As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So V for Vendetta sucks

13»

• Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »
    If you like the sound of getting your eye sockets raped with a splintery stick... then sure, give From Hell a go.

Hey August, was that a reference to the John DeFoe games?
    Is it really that bad?

It is the greatest single work of fiction I've ever read.

I'm not qualified to analyse it in any serious way and do it justice, but, especially as there's been a recent reprint, you owe it to yourself to pick it up. It's probably the most critically acclaimed comic book in the medium's history, and for good reason.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seriously? From Hell? You need to read more obviously... to call it the greatest single work of fiction is absolutely mind boggling.

I would have thought Sandman or Watchmen, to name two alternatives, would be more critically acclaimed than From Hell by a long way.

And I was primarily referring to the art, which is eye bleedingly awful

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to have to agree with Virral. Even Alan Moore would call that comment bullshit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is my favorite panel from the book:
    http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/vendetta.jpg

Though I remember the coloring being different in the trade.

Lux on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just read the first few pages of From Hell on Amazon. Yeah, I'm not going to be able to read an entire book of that.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really like the art in From Hell actually, it's the handwriting that's eye-gougingly bad. I think most of you are too used to reading cape books to appreciate a different artstyle.

And From Hell is pretty fucking critically acclaimed, Moore probably likes it better than Watchmen too.

Aleph on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got it off my shelf today, thought I'd give it a second chance... and then I remembered how gross it looks.

And yeah, quite a bit of that is the lettering, but definitely not all of it.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Seriously? From Hell? You need to read more obviously... to call it the greatest single work of fiction is absolutely mind boggling.

I would have thought Sandman or Watchmen, to name two alternatives, would be more critically acclaimed than From Hell by a long way.

And I was primarily referring to the art, which is eye bleedingly awful

The single greatest work of fiction that I've read. I've dug into Proust and Pynchon and all the other coffee house wank-hat favourites and I still maintain that not only is From Hell the greatest piece of literature to be presented as a comic book, it is the finest piece of writing that I've encountered in any medium. When I have the time, I'll make a thread about it.

And From Hell received far greater critical acclaim from the more respected (read: broadsheet) newspapers than any comic that came before it. Sandman and Watchmen (excellent though they are) have far better distribution and far easier-to-swallow themes, partly explaining their mainstream popularity. It's Warren Ellis' favourite comic, if that means anything to you.

And I like the art. It's perfect for the sordid, sooty environment it's portraying. More than that, people forget Eddie Campbell is an accomplished writer himself (Alec and Bacchus are both series well worth hunting for) and that he contributed much to the plotting of the book. The writing, I suspect, wouldn't have nearly been as good without him.

Of course, feel free to discount the above as the ramblings of an illiterate plebeian just because I don't think Rushdie's Midnight Children or Percival Everett's Glyph are necessarily as worthy of the acclaim they've received.

Also, I keep forgetting to link to this marvellous time-sink of a website: http://www.alanmooreinterview.co.uk/

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to have to agree with Virral. Even Alan Moore would call that comment bullshit.
    mmmm no From Hell is his favorite thing he's done

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    mmmm no From Hell is his favorite thing he's done

Well, he spent 10 years writing/researching it, so saying otherwise would be like being kicked in the balls.

muninn on
  • Options
    jabbausafjabbausaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I think it might be useful to hear what Moore himself says about Vendetta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX7ehbE1vc0
    (Warning: Alan Moore looks like the crazy old man who lives down the block. If you've never before seen what he looks like, just be forewarned when clicking that link.)

Alan Moore looks like he gets all his jewelry from the overly dramatic Goth wanna-be section of Hot Topic. Way too much finger armor.

I read V fo Vendetta and The Watchmen at about the same time. After first readings, I liked V better than Watchmen. After a few more, I think I prefer Watchmen to V for Vendetta. But I still like both.

jabbausaf on
    I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it.
    -Groucho Marx
    Steam: [SF] Progurt
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moore has this huge hate-on for Margaret Thatcher that would probably irk me if I was reading his stuff when it came out. Pretty much every comic he's ever written has tried to shoot a big spunky load all over her face.

Cosmic Sombrero on