul.

CoX is a lot of fun, and you and your buds could do a lot of damage in a couple of months of playing it.

But honestly a free game might be better.

Seg on
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You have a ton of choices, it just depends on what type of game you want to play. WoW is definitely worth it considering there's always lower level players running around. Then there's others such as EverQuest 2, Lord of the Rings Online, EvE if you're more into Sci-Fi. Age of Conan is supposed to come out May 20, with hopefully an open beta prior to launch so folks can check it out first. Not to mention countless others.

Do a bit of research, find one that sounds interesting and go for it.

naturalchaos on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    WAR is rumored to be coming around June, so I would just do whatever you are doing right now and just pick that up when it comes out.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea, if WAR sticks to its June release it might be a good choice to give a go.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ive been considering a supplement / possible replacement to WoW.

Is WAR really a huge change? Anyone got an inside view on it? Or should i slink back home to CoX?

Talkc on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played CoX for a while, and found it horribly boring. Like yeah, it was fun for the first 15 minutes, but it just doesn't have that epic feel to it. I really feel more at home in fantasy style games. I played the first Everquest and EQ2 for a while as well, and while they were fun I think either of them might be slightly too much of a grind to keep my friends interested.

I played WoW for a 14 day trial, and found that it was much less of a grind than the everquest series, which is why I thought it might be a good option. Looking at WAR it seemed to have some pretty unique ideas so I figured it might be interesting to play.

I also played Shadowbane for a while, and while I really enjoyed it, I think the learning curve is far too steep for a first time MMO-er.

Wezoin on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Talkc wrote: »
    Ive been considering a supplement / possible replacement to WoW.

Is WAR really a huge change? Anyone got an inside view on it? Or should i slink back home to CoX?
    Free MMOs are usually hit or miss with people. Some people can look past the flaws of a specific game, some other can't.

WoW is the most popular MMO for a reason, it'll lure you right regardless of how simple the game is. WAR is supposed to come out somewhere in June, but I'm not allowed to comment on the actual gameplay.

Another game I'm currently beta-testing is The Chronicles of Spellborn. Which will be a very mature (as in: requires a working brain, some wits and some skills) game with a very interesting combat system and fantastic graphics. I'm not sure when it is supposed to come out, but I'm guessing it will also hit stores in the early summer.

As for games that are already out: Lord of the Rings Online is sweet, although it's not really refreshing, but I guess if you haven't played MMOs lately you'll be fine. Then there's Tabula Rasa which ..uh.. no one plays. And Vanguard which isn't very popular either.

Aldo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    of course I hear a NA release for spellborn is debatable.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Holy shit, I just looked up Spellborn because I've never heard of it and it looks fucking beautiful. I might just try and apply for any betas if there's no set release date

Tav on
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    of course I hear a NA release for spellborn is debatable.
    *facepalm* I forgot about that.

So yeah, my suggestion then becomes: LOTRO. Or WoW.

Aldo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The official ranking of MMOs

1. CoX
    2. WoW
    3. LoTRO
    4. EVE
    5. Tabula Rasa
    6. Crap. It's all crap.

Scooter on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think ill give LOTRO a try. Couldnt do no harm.

Talkc on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would get CoX. It's east and fun, there's a pretty good PA community that will help you along (and the game community itself is pretty good) and there's essentially no grind to "get to the fun part."

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    WoW is ok, but honestly you get a better experience from it if you are in it for the long haul.
    In what sense? For me, the most fun I had in the game was in lower levels, the level gain and area changes were fast enough to be interesting. Later on, slow progress is slow, downtime increases, the dream of instances not being pure boredom and frustration has long since vanished...

Glal on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've always been under the impression that WoW is about the end game. "The game starts at 60/70" and all that.

Scooter on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's funny, I had always heard that, but once I got there on 2 of my characters I realized that it's really not the case.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I've always been under the impression that WoW is about the end game. "The game starts at 60/70" and all that.

Maybe it isn't that so much as that for a lot of the other good MMOs the endgame is a weakness. I'd say that if you have a limited time to play that makes LOTRO and CoH/V more competitive with WoW.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    It's kinda true, the game changes dramatically once you've reached the highest level, suddenly you're playing with/against everyone else instead of just doing your thing with maybe a few others every now and then. Some people like this change, they get to work together with a guild trying to beat the next dragon, create items that are actually worth some cash and they can join in the arena for some dead match action. Others prefer the pre-70 experience of discovering a world and doing quests.

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    In what sense? For me, the most fun I had in the game was in lower levels, the level gain and area changes were fast enough to be interesting. Later on, slow progress is slow, downtime increases, the dream of instances not being pure boredom and frustration has long since vanished...

Since they changed the leveling curve between 30 and 60 it is very different now.

And if you aren't instancing between 60 and 70 and then from 70 beyond, you are missing the best part of the game. I have been playing for a bit over 2 years now, and I didn't imagine just how great it can be to have a group of 4 other people I enjoy grouping with and going into an instance with. Sure the other four are not nearly as experienced as I am, but damnit, it is fun playing with them. (My wife who doesn't log as many hours ingame as I do, my brother who has only been playing for about a year now, his wife who has been playing about 6 months and my mother who has been playing about 10 months.)

Now that they all have characters at 59 or higher, we have hit the first of the Outland instances together, and that was a great time.

Yes, you can have a lot of fun at the lower levels, I have experienced that fun more then 50 times so yes I do agree it is pretty good. But 60+ instances with people you get along with is so much better.

Seg on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can probably have fun for a few months with wow. Once you get a max level and enter the awful world of min/maxxing your gear and spec, it becomes alot less fun. Not only less fun, but you now suddenly can't play the game without worrying about what your character will be like at max level.

Lotr Online is pretty cool. Its alot like wow, but with a better setting, less pvp options, and less overall content.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Talkc wrote:
    Is WAR really a huge change? Anyone got an inside view on it?

I... I'll probably get an infraction if I sum up all of the NDA leaks I've been reading for these various games on other sites, won't I?

Anyway, I think I can at least tell the OP that it's no done deal that WAR or AOC or TCoS (or Aion, the game I'm now anticipating the most) will release in the next couple of monhts, as is true for any MMO that's not yet in open beta. If he wants a guaranteed solid MMO that will be out by the end of April, WoW/CoX/LOTRO fit the bill. For my money, WoW has the best combat, most content, most depth. LOTRO has the best "world feel" and storyline.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
    edited March 2008
    Combat in CoX was pretty awesome, but I thought he was going for a fantasy game. :P

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have been playing for a bit over 2 years now, and I didn't imagine just how great it can be to have a group of 4 other people I enjoy grouping with and going into an instance with.
    See, I find it fun. *Once. Doing the same instance twice starts dragging, and doing it the 3rd time makes me want to unsubscribe.

*unless Wailing Caverns, because that shit can fuck right off

Glal on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i play diablo II with a bunch of friends, its free, can all help each other out can be a challenge with ubers and key runs, also I heard there is a patch (rumor) coming out sometime between march and may? Its a great game that still has tons of people playing.. i wouldnt post this though that it has its drawbacks as well.. what game does not.

my list of mmos you should try.

1.wow
    2 tales of pirates (its a free mmo and is very good)
    3. lotr
    4. eqII
    5. guild wars, free and a massive universe to explore

Laonar on
    edited March 2008
    oops internet connection being dumb

Laonar on
    edited March 2008
    Huh, tales of pirates and "very good" in one line? I couldn't find any redeeming qualities, what is so good about it?

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Its the first MMo igot my girlfriend to play and i throughly enjoyed it. Its a tiredless grind.. but I really just enjoyed the cuteness of it. Its not the greatest, but its free and they could all do it together would make it easier. Not for everyone lol

Laonar on
    edited March 2008
    Eh, it was kinda cute. It's got nothing on Dream of Mirror Online, though. Or Fly for Fun.

If you want to play with your girlfriend and you have low standards when it comes to grindgrindgrind: http://asda.gamengame.com/

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    The cuteness got old after awhile lol... especially while trying to explain to her how to play

ill check it out, she refuses to pay for wow...currently we are playing d2 with some college buddies and she enjoys corpse exploding stuff with her assassin... i think i might be worried. Thanks for the link.

Laonar on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just want to throw out that Guild Wars while not the best ever, is a lot of fun with rl friends for about 2 months.

projectmayhem on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FFXI. It's very accessible and solo friendly.

>.>

<.<

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited March 2008
    FFXI. It's very accessible and solo friendly.

>.>

<.<
    Considering he's going to play with friends he might just get a blast out of it. Kinda depends whether they'll be with enough to beat the content.

Aldo on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These impressions are a bit of a run on but I'm to tired to think straight.

EVE

EvE is really unique but the learning curve is huge. After a year and a half I was still finding stuff out. That being said it's also the largest "Single Shard" game. If you go to other games there are generally limited numbers of players per game world. In EvE, all 30,000+ players are in one game world and contending for the same space (yes you can "Own" space!). The politics and the wars are brutal but you can do very well as a casual short term player. Lots of fun is to be had in high security areas with missions etc. The economy alone is incredibly complex...and problably my favorite all-time economic structures in gaming with relatively minor exploitation given it's scope.

WoW

WoW endgame is kind of funny to me. I found the fights incredibly easy in raids when I was main tank/off-tank or when on my shammy. The problem is getting the other 24 people to coordinate well enough to get through the fight. I think some fights in content I never saw last 40 minutes for a single monster. The simplicity of the game allows for diverse and complex bosses in the endgame that are refreshing so long as you are with a good group of players....and that's the hard part. I left WoW because we weren't making progress. I still keep in contact with my guild though. When WAR comes out i'm going to get that and get any of them that come over to be in my guild.

My problem with WoW is mainly the crappy PvP. I mean...4 battlegrounds really isn't all that much. I'm not sure if blizzard can't think up new rewards for them or not, but 3 battle grounds per each type of badge (12 bg's total) would be better with the same exact rewards. Character classes are also developed with PvE in mind, so you face imbalances that need to be tweaked and are exploited until they are tweaked. If you are going to play for the summer only, choose the class that is currently the buffest (still locks?) and pwn your enemies for 3 months.

PotBS
    (Pirates of the Burning Sea) is a new MMO featuring naval ship combat. It looks pretty keen but I haven't heard much about it lately. It was recently released but there's lots of instancing and I don't think avatar combat was perfected yet. Ship battles are supposed to be cool.

FFXI
    I've been considering FFXI for AGES. I bought it a long time ago and considered it the biggest waste of 30 bucks I ever spent. But it was difficult to play given my old house had no A/C and the game ran my CPU/Vid Card so hot it kept shutting down on me. I've got a PS2 (and A/C!) now and am considering giving it a go again. The problem is that I hear many servers are dying. I don't mind a bit of a grind and earlier I figured if I just played a WM to get through the story I'd have people grouping me all the time. I've got my doubts about that now.

Hembot on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hembot wrote: »
    WoW

WoW endgame is kind of funny to me. I found the fights incredibly easy in raids when I was main tank/off-tank or when on my shammy. The problem is getting the other 24 people to coordinate well enough to get through the fight. I think some fights in content I never saw last 40 minutes for a single monster. The simplicity of the game allows for diverse and complex bosses in the endgame that are refreshing so long as you are with a good group of players....and that's the hard part. I left WoW because we weren't making progress. I still keep in contact with my guild though. When WAR comes out i'm going to get that and get any of them that come over to be in my guild.

My problem with WoW is mainly the crappy PvP. I mean...4 battlegrounds really isn't all that much. I'm not sure if blizzard can't think up new rewards for them or not, but 3 battle grounds per each type of badge (12 bg's total) would be better with the same exact rewards. Character classes are also developed with PvE in mind, so you face imbalances that need to be tweaked and are exploited until they are tweaked. If you are going to play for the summer only, choose the class that is currently the buffest (still locks?) and pwn your enemies for 3 months.

Well that post has absolutely zero relevance. The guy is looking for a game to play with his friends for the summer. This means no endgame raiding. This means co-op gameplay, not PvP.

In other words, every point you made about WoW has no bearing on the OP's question.

There are several reasons why WoW would make a good choice for your summer game:

1) The game is both solo and group play friendly, so you can run off and do quests when by yourself, and you can team up with your friends to run instances when they are on.

2) The production value of this game FAR surpasses anything else out there on the market right now. Everything looks great, the controls feel intuitive, and the story is well-written. This adds to the enjoyment of the game, especially for the first playthrough, which is essentially what this will be for you.

3) They have increased the speed of progression for levels less than 60, so there will be little to no grinding for you; you will be levelling fast enough that you won't feel stuck in a rut at any point in time. When you do reach level 60, you will be able to go to Outland, which makes the gameplay feel more epic compared to the early stuff.

However, the one reason not to play this as your summer game is that it, like all MMO's, is not a casual game. You will be playing for hours at a time, especially when running instances, and so you may burn yourself out. Also, you will most likely want to continue playing after the summer ends. WoW does not make a throw-away game, because, in the end, you have so much time and money invested in the game that you do not want to put it down.

Frankly, the best choice for your MMO in my opinion isn't an MMO at all. It's Call of Duty 4. It equally supports the short session and the marathon run. It has progression and tracking of progress. It's really fun (at least, that's what I have heard; I haven't played it myself), and it supports multiplayer, both co-op and versus. For three months of fragging with your friends, it is an excellent choice.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't come to FFXI unless you plan to stay.

Usefulness edit: Read this thread if you actually considering it though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hear tf2 is pretty fun

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited March 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    I hear tf2 is pretty fun

Not enough maps, though. And no character progression. That is what gives CoD4 such a longer play life.

delroland on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    WoW

Well that post has absolutely zero relevance. The guy is looking for a game to play with his friends for the summer. This means no endgame raiding. This means co-op gameplay, not PvP.

In other words, every point you made about WoW has no bearing on the OP's question.

I stopped playing in December with my shammy in a few purps and level 70 blues, though my war was decked out in some T5. I checked in with my guild leader and apparently my Shammy is now decked out in T6. It's quite possible for a person to obtain an account that is tailored with 70's even if Ebay shut down their portion of it.

It's also quite possible that I have experience in playing an MMO "just for a month to try it out" and have found myself sucked into it for a year. Hence endearing terms people have created such as "evercrack and daycrack". WoW is very much one of those games. His playing the game includes the possibility (for all we know) that he will be the one to find the Sword of Truth.

Typically smaller dungeons also represent abilities found later in the game. This is common for nearly all games. It is particularly true for MMO's where bosses number in the hundreds but the ability to code unique things for each of them is currently beyond the capabilities of developers. So complex endgame fights with simple to understand UI means you'll have a nice learning curve along the way.

Finally the PvP has relevance. You start with 1 bg at level 10, and you get more as you progress...but only to a grand total of 4. With the xp curve shortened I haven't leveled a character but from what I heard it was quite fast. It's very possible over summer (assuming the OP is out of school/has no job and infinite time per day) that he can reach end game content...Particularly on PvE servers.

Since when did Co-Op mean no pvp anyways? Entire guilds are dedicated to PvP. I've had my alts in quite a few.

Hembot on
    edited March 2008
    I stopped playing in December with my shammy in a few purps and level 70 blues, though my war was decked out in some T5. I checked in with my guild leader and apparently my Shammy is now decked out in T6. It's quite possible for a person to obtain an account that is tailored with 70's even if Ebay shut down their portion of it.

That is a violation of the EULA. You shouldn't really be suggesting buying accounts on eBay.
    It's also quite possible that I have experience in playing an MMO "just for a month to try it out" and have found myself sucked into it for a year. Hence endearing terms people have created such as "evercrack and daycrack". WoW is very much one of those games...and the 5 man dungeons often exhibit the same abilities of the larger 25 man raids. The larger raids are far more complicated.

Regardless, you are talking about your experiences after a year of play. The OP specifically requested a game he could play for a few months, and so you should keep your points relevant within that context. And raids are nothing like five mans. You don't have a weekly five man dungeon schedule, for instance.
    Finally the PvP has relevance. You start with 1 bg at level 10, and you get more as you progress...but only to a grand total of 4. With the xp curve shortened I haven't leveled a character but from what I heard it was quite fast. It's very possible over summer (assuming the OP is out of school/has no job and infinite time per day) that he can reach end game content...Particularly on PvE servers.

Since when did Co-Op mean no pvp anyways?

Oh yeah, getting steamrolled by 19/29/39 twinks is so much fun!

PvP is not a viable option until you hit level 70, assuming you are a normal human being that doesn't sink thousands of gold into twinking a low level character so you can "pwn n00bs". And even if the OP was interested in making a WSG/AB twink, three months is not enough time to generate the capital necessary to do so. Therefore, PvP falls out of the context of this discussion.

delroland on