As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firefox makes foreign languages ???

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
How do I configure Firefox to show Asian language characters? It just gives me question marks and gets quite annoying.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    How do I configure Firefox to show Asian language characters? It just gives me question marks and gets quite annoying.

I could be wrong, but I believe it's actually an OS level thing. Guessing you're on Windows, in which case I got nothin' for you. I know my Firefox on OS X displays 'foreign' language characters just fine and it wasn't anything I turned on specifically for it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    yotes wrote: »
    Ding. OS X localizes by default, XP does not.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    What? XP just doesn't install Asian fonts unless you tell it to. That's just because they're rather large and useless to people who don't speak them. They're also installable with the CD and a few clicks.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    What? XP just doesn't install Asian fonts unless you tell it to. That's just because they're rather large and useless to people who don't speak them. They're also installable with the CD and a few clicks.
    It's not a negative. Down boy, down.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't even know what you meant really. How does OSX localize by "default"?

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't even know what you meant really. How does OSX localize by "default"?
    1) Install OS X.
    2) Localized!

It's on by default. I don't have to stick in an install CD, go into options and go "hey, include language X".

Satan. on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    OS X just uses Unicode by default instead of TrueType fonts, so there's no need for language packs.

They switched way back in OS 8.5 and now introduced a new unicode engine called Core Text in Leopard.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thx for the advice. I will accomplish this after work. Could a mod please lock this thread so it doesn't degrade into a M$ verses OS X argument, gotta stop the rot before it takes root. :)

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thx for the advice. I will accomplish this after work. Could a mod please lock this thread so it doesn't degrade into a M$ verses OS X argument, gotta stop the rot before it takes root. :)

I don't think that's where we're going at all. You took the first step with the oh-so-clever 'M$' drop, anyway.

Satan. on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    M$ is teh sucks amirite?? :twisted::twisted::emoticon::emoticon:
    Monoxide wrote: »
    OS X just uses Unicode by default instead of TrueType fonts, so there's no need for language packs.

They switched way back in OS 8.5 and now introduced a new unicode engine called Core Text in Leopard.

Unicode is a system for representing abstract characters, and is completely unrelated to fonts. All recent versions of Windows use Unicode. There are a few ancient programs still sticking around that don't use Unicode and require AppLocale, but Firefox is not one of them. OS X still uses TrueType, as far as I know.

Once the OP installs whatever font packs he needs (I install them all, space is cheap) most websites should work. There might be a few sites that have misconfigured encodings and require it set explicitly by the user, but those are rare.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]