As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    every day when I play dawn of war, I just pretend its in the fantasy universe. except with spaceships

Every day when I play Dawn of War I wonder why no one has modded it into the fantasy universe.

narv107 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    narv107 wrote: »
    every day when I play dawn of war, I just pretend its in the fantasy universe. except with spaceships

Every day when I play Dawn of War I wonder why no one has modded it into the fantasy universe.

I'm guessing it has something to do with 40k being infinitely cooler and not part of a done to death genre.

Accualt on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You mean there is an over abundance of Fantasy RTS that don't suck?

Damn, I must be out of the loop.

narv107 on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Because the dirty little secret of DoW is that the melee combat kind of sucks.

zenpotato on
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    So...since...since it got delayed...guild beta starts tomorrow? Please

no

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I just realized I wasn't signed up for beta(just the newsletter).

EPIC FAIL

:(

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    I'm considering giving one of the CE preorders I have to someone else now, you are undeserving.

Unknown User on
  • life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I swear 8 years ago when I signed up for the newsletter, that it was also the beta sign-up.

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    life3 wrote: »
    I swear 58 years ago when I signed up for the newsletter, that it was also the beta sign-up.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited April 2008
    Entaru wrote: »
    I swear 258 years ago when I signed up for the newsletter, that it was also the beta sign-up.

Shamuuu on
    edited April 2008
    isnt that when the guild beta was supposed to start?

:ducks:

Unknown User on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

I'm guessing it has something to do with 40k being infinitely cooler and not part of a done to death genre.

40k is vastly less nuanced and lacks the awesome pseudo-historical components. It's just over-the-top imagery and endless shades of black. Boring.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    But....ORKS IN SPACE

Dissociater on
    edited April 2008
    It's not like there's no awesomeness. It's just there's a reason GW gamers have traditionally started with 40k then moved on to WFB since the early 90's or so. 40k just doesn't have the depth to maintain the same interest or types of games.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »

40k has less ratmen. Boring.

Oats on
    edited April 2008
    It's not like there's no awesomeness. It's just there's a reason GW gamers have traditionally started with 40k then moved on to WFB since the early 90's or so. 40k just doesn't have the depth to maintain the same interest or types of games.

I dunno. Maybe it's just wikipedia but I've read a lot of the fluff for both WFB and 40k and it seems as though there's a lot more stuff for 40k. Again that might just be wikipedia's doing. But the story there seems much more detailed than the fantasy counterpart.

I think it just comes down to people choosing between Sci-Fi and fantasy.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, that too.

Also, it only appears to be standard elves and orcs fantasy; half the fun is in breaking expectations.

"What do you mean that Wood Elf keeps human children as slaves? Wood Elves are good!"

Wiki is a horrible resource for GW stuff, by the way. Half of it is wrong or conjecture, not to mention WFB has vastly more documented detail than 40k, though the release of Dark Heresy is shoring that up some.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I believe that, but I don't know where else to turn when I want to read some fluff on a slow work day!

Dissociater on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, GW's not too web-friendly when it comes to background.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Argh. I come back from a 9 day holiday eagerly looking for a beta invite, or at least good news, and i get greeted with no beta invite and another delay?! DAMN!

At least the rest of the news is pretty damn good, such as the CE which looks damn tasty.

Lly on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know Ravenloft? WFB is closer to that than vanilla fantasy. Although 40k is probably more original design-wise, the lore still has many fantasy trappings. I mean, Warhammer is either gothic fantasy in a sci-fi setting, or gothic fantasy in a dark ages setting.

While I love 40k, the scale of the thing is so ridiculously huge that it's difficult to establish a universe with coherence and familiarity; in lore, most stories basically amount to who is the evilest/most zealous of them all? WFB is more about the world, though I suppose everyone are still complete assholes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh wait this is the FANTASY Warhammer? D:

Jeez it really IS World of Warhammer...Online. Preorders CANCELLED.
    APRIL FOOLS

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    40k is vastly less nuanced and lacks the awesome pseudo-historical components. It's just over-the-top imagery and endless shades of black. Boring.

Yeah, for me, I think the very fact of being sci-fi gives a lot of points right off the bat, to 40k. Sci-fi is just so damn rare.
    Cherrn wrote: »
    While I love 40k, the scale of the thing is so ridiculously huge that it's difficult to establish a universe with coherence and familiarity; in lore, most stories basically amount to who is the evilest/most zealous of them all? WFB is more about the world, though I suppose everyone are still complete assholes.

This seems fairly accurate as far as wanting to focus on individual character plot lines. But honestly, my interest in 40k comes from a more historical world-view.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    This seems fairly accurate as far as wanting to focus on individual character plot lines. But honestly, my interest in 40k comes from a more historical world-view.

I certainly understand the draw toward 40k purely on a sci-fi basis; I tend to vastly prefer gritty, historically-based fantasy over sci-fi any day. Something about parallelling things that actually existed and mixing them up with more traditional fantasy elements works for me.

17th century Holy Roman Empire gunlines versus orcs that fight like 5th century Visigoths but talk like football hooligans? Yes please. I'll take that over armored space-warrior-monks that mutter stuff in Latin any day.

Ultimately, Warhammer is actually little-influenced by Tolkien and his offshoots. Orcs (in name only) act and look nothing like the Tolkien/D&D variety (they're green, they're not "evil" per se), Elves are imperialist, facist, and often slavers or hedonists (though the names are very Tolkien). Dwarfs are probably the closest, but more obsessive.

Warhammer owes vastly more to pulp swords-and-sorcery than anything else; Howard, Leiber, and especially, a hundred-times over, Moorcock. After those types, real-world history, with Tolkien-elements being third.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I GOT INTO BETA!

APRIL FOOLS!

:lol:

:D

:)

:?

:(

D:

:cry:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • VazusVazus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For all you clamoring for a 40k MMO:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/warhammer40kmmo/index.html

Vazus on
    edited April 2008
    Vazus wrote: »

Yeah I was all excited about that when I first heard about it, but from the sounds of it, it's probably going to be an MMOFPS like planet side. Which is fine, but not really what I'm personally in the market for. Nevertheless, being W:40k I'll probably give it a shot when it finally comes out.

Dissociater on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Vazus wrote: »

I also just heard that we landed a man on the moon!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked 40K in the earlier days, when it was absolutely, mercilessly Gothic, depressing, and ridiculously over the top. Y'know, all that "A 1000 souls consumed everyday to fuel a corpse god writhing with energies from the Dark Age of Technology" jazz.

Of late it feels like its moving closer and closer to a blander science fiction setting. Titans, for example, have moved from 900 foot tall idols of worship laden with guns normally mounted to battlecruisers to 650 point resin models. Then there's the sharp dichotomy between representation in the background of the various races and how poorly that generally translates to the tabletop (space marines singlehandedly slaughtering entire armies, anyone?). And don't even get me started on the hammer Dan Abnett has taken to the Imperial Guard.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Oddly, I'm reading Eisenhorn and enjoying it right now; feels much more traditional 40k than Abnett's Ghosts abominations. Still, the evolution of the game after early 2nd edition will leave me never very interested. Dark Heresy is cool and all, but it just doesn't capture the same way as WFB, which is thematically intact from the early days.

There's just so much more to it.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I swear 8 years ago when I signed up for the newsletter, that it was also the beta sign-up.

Two years ago at Origins I got a card that signed me up for the newsletter that was also supposed to be a beta sign up and of course, nothing. Last year I received a card with a code from them giving me a reserved spot in the beta, and again nothing. This year I'm expecting the developers to hand me a boxed copy, only to get it home and find a completely blank cd. They are the horrendous teases.

Aoi on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Orcs driving Tanks pretty much sums up why 40k is more interesting (TO ME) than Blandhammer.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Hey, I won't dispute the coolness of that, but the whole setting can't be as awesome as orks with technological weaponry. Like flamethrowers.

:^:

Just wait, you're relatively new to this whole 40k/WFB thing, aren't you? You'll see... you'll see.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yay I got my open beta code thingy.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Yay I got my open beta code thingy.

Who did you order from?

Ash-Housewares on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm surprised Mythic didn't have anything up for an April Fools thing, even if the game isn't out yet... Heh, wouldn't it be funny if their announcement of the delay was the April Fools joke =P?

D:

:x

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm surprised Mythic didn't have anything up for an April Fools thing, even if the game isn't out yet... Heh, wouldn't it be funny if their announcement of the delay was the April Fools joke =P?

D:

Even better if they sent out emails titled: WARHAMMER ONLINE! Beta now Open!

Then with size one font when opened.

"Maybe next year..."

Lucky Cynic on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arthil wrote: »

D:

Even better if they sent out emails titled: WARHAMMER ONLINE! Guild Beta now Open!

Then with size one font when opened.

"Maybe next year..."

Fixed.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited April 2008
    im glad they didnt waste their time doing an april fools joke, just means they are busy doing things that are actually relevant

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    im glad they didnt waste their time doing an april fools joke, just means they are busy doing things that are actually relevant

My thoughts exactly. I'm fine, though, if they fuck around after a stable and complete launch of a fun game.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.