As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WIP it. WIP it good... Fonoshed!!!

CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
Heres a start of an image that I'm doing for the theme of 'Duality'. It's meant to show that even battle hardened orcs can sometimes just want to stop and smell the flowers.

orcwip1tj0.jpg

I've just finished blocking it- so excuse the colours so far. I like to make it all gross to start with, and then decide on the proper shades later on. The lower halves of the background characters will be covered in dust and slightly blacked out- so that is why they look a little.... plain.

I'm hoping to add a bit more motion to the big dude on the left, as his pose ended up a little more static than I was wanting.

The flower is going to be glowing so that will hopefully make the image a little easier to read as at this stage all the elements are fighting for love.

I also plan to put some corpse bits in the foreground.

I'm going to try and have this all finished by the end of the weekend- so any C&C, my dear AC, will be a great help.

Line variation can go to hell.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on

• HanSaganHanSagan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow. Like it, like it a lot.

And you know, I actually like it with just the flat colours? Call me crazy, but the line art is so good and detailed, it seems a shame to draw attention away from it with too much shading.

HanSagan on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    it's very...dark?

the composition is good, but i hope you're planning on drawing out the foreground flower orc more, make him stand out against the two background brawlers. it's probably because the coloring is so flat right now.

looks like a good start though :^:

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's very cybermonkeytron...i approve :D

DeeLock on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I agree that it is very dark.

rts on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    with the big fella on the left. try throwing his shoulder back more and making his forearm more diagonal. i think that would help to give him more movement.

Other than that, it looks absolutly fantastic so far. :D (y)

r-jasper on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the comments so far guys.

It should get a little lighter as I add the proper shading :)

fightinfilipino: with the glow of the flower- hopefully that'll make the foreground pop a little bit more. I will probably add a little bit of atmospheric haze on the dudes in the back as well.

Heres a quick update

orcwip2jx3.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    wow

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wow! it's really cool i love the shading you're working on

sharky t on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Use your colors and lighting to really make the flower pop—it’s easy to not see it with the fight in the background. At first I thought it was one orc pooping while two more beat each other up.

supabeast on
    edited March 2008
    Another few hours in...

orcwip3ff5.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awesome man, awesome. I realize that isn't very constructive though.

rts on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks cake- sometimes its just nice to know someone cares :)

Slight update

orcwip4lv8.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love the flower. It seems so unaware of it's surroundings, just like, checking out what's infront of it all wtf is that oooh ooooh oooooohhhhhhhhh.

Kochikens on
    edited March 2008
    And finished... i guess.. If you have anymore suggestions-THERE IS STILL TIME!!

orcwip7ll0.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's just so beautiful.

Mangoes on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hi, I've been lurking around here for a while enjoying what everyone has to show, and decided to try to make myself useful.

Just a couple of things that I noticed:
    The spike on the big dude's right pinkie is pointing at kind of an odd angle, assuming they are all meant to be normal to the finger they are on. The spike on the finger next to that one seems a little too far down and to the dude's right. These can be explained away by orcish craftsmanship, though.

Flower dude's left index finger seems like it's being raised up instead of being allowed to hang, which I suppose could make sense with the flower there to touch, but it looks a little awkward.

Big dude's hip is really low. This may be orcish anatomy, but right now it looks like his joint is in line with the bottom of his crotch area, which is just weird.

Flower dude's right hand is in a very awkward position. Try placing your hand so that your fingertips are facing forward like his are. It is not a relaxed position. I think the middle or even bottom segment of his fingers should be facing forward, with the tips curled under them.

The lighting from the flower is a bit too bright on flower guy's stomach and chin, methinks. It looks like his hand should be blocking most of it.

Flower dude's kneepads look like they are sticking into his knees a little bit. I think it would also help if you rotated them so they were pointing in the direction his kneecaps would be, i.e. straight out from the tips of his knees.

And finally, the bolt on our far right of flower dude's left shoe is very flat compared to the shape the shading creates on the others.

Despite all these nitpicks, though, it's looking good, and the idea is pretty great. The only general problem I have with it is, like you said, the big guy seems kind of static. This is compounded by the fact that you can't really tell if he's with them or not (least, I can't), and so I am left wondering if they are merely play-fighting or actually battling.

But seriously, it looks good, I'm just built to list negatives.

P.S. Oh dang updated while I was writing this post! Must not be too late!

Surfpossum on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for all that.

I had a go at fixing the knee pads- and the bolt on the shoes. What do you guys think of the motion blur on the dudes in the back.. too much?

orcwip8lm5.jpg

EDIT: Looking at it now- I think its too much

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The knee pads look a lot better, but the motion blur gets rid of the clean feel of the whole painting, and it just doesn't match the style.

Mangoes on
    edited March 2008
    The anatomy thing is just personal preference, I kinda like it like that. I think that his belt/corset is making it look worse than it is.

The Orc is mean to be slightly reaching out with his finger to touch it- its probably not done in the best way- but im probably too lazy to change it now :P

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the blur on the left guy, but not so much on the right. This is probably because the pose of the left guy suggest that he's stopping mid strike, whereas the right guy appears to be about to strike, hence the blur feels contrived (like you just threw it in there, as opposed to it SHOULD be there).

I really like it overall. The only thing I'd say at this point is that the legs on the dudes in the background feel like they need *something*. I wish I could say what, but right now they're just so flat compared to the nicely rendered rest of the image.

Awesome work.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What program did u do the lineart in?

And I like the effect, but its difficult, cos the lineart is so good, maybe just a little less blur, and none on the right like heart said. It definately looks like they're actually fighting though, just not sure if it looks better...ah, man, sorry, the whole image is just extremely rad, its hard to level anything at it other than howdhedodats.

Prohass on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Them kneepads shure look better now, although the bolt could be redrawn real quick so that its outline is more rounded, not just the shading.

The motion blur is definitely out of place on the sword guy. Big guy looks pretty natural with it, but I'm not sure if the effect is worth sacrificing the very "clean" and detailed look you have going on.

It would be a lot of work, but I think to give them a sense of what they're doing, adding a battle in the background might help. Right now, it's tough to tell why they're fighting, but if you give them context, it might help flesh out their actions and movement as well. Just a really nasty paintover to try and illustrate:

orcbattalpaintover.png

Just imagine those blotches to be more orcs. I think making the scene busier might give their actions a bit more life.
    Some of those corpse bits you mentioned might also go well in the foreground, to extend the battle into it.
    Like I said, though, this may be more work than you want to put into this at this point.

EDIT: Gragh people say things before I can because I move slow.

Surfpossum on
    edited March 2008
    Your right Surfpossum- that does look cooler... I was considering adding some more things- now I might just have too.

Prohass-They are just old school analogue lines (pencil and inks), hence the lack of lines variation- i suck at doing that in the real world.

I think I might just dump the blur

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
    edited March 2008
    Im gonna call this done

A big H5 for all the help :)

orcwip10ck9.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Awesome, that's much better with all the dudes in the background. Gives it more depth along with (the obvious) making it clearer there's a fight going on. :^: :^:

bombardier on
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    amazing picture! the final image is even better than i was expecting

sharky t on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Far too much awesomness for one image, I demand it be decreased.

Mustang on
    edited March 2008
    Oh you guys are too kind :)

Seriously- thanks for the awesome words of love

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man... to see it go from original state to that is quite astounding. Great job. :D

Kris on
    edited March 2008
    Just popping in to say that the battle made a world of difference to the guys fighting.
    Looks really sweet now, A+ would look at again.

Surfpossum on