As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deaf Expo Goer - Any buddies that know sign?

Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
j0. Deaf dude here. *glances around, noting the weird looks*

Okay, explanation then.

I'm Sean Danielson of Aydemir Films Machinima, and an avid gamer.

Also. I'm deaf.

I read about the PAX a couple days ago, and immediately ordered a two-day pass. I may as well be spending both days playing the games there, heh. Not exactly going to be riding the Metro back and forth just for the expo.

My problem is this.

Naturally I'd like to attend the panels, but the communication barriers would prevent any real dialogue from occuring between me and the panelists.

Because I can't hear very well (ambient sound fine, voices are tough to discern). And I can't lipread to save my life.

So, I'm posting here in hopes I'll find some expo-goers who knows enough sign language to help translate for me while I attend PAX.

If anyone's going to PAX, and knows signlanguage, or has experience as a deaf sign language interpreter, feel free to contact me via AIM, MSN, YIM or Email.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Signed,
Sean Danielson
Aydemir Films Machinima
http://machinima.aydemirfilms.com
Formerly KA Filmworks

Previous works:
GUNMETAL: Racer's Edge (Interstate '82 Mod for BF1942)
WAR: What is it Good For? (Desert Combat Beta)
Desert Warfare: In The End (Desert Combat Alpha 0.2)

Kato_Arabel on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    ive seen guys at my university have programs on their laptop that translate voice into type.

or maybe a fast typer could do that for you (unless its too noisy for those attending)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Barenaked_EnidBarenaked_Enid Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I know how to sign the alphabet.... that probably wouldn't be too much help I guess.

Barenaked_Enid on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm not an expert in sign language, but I can do a long-range mic setup. You can hear voices if you have headphones on, right? Like an earbud or something?

You failed to mention that you were deaf in our brief AIM convo. If you can hear voices OK with a set of sound amplifiers (read:headphones/earbuds) and a long-range mic, then I can definitely help. I've got quite a bit of experience in that area.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I would offer to type on a laptop for you, but I was trying to keep up with the TV just now and I'm not NEARLY as fast as I thought I was. Sorry. :(

Oh, I found a non-profit in Seattle that might help you out:
    http://www.aslis.org/

It's a sign language school, so I'll bet they have lots of students looking for real experience. You might want to drop them an email explaining your situation.

Doc on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The only word I know in sign language is "boring". However, I don't think I'll need to know that one when I go to PAX.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the assistance so far. I'll be sure to check that ASLIS website.

I received an email from the PAX organizers -- they'll be doing some research on this issue. Hope they come up with something. :)

Oh and Deusfaux, I noticed you're looking for the Mysteries of the Sith expansion - the Electronics Botique store down in Federal Way here in Washington State should have a copy or two...I saw a copy when I was thumbing through the used games section. :P

Kato_Arabel on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I know a few signs. Not as many as I used to. My mom used to be an interpreter for the deaf.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Bring a notepad and a pen. Write to each other dude, that would work right?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MegapuppyMegapuppy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Its a huge coincidence that I just finished an ASL 1 class last semester. I have very basic ASL skills and can fingerspell reasonably well. I hope to meet you there and check out some of the panels. I really doubt that I will be able to translate fast enough though. :|

Megapuppy on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I bet you kick ass at DDR, since you don't have the distraction of the music. Just the arrows, man. Just the arrows.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB