As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Southland Tales

ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Okay, here's the situation: I loved Donnie Darko with a passion. I've been waiting on edge for years for Richard Kelly to get off his ass and make another film. I saw the trailer for Southland Tales, and it blew me away. It looked trippy, provocative, and chocked full of great acting and interesting concepts. I loved the trailer so much, it actually made me put aside my borderline psychotic hate for Justin Timberlake.

Then the reviews started trickling in. Now, I've never been one to pay much attention to reviewers (I like to form my own opinion about movies), and I've been known to like many movies that most of the movie-going public hated. That being said, the negative response I've read and heard towards this film has been staggering. I wonder how the creator of such a brilliant film as Darko could possibly make something this crappy. I mean, Darko was complicated and full of mind-fuckery (as many claim Southland is as well), and yet the majority of moviegoers loved it.

My question is this: I love complicated, multi-layered films that I have to think on and form my own conclusions about. I adored Darko. I loved the trailer, I like The Rock, Sean William-Scott, Kevin Smith, and some of the other supporting. That being said, I also don't want to make a shit move by blind-buying this without knowing as much about it as I can (renting isn't an option, don't live anywhere even remotely close to a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video -only a Best Buy). And the very THOUGHT of a Justin Timberlake musical number in the course of the film makes me seethe with rage.

Will I hate this film?
Will I love it?

Opinions are requested...now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
--John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
Zephonate on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    It is my opinion that you should've looked harder before starting this thread.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.