As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the reason you see Paul playing it on the Macbook is because its just for testing. Unlike with games made for consoles they don't have a definitive rig to do all their testing on. For PC games it could easily be a Mac yet the game will only be available for Windows. Course he could also be dual booting to do it as well.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    I have a friend who was STRIPPED of his beta account because of inactivity....so much hate.

Was he like sick or out of the country or something? He'd better have a darn good reason for being inactive.

Of course, I'd also be curious what Mythic's definition of "inactive" is. A week? a month? a day?

If they're still doing the one-out-one-in thing, I imagine some happy person got your friend's slot. And hopefully that person is not being inactive.

So many people ravenous for a chance to test this game, and we've got people who have the ability to test and are not... there's a special place in hell for those people :p .

/special hell

I somehow doubt the validity of this friend's claim, however. Sure he wasn't STRIPPED of his beta account for breaking the NDA or sharing access or something else dumb? Because I've had access since last year, but there were months that I didn't bother patching or playing, and I could log in to the most recent push just fine.

riz on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Selner wrote: »
    I have a friend who was STRIPPED of his beta account because of inactivity....so much hate.

Was he like sick or out of the country or something? He'd better have a darn good reason for being inactive.

Of course, I'd also be curious what Mythic's definition of "inactive" is. A week? a month? a day?

If they're still doing the one-out-one-in thing, I imagine some happy person got your friend's slot. And hopefully that person is not being inactive.

So many people ravenous for a chance to test this game, and we've got people who have the ability to test and are not... there's a special place in hell for those people :p .

/special hell

I somehow doubt the validity of this friend's claim, however. Sure he wasn't STRIPPED of his beta account for breaking the NDA or sharing access or something else dumb? Because I've had access since last year, but there were months that I didn't bother patching or playing, and I could log in to the most recent push just fine.

Well, he's a WoW friend for whatever that's worth. I was talking to him 2-3 days ago and asked if he'd been playing much WAR beta (as he taunted to me that he got in the beta like the day after they started inviting people even though I registered BEFORE him). He told me (and I paraphrase): "I'm not playing but (insert other friend's name here) still is. I got my account taken from me for 'lack of feedback and play.' haha"

Dissociater on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2008
    Unless he never downloaded the client he either:

1. Is lying about being in beta
    2. Is lying about not being in beta anymore
    3. broke the NDA
    4. broke the beta forum rules

Unknown User on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay so I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. I'm all over this shit.

SJ on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like how the AoC preorder page from Amazon.com has a typo...

"Test your metal in close combat."

I think they meant to word mettle which means "courage and fortitude: a man of mettle."

Lucky Cynic on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It could just be a pun, too.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It could absolutely, definitely, be a pun. Since it is.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited March 2008
    thats a dumb pun, youre dumb

Unknown User on
    edited March 2008
    robothero wrote: »

TO WAR MY COMRADES! I HAVE A NEW SWORD TO TEST! I SHALL TEST MY METALS!

MY METALS! LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!

EDIT: Btw, I probably should have shared the link in the previous post.

DOUBLE EDIT: Apparently the NON collectors edition has shown up for preorder as well, for those of you stupid enough not to want the extra goodies.

Lucky Cynic on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

TO WAR MY COMRADES! I HAVE A NEW SWORD TO TEST! I SHALL TEST MY METALS!

MY METALS! LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!

EDIT: Btw, I probably should have shared the link in the previous post.

I shall test my sword on your hide.

Thus testing my metal.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited March 2008
    Dem's foitin' wordz! Wherez my hammar, Iz gotta squish sombody!

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2008
    fight this - check your beta center, more invites are out.

Unknown User on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    damnit, I'd like to get in the NA beta already.

fucking frenchies and nazis. can't understand a word of their gibberish

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited March 2008
    Hah! Look what I found!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EkQvPQJ1_Dk

Maaaan, thank god Mythic took over, that thing looks nothing like Warhammer!

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2008
    I actually like the voiceover on that trailer.

Unknown User on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Exarch wrote: »
    Did my pre order at GS on Weds, they said they didn't have the beta code slip yet, but on Friday the manager was in the store and I talked to him, apparently it had been sitting on his desk for about three weeks, he just hadn't opened it yet, so the staff didn't know they had them.

Yeah, nearly same thing happend to me. When I asked about it the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Luckily the manager did, but she hadn't opened them yet. Either I was the first person to preorder or I was the first person to ask about them.
    So... what happens to people who preorder over Amazon? No beta?

Wait wait wait.

There's a beta for the preorder? I preordered on gamestop.com, and got no email of such?

KiTA on
    edited March 2008
    I think the Mark of Chaos trailer is especially nice and juicy.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=d_KlINBUYc4&feature=related

Any words on the second cinematic trailer coming?

Lucky Cynic on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hah! Look what I found!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EkQvPQJ1_Dk

Maaaan, thank god Mythic took over, that thing looks nothing like Warhammer!

I actually watched it demoed at a Games Day back when it was in development. It felt/looked better than that video lets on (when it was working, 98% of the time it was either at a blue screen of death or they couldn't get it to launch).

But yes, agreed completely on the thanking of Gork and Mork for Mythic. I thought it had promise, but it wasn't very Warhammer-y.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think the Mark of Chaos trailer is especially nice and juicy.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=d_KlINBUYc4&feature=related

Any words on the second cinematic trailer coming?

The Mark of Chaos intro is awesome, but I think the stand alone expansion's intro tops it.
    Because it has more WAAAAAGHHH!

-SPI- on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    too bad it was such a flawed rts

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    too bad it was such a flawed rts

Only if you consider completely unplayable crap "flawed".

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's amazing how many basic RTS features that game got wrong, it's not like there haven't been any standards found in 20 years of the genre so far or anything.

815165 on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    It's amazing how many basic RTS features that game got wrong, it's not like there haven't been any standards found in 20 years of the genre so far or anything.

To be fair, weren't they intentionally trying to mimic the old "Shadow of the Horned Rat" game?

KiTA on
    edited April 2008
    I was more thinking along the lines of "dont let a single unit be stronger than an entire army", unless that game did that too.

815165 on
    edited April 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »

To be fair, weren't they intentionally trying to mimic the old "Shadow of the Horned Rat" game?

That game with new graphics would have been vastly better. MoC was just not fun. A pretty slideshow sometimes, when it wasn't crashing with sound errors and weird lag. The story had potential, especially being set during the Great War, but nothing happened with it. Abilities were bland and useless.

The skaven voices were awesome though. Sometimes I try to play it just to make skaven run around and talk. Then it crashes and I uninstall it again.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well hopefully the 360 version will fix alot of that.

Because I've been planning on buying it.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    I'd totally buy a 3d turn based Warhammer(or 40k) strategy game based entirely on the table top, because it'd save me like £4million or something, plus I can't paint.

Why can't someone make that?

815165 on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

But if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is any indication, I appear to have a strange fetish for tragically flawed, almost good games.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Sitting across the table from a friend, three beers deep, attempting to carefully manoeuvre half-painted toy soldiers, is one of the finest experiences known to mankind.

No computer version could come close. Might as well make it something more suited to video games.

Thorpe, I can't disagree. It was a good foundation with dizzying potential.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i've always wanted to try a table top anything, but the crowd for that sucks in arizona (classic anti-social sour milk smelling basement dwellers) and none of my friends are into it : /

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

But if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is any indication, I appear to have a strange fetish for tragically flawed, almost good games.

I wouldn't put S.T.A.L.K.E.R. down there with Mark of Chaos.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited April 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    thorpe wrote: »

I wouldn't put S.T.A.L.K.E.R. down there with Mark of Chaos.

Just on sheer disapointment, I think Mark of Chaos is in a class entirely its own.

And yeah, no game is worth playing with the "lifestyle" gamers. They won't be able to talk about anything but, or will smell bad enough to make the whole deal horrible.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Wait wait wait.

There's a beta for the preorder? I preordered on gamestop.com, and got no email of such?
    Amazon had them located in my lists section of their site. No idea what Gamestop is doing to get people their codes. But yes, preorders do get one into the open beta if I read everything right.

Quid on
    edited April 2008
    The way you guys talk about it make me glad I didn't get Mark of chaos, although I REALLY wanted to. I was hoping it was going to be like...Fantasy DoW, or maybe Warhammer meets Myth.

Dissociater on
  • Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, man, Mark of Chaos. I was so looking forward to that game, up until I played the demo. Then all my excitement turned to nausea, and I remember thinking to myself, "How could the have screwed this up?"

So I played Dawn of War instead!

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
    edited April 2008
    every day when I play dawn of war, I just pretend its in the fantasy universe. except with spaceships

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    I will probably pick up MoC with it's upcoming EP when they are in the bargain bin.

Lucky Cynic on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    every day when I play dawn of war, I just pretend its in the fantasy universe. except with spaceships

I'm going to be doing the same thing with WAR, only pretending I see space ships.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

I'm going to be doing the same thing with WAR, only pretending I see space ships.

I do that without video games though...

Dissociater on
This discussion has been closed.