As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PCI sound card optical in -> analog out

AzioAzio Registered User regular
Does anyone know of a sound card that will take digital optical in, decode it, and output it on 5.1 analog jacks?

I've got these Logitech 5.1 speakers, but they don't have a digital input, so I've been passing my 360 and laptop through the stereo line-in on my Audigy 2 for like a year. It works alright, but it's stereo only. Now that I'm building a new desktop I intend to solve that little problem once and for all, but I haven't been able to figure out if this is actually possible.

Azio on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a sound card that will take digital optical in, decode it, and output it on 5.1 analog jacks?

I've got these Logitech 5.1 speakers, but they don't have a digital input, so I've been passing my 360 and laptop through the stereo line-in on my Audigy 2 for like a year. It works alright, but it's stereo only. Now that I'm building a new desktop I intend to solve that little problem once and for all, but I haven't been able to figure out if this is actually possible.

On a PCI card? Highly unlikely. Unless you mean PCI Express.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't most motherboards have an optical in nowadays? You should be able to use that then listen to the optical input coming out of the analog outputs.

Pastoriusk2 on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't most motherboards have an optical in nowadays? You should be able to use that then listen to the optical input coming out of the analog outputs.

Yes, but a lot of people don't like the quality produced by the sound chip on a mobo.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea, I suppose the converters on the mobo aren't too great. Only thing I would recommend to do what he needs with good quality and without getting in to pro gear is to get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102014

Pastoriusk2 on
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, onboard is out of the question. I understand Creative has one or two boards with optical-in like that X-Fi Fatality one but I was sort of hoping to not have to spend $200 on my sound card. Is that Turtle Beach one any good for gaming?

Azio on