As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing sweets.

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So mainly because my brother is Kyougu and I refuse to be the "fat twin", Im really trying to focus on losing weight once more. Something I have always had trouble with is sweets. I'm a big soda drinker, and a meal doesn't seem right unless I have something sweet at the end. So I come here looking for your recommendations. What have you guys replaced chocolate and soda with? I know fruit is going to be thrown around, but is there anything else? A good chocolate replacement?

noir_blood on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2008
    willpower

Tube on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Chocolate frozen yogurt. Yogurt in general is pretty good for you as long as you stay away from the ones high in sugar.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fruit? Sweet AND healthy!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I second the fruit motion
    if I'm craving ice cream, I usually just eat frozen mixed berries. It ends up being more satisfying and not nearly as unhealthy
    Also consider getting fruit juices and things like lemonade instead of pop to go with food (lemonade is easy to make, just make sure you don't oversweeten it. Don't use the powdered crap, just mix water, lemon juice [which you can buy a bottle of] and a little bit of sugar. Can also do this with lime juice and make limeade, mmmmm)

ihmmy on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You like that chocolate that's like 99.9% cocoa and no sugar? Munch on that.

Try to just do sweets once a week, but get something high quality, so you really look forward to it.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ihmmy wrote: »
    if I'm craving ice cream, I usually just eat frozen mixed berries. It ends up being more satisfying and not nearly as unhealthy

I'll third the fruit idea. Though if you're going the frozen route, be careful and check out the stuff you buy, because a lot of the frozen fruit options will have a sugar syrup added to them before they're frozen, so you're not really much better off (same goes for canned, get stuff in it's own juice if at all possible instead of light or heavy syrup). Personally fresh fruit is where it's at.

You could also try switching to a diet soda. I could never really stand diet sodas, but the Pepsi One that's sweetened with Splenda is a pretty good substitute for Pepsi (can't speak for the coke/splenda version since I don't drink coke). This could easily be an intermediate step if you instantly cut down to diet sodas, then work on phasing out the soda completely in favor of healthier options.

Daenris on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fruit again. It's really willpower that does it though.

I also find a nice piece of crystallized ginger can top off a meal nicely.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    low-carb chocolate protein powder mixed with low-fat cottage cheese + blueberries on top is great.

But if you're trying to find something that tastes as good as the fat and sugar in chocolate, you're gonna be pretty disappointed.
    If you eat clean and bust ass at the gym all week, you can eat REAL chocolate on your cheat day and not be a fattie.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fruit! Lowfat Yogurt! Dried fruits (prunes? rasins?).

If you are interested in making your own sweets/baked goods, Honey is a good substitute for sugar, and in most recipes, sugar can be replaced with honey.

I also find that black Tea with a splash of milk and a teaspoon of honey is a great finish to a meal, and a satisfying desert.

The key with chocolate is to try and avoid overly sweetened chocolate. Chocolate by itself is not terrible for you, and can actually be a good additive in your diet. It may require you to find a confectioner who makes specific desserts/candy of this type.

Also, moderation.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So mainly because my brother is Kyougu and I refuse to be the "fat twin", Im really trying to focus on losing weight once more. Something I have always had trouble with is sweets. I'm a big soda drinker, and a meal doesn't seem right unless I have something sweet at the end. So I come here looking for your recommendations. What have you guys replaced chocolate and soda with? I know fruit is going to be thrown around, but is there anything else? A good chocolate replacement?

Nothing replaces chocolate :)

But I managed to change soda for milk as my first step, and then after a month of that just stopped having chocolate on anything other than the weekends.

Rook on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Try to switch to water if you can hack it. It can be difficult at first, but nowadays that's all I enjoy drinking for the most part. I find soda almost sickening anymore. I wish I'd made the switch years earlier... Would've made me a lot healthier and saved me a lot of money.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    buzzard0627buzzard0627 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For me, replacing a craving typically leaves me unsatisfied and more prone to eating more crap. I would suggest moderation, like eating a Hershey's kiss or two. Not much in the way of calories (20 each or so).

buzzard0627 on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ice Tea, unsweetened is your friend instead of soda. You get something wet WITH caffeine.

useless4 on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Try to switch to water if you can hack it. It can be difficult at first, but nowadays that's all I enjoy drinking for the most part. I find soda almost sickening anymore. I wish I'd made the switch years earlier... Would've made me a lot healthier and saved me a lot of money.

Squeeze fresh lemon into the water. You'd be amazed how much difference it makes.

Fruit smoothies are also great for sweet cravings - blend about 1/4 cup orange juice, a handful of frozen strawberries, and a banana. Yummy, sweet, and healthy.

capnrico on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're craving ice cream, you can make your own frozen yogurt pops really easily. Just take yogurt (lite yogurt if you want, but I'm suspicious of artificial sweetners and just use plain), popsicle sticks, and little plastic cups. Easy. You can also just freeze the yogurt in the container and eat it that way.

Also, try freezing your own grapes, blueberries, bananas (peel them first!), or pineapple chunks. Seriously, nothing is as delicious as a handful of frozen grapes when you've been outside on a hot day.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mmm. Frozen bananas.... Love dem.

Someone mentioned super dark chocolate, and thats a good sub for chocolate cravings - the chem in chocolate people crave (and it might even be good for you) is in the cocoa, not the sugar.

The soda switch off is brutal. Soda water and fruit juice isn't bad, or diet 7 with juice. I can't stand aspartame drinks by themselvs, but combos work out sometimes. Lemon water is a good twist, as is water water. The cravings go away in a couple weeks if you're switching up from your fave soda addiction.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't had soda in almost two years, and let me tell you, it's kind of hard the first week or two but once you've cut it out it is really easy to stay away from. I just drink water now, a glass of OJ in the morning, and occasionally some other kind of juice.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    willpower
    Like Dance Commander says, the longer you go without them, the easier it is.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Seriously, two weeks ago I had been out climbing all day and had finished all my water (about two litres of it) and passed a little sausage sizzle fundraising thing that was selling cans of coke as well (unfotunately no water).

I had one sip and nearly spat the damm thing out it was just too goddam sweet.

Like tube said, willpower through the damm thing.

Blake T on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, the way to go is to cut down but not to declare things verboten.

For me, I knew I needed to drop my soda consumption, but I also knew that if I just said "Oh, no more sodas ever!", I'd last about 3 days. I also knew that basically, if I had soda around, I'd drink it. So the way that worked for me was saying "No buying soda at the grocery store for home." Want to buy a soda when you're out to eat? Sure. Want to bring home a soda with your takeout? That's fine. Want to bring sodas to work instead of having to pay the vending machine? All right. Basically, it allowed me to say "I can go get a coke if I really want one" while playing off of the fact that I am lazy. Once you've broken the mental habit of "I am thirsty"->go get a soda, you can start cutting down on your soda consumption in other places.

Similarly for the chocolate, my husband has the same thing as you about the meal not being over until he's had something sweet (preferably chocolate). So when he was dieting, he'd finish off his meal with chocolate. A chocolate. (Or a small handful of M&Ms.) He kind of hated it (which was why by the end he'd also often have yogurt or something as part of "dessert"), but it kept the cravings at bay.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    So basically you make the excuse of "oh my actions are completely out of my control and therefore I cannot possibly make the relatively simple action of giving up candy and soda and must come up with inexplicable coping mechanisms that involve actually eating the thing I am trying not to eat in order to keep the cravings at bay"

You should counsel heroine addicts.

Tube on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah just slowly change the habit, instead of a chocolate bar or something like that everyday start rotating in fruit and yogurt until everyday its something more healthy. Cutting dead cool is really hard to do for a lot of people so slowly adjusting yourself is much easier. Also try new fruits and healthy snacks you haven't tried before, you may end up finding something that you get even more addicted to that's also healthy for you.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So basically you make the excuse of "oh my actions are completely out of my control and therefore I cannot possibly make the relatively simple action of giving up candy and soda and must come up with inexplicable coping mechanisms that involve actually eating the thing I am trying not to eat in order to keep the cravings at bay"

You should counsel heroine addicts.
    No, I said reducing consumption in one area, then working on others, is what helped me break the habit. Cutting down is a perfectly decent first step to eliminating things.
    I only have a soda once or twice a week now, and my husband lost 30 pounds on his diet (obviously the chocolate cut-down wasn't the only thing he did, but allowing himself to have that small amount kept him from completely abandoning the diet after a week like had happened in the past).

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blue Diamond Almonds. Cinnamon and Sugar or Vanilla Bean.

~28 almonds is one serving which is ~180 calories and only 3g sugar. The (healthy) fat from the almonds will keep you satiated and the flavor is still enough to think you're eating something sweet.

If you really want chocolate, buy a single bar of the good stuff. You know, the $3 Swiss bars or whatever. Place it in the fridge and after dinner when you're craving something sweet, allow yourself 1 or 2 squares. No more. Make the bar last between 1 and 2 weeks. This takes some willpower, but if you just suck on it instead of chewing it up it should just about do the trick (willpower takes the rest).

Really though, get away from sodas. Juices and gatorade are still full of sugar, but they aren't thinning your bones out like soda. Drink Coke-zero or Sprite-zero if you need to ween yourself off them. But even then you're still sucking calcium out of your bones to adjust for the pH imbalance.

Tal on
  • Options
    DavaDava Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dark chocolate or cocoa in moderation should be fine. Cocoa is surprisingly healthy. It's almost entirely fiber, and it contains several nutrients that are hard to find elsewhere. Get a good quality chocolate--no Hershey's--and learn to savor a single piece. No chewing!

I still drink a soda here and there, but I've replaced them for the most part with caffeinated drink mixes. Crystal Light has a couple good ones. I'm also somewhat addicted to Morning Spark, although that one's hard to find in some areas. If you can find it, though, it's pretty awesome. One packet is equivalent to two cups of coffee. Whatever you choose, stay far, far away from sucralose (Splenda). It went on the market without thorough safety testing thanks to a loophole in FDA regulations. Besides, it tastes horrible.

Fruit is great, but sometimes you want something a little more filling. Yogurt is great for that. I also fall back on oatmeal a lot, flavored oatmeal or oatmeal cookies. You can also stock up on those 100 calorie bags of popcorn. They come in butter flavor and kettle corn. I think kettle corn is gross, but for other people with an incurable sweet tooth, it might be a lifesaver.

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Stay away from nasty artificial sweeteners. Go low sugar all natural sweets.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Find things other than sweets that are delicious. Open your mind, and allow yourself to enjoy other things. Soon you will find that sweets aren't actually all that sweet except as an accent.

ViolentChemistry on