As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iron Man: Invincible Upgrade! (WINNERS POSTED)

124»

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    well dmac, even if you don't win, you're going to have to buy that statuette so that i can steal it ok?

Angry on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    looks like he through on about 8 coats of gloss after the hot rod red.

it looks neat.

for some reason, i want to see a crest of some kind going fron the back of his neck to where the red ends on his forehead. but that might be a little much.

i'd definitely like to see the other concept you were thinking of too.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Posting art in the same thread as DMAC is always a recipe for shattered self-esteem, but here's my shot at Iron Man, complete with I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing coloring.

ironmancolored2xk8.png

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually think your headpiece is rad Munch

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks great mate, although I did do a double take when I saw his feet... for a second I thought he had three

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    how long does it normally take these guys to pick their winners?

see317 on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yeah i definitely saw three feet for a while too. i don't see iron man in it munch, but i like it a lot.

Angry on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    make it so he has 6 abs instead of 8 and it'll be a great steampunk looking thing

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hope you don't mind, Munch, but I took a stab at coloring yours. I like the design, it reminds me of Abe from Hellboy. I used your first pencils, as I like the chest and feet more in it.

munchironman.jpg

Also, DMAC, that Iron Madarin is rad.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    The winners have been posted over at Project Rooftop. I made it into the third place category which I guess qualifies me for the Iron Man TPB. Some fun stuff there.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wow some interesting stuff there. Not totally sold on the winner but it's an interesting concept. Funny that the idea of a Steampunk Iron Man was raised and dismissed on this thread and yet that's virtually what ended up winning.

The second place was a surprise... I mean it looks awesome but if someone had shown it to me I wouldn't have known it was supposed to be Iron Man without being told. Where's the hot rod red man??

Congrats on a 3rd place/tier win DMAC, I really liked your design.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the winner isn't steampunk at all

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No, it's not. But it isn't modern either, it's a reimagining of the character as a Howard Hughes style inventor. In my mind there is no difference between submitting that kind of design and submitting a steam punk design, neither of them are going to be relevant to the modern character.

Edit: That doesn't make it bad, just that I thought the point of the comp was to redesign the modern armour... not to completely reimagine the character. Hell, I would have loved to see some steampunk designs.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A lot of cool stuff there. I think the ones by Paul Maybury and Ming Doyle are my favorites. Jon McNally's is pretty excellent too.

And congrats for placing third DMAC.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Everyone needs to see the Jon McNally Iron Man!

im_jon_mcnally1.jpg

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    god that one is so rad

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I'd have had a hard time not giving that one first place.

DMAC on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yours is good too, DMAC

but man

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really liked all of the designs. Some of them have weakspots, but those were already pointed out by the hosts. I really like the idea of Iron Man knock offs and crazy cartoons and whatnot in Japan, which is what McNally has me thinking and Ming did on purpose.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those were all really cool. Iron Man is such an excellent character to design alternate stuff for.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.