As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird feeling in my throat

Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So the last few days, maybe 4 or 5, I've had this feeling in the back of my throat like someone was lightly pressing on my adams apple, not swollen glands or anything like that just like someone was resting their hand on it. It doesn't hurt at all but it's annoying as hell, does anyone know any reason what might be causing this? I suppose i could go to a doctor but i'd rather not pay out the co-pay if i can avoid it. Oh i'll probably check this rather often so feel free to ask tons of questions.

Cptn Pants on

• Options
    SuperBowserSuperBowser Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do you have a fever or any illness related problem? Does it make you cough/feel like you need to cough constantly? Has anything in your environment changed lately (like moving house)?

It could be quite a lot of things and if it continues for the next few days the only way you'll find out is seeing a doctor.

(I would guess that it's an allergy problem. If your nasal passages get blocked from inflammation, all the mucus gets stuck down your throat, which can give the feeling you described.)

SuperBowser on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

(I would guess that it's an allergy problem. If your nasal passages get blocked from inflammation, all the mucus gets stuck down your throat, which can give the feeling you described.)

This is my guess too, what with spring here, it happens to me every year. Get some saline nasal spray, use it a bunch, it will keep your sinuses open and stop the mucus from drying to that back of your throat. Drink lots of water to so it breaks up the mucus.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well i don't have a fever but sometimes in the morning i feel rather dizzy and like i'm gonna throw up... not sure if that's related. I've moved jobs in the last 6 months, but this just started. I suppose it could be allergies but i haven't been coughing or sneezing at all that i can remember. I remember this happing last year now that you mention it, but not in spring.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cptn Pants wrote: »
    Well i don't have a fever but sometimes in the morning i feel rather dizzy and like i'm gonna throw up... not sure if that's related. I've moved jobs in the last 6 months, but this just started. I suppose it could be allergies but i haven't been coughing or sneezing at all that i can remember. I remember this happing last year now that you mention it, but not in spring.

Dizziness can also occur because the your inflamed sinuses can mess with your inner ear too, hence the dizziness. Also when I have this problem it's never accompanied by coughing or sneezing. Calling it allergies may be a misnomer, it could also be the change in temperature or humidity in the air.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do you ever feel any problem of airflow through the nose?

splash on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is your voice at all affected? Try dissolving a few tea-spoons of salt into a glass of warm water. Gargle with this, trying to get the salt-water as far back into your throat as possible without choking or swallowing, it might be mucous getting stuck to your vocal chords. Also the nausea can be mucous going down your throat which you swallow while sleeping, your stomach wouldn't be too happy about that.

Falx on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Right, if it's going down your throat a lot it can give you an upset stomatch. Because of the sleeping position it probably makes it worse for the morning. But no running nose during the day?

splash on