As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Countdown: Out with a whimper

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=151745

the art for next week is total butt

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't wait until this spins off into a sitcom comic.

"Darkseid moves in with Mary Marvel, but how long can they last when Harley and Holly move in across the hall? And what is Booster Gold doing with that cat?!"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So....I've got the feeling that there is a CRAZY amount of weird behind-the-scenes stuff going on with Countdown. Considering that it isn't anywhere near its original mission statement of being the 'spine of the DCU' while also dealing with its Counting Down story. Then there's the complete lack of Final Crisis connection and the plot that is ALL OVER THE PLACE. I bet there could be a far more interesting book written about the stuff going on in the book's creation. I am glad that I have now seen Darkseid on a couch.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So....I've got the feeling that there is a CRAZY amount of weird behind-the-scenes stuff going on with Countdown. Considering that it isn't anywhere near its original mission statement of being the 'spine of the DCU' while also dealing with its Counting Down story. Then there's the complete lack of Final Crisis connection and the plot that is ALL OVER THE PLACE. I bet there could be a far more interesting book written about the stuff going on in the book's creation. I am glad that I have now seen Darkseid on a couch.

Yeah, the whole "spine of the DCU" was the general idea behind 52 as well and that only lasted about 5 issues before they off and running with their own story lines. It seems like the reason they deviated from that plan with 52 was because they were really on to something. In Countdown it seems like they just tried to force lightening to strike twice.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    52 was never intended to be the spine of the DCU, it was supposed to tell the story of the missing year and bridge the gap between Infinite Crisis and OYL.

Now, thats not really what it ended up being either, but it was never the "spine"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    52 wasn't the "spine" of the DCU, it was just supposed to explain the stuff that happened between Infinite Crisis and One Year Later.

Except people were more interested in the characters in 52 than what happened with the main characters so they did World War III to explain everything (which it didn't really do)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    step off Keith

I got this

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it was supposed to be the only representation (or spine) of the DCU for that missing year.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    thats not what that fucking means at all good god

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    thats not what that fucking means at all good god

Semantics.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it was supposed to be the only representation (or spine) of the DCU for that missing year.

no

it was the story of that year

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »

no

it was the story of that year

How is that different from what I said? 52 was going to be all the shit that happened in the DCU during the missing year.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How do you not understand the difference between a self contained story and a series that every other DC title and story is supposed to branch out from (thats what the "spine" thing means)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How do you not understand the difference between a self contained story and a series that every other DC title and story is supposed to branch out from (thats what the "spine" thing means)

Dude, semantics. We are talking about different things. What you read as one thing, I read as something else.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    this is not semantics, this is you not making any goddamn sense

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

52 was supposed to explain everything that happened in the missing year - which would explain how we got to where we were in OYL. Now obviously, it didn't really happen that way, but I can't say that it was originally billed as "self-contained" and certainly was more along the line of a series that every other DC title (sporting the OYL icon to boot) was supposed to branch out from.

So while Llama certainly sounds like he's talking out of his ass (*gosh, semantics* isn't the best way to get your point across) I'd still agree with him. And hey maybe it is all just about the point of view here: Countdown was supposed to directly influence books concurrently whereas 52 was only setting up things retroactively - but they were both billed to influence the totality of the DCU.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Remember all the crazy news coming out of OYL? Those were exciting times.

Am I wrong in thinking none of it stuck around?

Lux on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OYL was a jarring unnecessary interruption of the flow of the DCU at the time. I think it's only now starting to recover a bit, although Countdown and Countdown related stories are doing their damndest to derail it again.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was pretty fond of most One Year Later stuff when it happened except for Nightwing....ugh. I was pretty disappointed about Bruce still being Batman. Blood of the Demon One Year Later was HILARIOUS because the book somehow got even MORE confusing and seemed to miss the point of the whole thing.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was pretty fond of most One Year Later stuff when it happened except for Nightwing....ugh. I was pretty disappointed about Bruce still being Batman. Blood of the Demon One Year Later was HILARIOUS because the book somehow got even MORE confusing and seemed to miss the point of the whole thing.

Byrne supposedly did that on purpose, because he was mad about being forced to jump ahead. He bitches about it at his forum at least once a week (and every single time the current DC comics or Dan Didio comes up).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The time jump allowed for some interesting things, like Catwoman giving birth. Can you imagine having to go through a year of storylines of her trying to be active without giving herself an abortion, etc? Skipping ahead a year allows you to do some big changes to a character that would kill an ongoing storyline if you had to show each step of the process.

Hard to think of other examples where it was really taken advantage of though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Byrne supposedly did that on purpose, because he was mad about being forced to jump ahead. He bitches about it at his forum at least once a week (and every single time the current DC comics or Dan Didio comes up).

Ohhh...I tend to avoid the Byrne Boards...because they are the Byrne Boards.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    But Catwoman gave the baby away and Holly is off hanging out with Harley Quinn now.

There was a moment there where it felt like the status quo was changing, but I think Wonder Woman's the only one where it stuck.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Catwoman giving her baby away isn't a "return to the status quo".

Well, I guess it kind of is, but it also added to her character and she still talks about Helena.

Speaking of, I wonder how long it will take for them to go "hey guys it was Batman's baby all along Catwoman just got confused" because seriously, Sam Bradly Jr.?

If it was Slam's, hey, okay, kind of weird, but he's cool. His son's, who hasn't really been seen at all? Lame

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wasn't Sam Bradley the guy in the armored tech suit that tried to infiltrate the villains and got killed in Catwoman?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i dunno

maybe?

i didn't really keep up with Catwoman for a while when OYL hit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I just read that preview for the next countdown....that is so horribly retarded.....ugh.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Catwoman giving her baby away isn't a "return to the status quo".

Well, I guess it kind of is, but it also added to her character and she still talks about Helena.

Speaking of, I wonder how long it will take for them to go "hey guys it was Batman's baby all along Catwoman just got confused" because seriously, Sam Bradly Jr.?

If it was Slam's, hey, okay, kind of weird, but he's cool. His son's, who hasn't really been seen at all? Lame
    yeah, this was pretty much what i thought when i heard who the father was

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    But Batman doesn't want to have kids of his own, he's a serial adopter.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Batman already has a kid of his own

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    More than one, I'd wager. He leaves his DNA all over town!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Counting his adoptions, Bats probably has more kids than any other hero in comics.

Scooter on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    More than one, I'd wager. He leaves his DNA all over town!

Not remotely what I mean.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Counting his adoptions, Bats probably has more kids than any other hero in comics.

what about that chinese superhero who constantly gives birth

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And now that The Question has her own cult, he can't even boast about having the most sidekicks in Gotham.

Speaking of which, I think she should dress her cult up in matching outfits and call them The Inquisition. Furthermore, they should all patrol together, descending in the dozens on petty crooks and hoodlums,

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    speaking of The Question, it is annoying how we still haven't had any Batman + Batwoman scenes/explanations yet.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I guess that big stack of completed Batwoman issues by Rucka & JH Williams really are going to sit there at DC forever.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    30wqsty.png

Me too, Donna. Me too.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    speaking of The Question, it is annoying how we still haven't had any Batman + Batwoman scenes/explanations yet.

I've been complaining about this for a long time. I mean, the guy goes out of his way to be downright antagonistic toward Huntress because she wore his symbol during No Man's Land. I can't imagine why he wouldn't do the same to Batwoman. And since she's going to be on that Justice League team, how are they going to explain why Batman has never confronted her?

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    She's also going to appear in Gotham Underground, I believe

Garlic Bread on