As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On beard growth

oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've foregone shaving for the past two weeks, so my face is on the hairy side. I've gotten a mixed reaction to it, but among those who like it is my girlfriend, and her opinion gets a weighted value.

The problem I'm having with it is, while it's growing in evenly, it seems kind of sparse. I'm 24. Am I doomed to life with a thin beard, or as I get older and crochetier, will I eventually be able to foster growth of a lush chin forest?

oldsak on

• Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I share your pain. I'm also 24 and I'm trying to get some sort of beard going. I got a goetee going, but it it's not very full. I look like a bum basically.

I suggest you talk to your dad or brothers(if you have them) to see how it went for them.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Two weeks isn't enough to grow a proper beard, friend.

Most people suffer from this problem. They hate the way the beard looks, or it doesn't grow in full. This is the middle period, between 'shitty shit teenage facial hair' and 'full, ballsout beard'. Don't shave, shampoo a few times a week (every other day) with warm to hot water.

DONT SHAVE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. THIS MEANS NO TRIMMING, NO SHAVING.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You may just have what I like to call the "Johnny Depp Beard". Thin and doesn't quite grow in correctly on the sides, either.. There's nothing wrong with it. I have it. Most asian people have it.

If you give it a while it will start to fill in a little more. Not all hairs grow at the same rate, and longer beardhairs will help to cover gaps.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shave your neck if you get much there, because neckbeards are gross. Outside of that, just let it all grow in at its own pace, and then start trimming it (preferably with a pair of scissors and a bucket of patience). Not everyone can grow a beard in my accelerated one-week pace.

Maybe post a pic of the beard?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As you get older, it'll fill out.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Two weeks isn't enough to grow a proper beard, friend.

Most people suffer from this problem. They hate the way the beard looks, or it doesn't grow in full. This is the middle period, between 'shitty shit teenage facial hair' and 'full, ballsout beard'. Don't shave, shampoo a few times a week (every other day) with warm to hot water.

DONT SHAVE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. THIS MEANS NO TRIMMING, NO SHAVING.

This advice was good up to the last line in caps. One problem I've seen with younger people growing a beard is they just let it all grow out and look like a woolly scraggly crazed hobo and then wonder why their friends and coworkers rag on them about the beard looking stupid or bad.

For the love of god, just keep it well shaped and maintained. Shave the neck beard and keep nice lines in the cheek area. This will reduce the awkwardness of the odd middle period and you'll look somewhat normal while everything is still growing in. And like above, two weeks isn't enough.

Once it is fully grown, if you decide you don't like it then you have some other options. With all the hair there you could have a giant crazy mustache or even silly mutton chops. Don't just hack it all off at once as there are several funny options of working your way down from the full beard.

Edit: drink more whiskey. Its got to help somehow :)

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes but the problem with that is, they don't let a beard reach the point where it fills in. Instead they shave off everything that has been growing into the patchy areas, and end up looking like they have the mange. If I started trimming, even after a month, my beard would be full of holes. Trim only once your beard has grown in proper.

I suppose I should have given more instructions but premature trimming is the way to make your beard look like shit.

And whiskey doesn't do shit.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm 25, and have grown a beard 3 times in the past year. My advice is just the opposite of everyone here. Shave it and regrow it a couple times. It has worked for me, at least. Each beard has been fuller and thicker than the last.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm 31 and trying to grow a goatee/mustache combo dealie. It definately is growing better than the last time I remember trying which would be about 5 years ago I think so I would say it does get better with age. I think it's been about 3-4 weeks now and it's just now getting to the point where I don't look at myself and say "it looks dumb, maybe I'll shave it off".

I'm determined this will be the time I let it grow in all the way - I am trimming about every three or four days just to keep it from looking like a hobo.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't clip, shave, snip, or trim it for 6 weeks. Just let it grow out and see what you have to work with, cause it gets itchy and annoying in that intermediate stage. You could try trimming down the neck beard, but you risk fucking up the chin/neck interface line. It's just 6 week for chrissakes, and you already got a GF who likes the facial hair so it's not like it's holding you back there.

Then you can go to a barber to trim it right the first time (if you want the full beard, or van-dyke) and then maintain that line yourself. Or go for moustasche, goat, or whatever if you think it's to sparse.

For me facial hair seemed to grow in thicker/fuller after I had already tried to grow out the beard, but I coulda just been imagining things, or just maybe it was just my getting older.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    I'm 25, and have grown a beard 3 times in the past year. My advice is just the opposite of everyone here. Shave it and regrow it a couple times. It has worked for me, at least. Each beard has been fuller and thicker than the last.

Thats a tall tale and there is no scientific proof of this being true, and in my experience, it isn't. I've been shaving since I was 13, and as I got older, my beard got thicker, there was no correspondence between the thickness of my facial hair and the amount I shaved. It gradually got thicker as I got older.
    Shaving does not cause hair to grow back faster, darker or coarser. “Shaving is just a method of cutting the hair at the skin surface and has no effect on the part of the hair shaft below the skin surface, which is where growth and pigmentation occur,” says Hoskyn. “Although the hair may seem to grow faster after shaving, this is just an illusion: a small amount of growth on a clean-shaven face is much more noticeable than a small amount of growth on a bearded face. Likewise, the blunt, stubbly ends of new growth can give the illusion of darker, coarser hair.”

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It depends how old you are. If I let the beard grow, it thickens on its own. It's noticeable when I grow a full beard that I have grown a goatee before because my mustache and chin hair are much thicker and fuller than the rest of my beard.

Treat the hair on your face like the hair on your head. This means go easy on the soap, shampoo it, and condition it (that it makes it softer and less scratchy). This will probably help it. If you plan to keep it, after about 4-6 weeks, invest in a beard trimmer to give it a nice even trim. This will make the hairs more even (for when other hairs start to grow, so the trimmer will make it look fuller and even), as well as remove split ends in your beard, which can happen more frequently and are more noticeable than the hairs on your head. Plus, the trimmer gives you more of a groomed look and less of a mountain man look.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I feel the pain. I decided to go for the goatee for the first time in early February. I'm 23, it's been growing for a solid 8 weeks and it is just now getting to the point where it's not embarrassing to look at. My biggest issue now is trimming it to the shape I want. It grows back so slowly, I'm afraid to trim it too close because it'll take two fucking months to grow it back out. D:

Interesting side note, turns out that I got brown hair from my dad, and the red hair from my mom decided to grow exclusively on the face. Who knew?

jotate on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never knew so many people shared my pain.
    25 here and tried to grow a beard a bit a go. It ended up being a patchy mess.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've never taken the plunge because when I hit the 2/3 week period, I look like an immunodeficiency patient.

It takes guts, because it's a huge commitment. If only I wasn't so vain, I could see how I would look with one.

C'est la vie I suppose.

Keep with it, and give it a good couple months before you come to the conclusion that you can't pull it off.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    jotate wrote: »
    Interesting side note, turns out that I got brown hair from my dad, and the red hair from my mom decided to grow exclusively on the face. Who knew?

Aye, my fathers family is Polish and Lithuanian, giving me very full, black/brown hair. My mothers side is English and Irish. None of the Irish/English traits show up in my hair, except on my chin/other patches of my facial hair. Its strange. In the summer the red hair lightens a ton and looks almost...strawberry blonde. People think I dye my beard. I've met a few others with the same beard discoloration.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not to hijack the thread ...

but to hijack the thread, I've got a nice mountain man beard going on right now, and a buzzed head. How does one go about keeping the entire beard trimmed at a certain length? Just use my 2" clippers from my head trimmer on my face?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Aye, my fathers family is Polish and Lithuanian, giving me very full, black/brown hair. My mothers side is English and Irish. None of the Irish/English traits show up in my hair, except on my chin/other patches of my facial hair. Its strange. In the summer the red hair lightens a ton and looks almost...strawberry blonde. People think I dye my beard. I've met a few others with the same beard discoloration.

Similar issue here. I've got blond hair, but my beard has every color naturally possible. I've got blonde, brown, bright red, white, gray, even jet black. It's really weird. When I have a full beard, I've had some girls comment that I have a lot of gray, and I'm only 30 years old.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Comb (with wide tooth comb) the beard and make a couple passes with your electric trimmers with the attachment/length you want. Go back through with the comb and make a second pass. Go back through and trim with scissors any stray hairs/patches that look odd.

This is how I do it. I might add that the composition of a beard differs from person to person. I have very curly dense facial hair. So I need to comb it all out if I want to trim it, then fluff it back into shape with my hands. If you have very straight hair, combing it probably wont be necessary (it will help align the hair and remove debris).
    Dalboz wrote: »
    Similar issue here. I've got blond hair, but my beard has every color naturally possible. I've got blonde, brown, bright red, white, gray, even jet black. It's really weird. When I have a full beard, I've had some girls comment that I have a lot of gray, and I'm only 30 years old.

All beards are beautiful. My buddy has had grays since he was 15, so it isn't that uncommon I suppose (and he has VERY thick, full hair).

Edit: Also, look here at different beards/styles, just to see how different everyones beard can be.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the advice.

I also have some odd colors in my beard. A little red in the chin, brown around that, then black chops.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's fairly common I have half half a dozen blonde red ones.

But for god sake trim it while you are growing it. It'll take you an extra 2 weeks to fully grow it in. But on the upside you won't look like a twat at all. Having long scraggly bits of hair coming out of your face with a complimenting neck bear makes you look like a fucking dick.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mhm, I've had the full spectrum of hair colors in my beard, and I've been able to get some fairly full beards (And I'm 18). Different people grow hair at different rates, but even if you have trouble with a beard now compared to others, it should fill, even if by that point most of your hairs are grey. ;-)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Edit: Also, look here at different beards/styles, just to see how different everyones beard can be.

Although I love the idea of a National Beard Registry, it's hard to take them seriously when they have Zeus listed in their pictures of famous beards.

Also, I told my wife when I get out of the Army I'm growing a beard. It never fails to be a point of contention.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My buddy has had grays since he was 15, so it isn't that uncommon I suppose (and he has VERY thick, full hair).

isn't that uncommon. had grays all my life even as a child. And for the poster who was surprised of gray hairs at 30.....really?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Your facial hair usually doesn't stablize until your mid-30s.

I have the same problem. The solution is to just keep cutting it until one day it'll be even.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah I've got this too, my hair is nearly jet black, but my beard has quite a lot of red in it.

So the wait and see approach seems to be the consensus. I guess I'll have to give it more time.

oldsak on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I feel the pain. I decided to go for the goatee for the first time in early February. I'm 23, it's been growing for a solid 8 weeks and it is just now getting to the point where it's not embarrassing to look at. My biggest issue now is trimming it to the shape I want. It grows back so slowly, I'm afraid to trim it too close because it'll take two fucking months to grow it back out. D:

Fact. it will always be embarrassing to look at because it's a goatee.

I would say trim it when you need it. You shouldn't be taking all that much off each time, so it shouldn't make it take that much longer, plus it will make it look much better rather than make you look like your 15 trying to grow a beard.

i have one of those dedicated beard trimmers that you can adjust the length by twisting the attachment thing. works great.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Can anyone link to some nice beard trimmers? I'm going to use my hair buzzer later today and see how it works out.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Can anyone link to some nice beard trimmers? I'm going to use my hair buzzer later today and see how it works out.

WAHL beard trimmer

I was able to get this one at a Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $20 and it's been working great for me.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    WAHL beard trimmer

I was able to get this one at a Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $20 and it's been working great for me.

I use a WAHL for my head, but I haven't the slightest idea how to use any of those attachments for a beard.

Google time!

Daemonion on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really only use the adjustable attachment on the WAHL trimmer I linked, setting it at #2 keeps the beard nice and short. The trimmer comes with a little "how to" pamphlet inside the box so they don't leave you completely in the dark about all the accessories.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This 'grooming system' has done me well. Has useful attachments.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have a Panasonic ER206 (which doesn't seem to be available anymore). It's worked pretty well for me. I even use it to keep my eyebrows neat and trimmed.

I've had good luck with Panasonic grooming devices. I have a Panasonic nose hair trimmer, too, which has worked for about 8 or 9 years so far.

Dalboz on