As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dunno if you guys heard this, but in the Disciple of Khaine video one of the developers mentions the game is going to have a twin targetting system. He says that you can have an enemy and a friend selected at the same time. so your offensive abilities will go against the enemy you have targeted, and if you cast a heal, it will go to your ally target.

I think that's a pretty badass mechanic that really makes targeting a bit more streamlined.

I was leaning toward playing a Disciple, but was concerned that healing others might be hard with having to attack an enemy the target an ally to heal. It sounded clunky at the least. This alleviates my fears a bit.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yathrin wrote: »
    Dunno if you guys heard this, but in the Disciple of Khaine video one of the developers mentions the game is going to have a twin targetting system. He says that you can have an enemy and a friend selected at the same time. so your offensive abilities will go against the enemy you have targeted, and if you cast a heal, it will go to your ally target.

I think that's a pretty badass mechanic that really makes targeting a bit more streamlined.

I was leaning toward playing a Disciple, but was concerned that healing others might be hard with having to attack an enemy the target an ally to heal. It sounded clunky at the least. This alleviates my fears a bit.

Well one of the things he was saying was that healers that would be in melee a lot would have more AoE heals and fewer single target heals, simply because, as you said, it would be hard to heal people while in melee. Of course the dual targeting system would make that a lot easier for what single target heals you DO have. On the other side, ranged or backline support/healers would have fewer AoE heals, and more direct heals.

Dissociater on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you watch the rest of the video they go on to explain how DoK aren't really going to be healers as much as they are going to ease healing for the real healers.

AOE heals, lifetap proc auras, direct lifetaps, group hots, but nothing really to keep a target up as just help smooth out heals.

narv107 on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've finally watched the swordmaster video. Cool stuff; I like the idea of a "magic tank", and he seems to reference racial abilities.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • mora1mora1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since we're on the subject of the Disciple and pvp it seems like a good time to link this video from the Paris convention. It's a pretty decent length clip of the "Phoenix Gate" scenario from the Disciple's p.o.v.

Also, anyone catch the Swordmaster at 2:17? Looks like they might have some sort of jump and slash attack. Either that or it's just some dude jumping manually while he is attacking.

mora1 on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, these healers are pretty tough, and actually seem to be damn fine in melee and up close to the combat. That's going to be really interesting.

Btw, any word on what engine WAR is going to be running on? I remember that because Mythic bought an already ready to go engine from someone else, they actually ended up having some, pretty much unfixable problems for DAoC. Like Pet Pathing over bridges, losing your pets in spots of keeps and such. Also, until recently, a lot of the water mechanics were screwy, like you couldn't actually see into the water, it was just a really pretty shader effect but was also opaque, however, if you were on the surface, someone dived down below you could attack you, but you could not even target them unless you went down into the water. Kind of stupid how a lot of these problems have been around since they were added to the game and just now are being addressed/not being addressed. IIRC, it was called Gamebryo.

Lucky Cynic on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the link Mora, the stuff at the end with the faction leaders and the Bright College were really cool too.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    so these are the first videos ive seen in forever and man this looks a lot like wow in motion.

Angry on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Link?

-edit- nvm

Sami on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    so these are the first videos ive seen in forever and man this looks a lot like wow in motion.
    The mechanics are the same.

815165 on
    edited April 2008

Eh? I don't see it at all. Way more detail and vastly worse, clunky animations. Maybe in stylized models and art? But that was a given.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

*ducks and covers*

EDIT: Aah, people beat me to it.

maraxus94 on
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

Eh? I don't see it at all. Way more detail and vastly worse, clunky animations. Maybe in stylized models and art? But that was a given.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that they're working on more varied animations. That, imo, is WoW's greatest asset as far as presentation goes. The attention to detail in the animations is just staggering-- go fight a treant mob some time and watch it's face. It changes expression when it gets hit. That's craziness.

Sami on
    edited April 2008
    Ok I definitely want to be a Disciple of Khaine.

Named Thugnificent.

Sami on
    edited April 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    The mechanics are the same.

They're just like DAoC too. And WoW. And EQ2. And SWG. And EQ.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    IIRC DAoC had on next swing abilities and no GCD, but it's been years since I played it.

e: ooh and it had those cool bow mechanics!

815165 on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i just watched the swordmaster video and saw the ui and the autoswing and just thought man this looks a lot like world of warcraft. of course i'm not trying to insinuate it's ripping off wow or will play just like it, but that swordmaster video looked almost exactly i remember the last time i played wow.

the combo system for swordmaster looks really fun. i loved my berserker in ac2 and the ridiculously long combos.

Angry on
    edited April 2008
    I can see that, though I'd also add that it looks pretty much like most MMOs ever, especially the UI.

The swordmaster combos do look cool.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    More like WoWhammer AMIRITE?!?!?!

As it stands now, the autoattack looks like it's animation is the same. That's about my only gripe, but it's not even finished yet, so it's not like it matters.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    WAR's UI reminds me so much of WoW, which reminds me so much of DAoC, which reminds me so much of EQ

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    WAR's UI reminds me so much of WoW, which reminds me so much of DAoC, which reminds me so much of EQ

ZOMG TEH RIP OFF!*

*Not in reference to anyone on this thread.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The UI reminds me more of Guild Wars than WoW. As long as it's customizable it's all good with me.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know what this wait reminds me of? The wait for jesus to come back to fucking life.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    You know what this wait reminds me of? The wait for jesus to come back to fucking life.

He already did, but didn't get a promised beta slot. He gave up and died again already.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

He already did, but didn't get a promised beta slot. He gave up and died again already.

God hates a quiter.

Oddjob187 on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    didn't jesus only take a week to come back to life?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    jesus got a /ginvite to heaven. he's raiding with the big boys now.

Unknown User on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He's still waiting for the Armageddon expansion so he can go on his promised Rapture quest.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited April 2008
    Damn it you guys.

WAR is making me resub to CoH.

If this makes any sense.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited April 2008
    I just hope that the game has enough PvE and other relatively static stuff to keep me busy. I mean, how many times can I keep going thru a Public Quest before it gets stupid and boring.

Also, I really do hope that the city sieges are like the relics in DAoC. I mean like it really takes a good effort to beat the shit out of the enemy and then push them to the very furthest and last line of defense, and then beat them there and make off with their stuff. In DAoC, this could very well kill all of Saturday night from around 7pm to about 2pm. I just want it so that when we get into the city, it's sort of like, "Whoo guys! We made it! Bonus Round! Okay, fuck work tomorrow, one more hour for WAR!"

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    I just hope that the game has enough PvE and other relatively static stuff to keep me busy. I mean, how many times can I keep going thru a Public Quest before it gets stupid and boring.

Also, I really do hope that the city sieges are like the relics in DAoC. I mean like it really takes a good effort to beat the shit out of the enemy and then push them to the very furthest and last line of defense, and then beat them there and make off with their stuff. In DAoC, this could very well kill all of Saturday night from around 7pm to about 2pm. I just want it so that when we get into the city, it's sort of like, "Whoo guys! We made it! Bonus Round! Okay, fuck work tomorrow, one more hour for WAR!"

It's a whole race's city.

I seriously doubt taking one over is going to be like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Damn it you guys.

WAR is making me resub to CoH.

If this makes any sense.

my room mate tried to pull this shit with me. frankly i find the game utterly useless.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
    edited April 2008

It's a whole race's city.

I seriously doubt taking one over is going to be like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

No no, I know. I just am not putting it into the right words...

If anything, I want it to not end in that one sitting that one night. I want "Yeah! We took the last keep! Now to their city!" and then about an hour later, "Whoo! We're in, alright, public quests!" then an hour later, "Nother public quest! Sweet loot!" and then "Yes! Pillaging and looting!" and then "Whoo! Got their king!"

Ugh, the words fail me. If any of you guys remember DAoC. The ML9 raid would take, hooo, a good 4 hours, at least... but this one time we did it, some dudes found the ML10 portal that hops around like right after we had done the raid. So at like 11:00 at night, we go onwards and part take on ANOTHER full raid, averaging another good 3-4hours. That's the kinda thing I want in WAR. Shit that just keeps on coming and coming, even though it is 2 in the morning and you've already did what you set out to do in the first place but still are there and fighting.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Btw, this entire page is full of win. I love Paul's phone blogs.

http://warherald.warhammeronline.com/videoblog/blog2006.php

Lucky Cynic on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Don't most people NOT want to be forced to sell their social life, hygiene, and soul in order to participate in endgame content?

Garthor on
    edited April 2008
    Lucky, it's not going to end in one sitting.

I think I had heard something like 12 hours, and from there the races take back their respective cities.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited April 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    Don't most people NOT want to be forced to sell their social life, hygiene, and soul in order to participate in endgame content?

WHO ARE YOU AND HOW DID YOU GET IN HERE?!

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Lucky, it's not going to end in one sitting.

I think I had heard something like 12 hours, and from there the races take back their respective cities.

The more I am reading up on the cities, it seems that way, but always in Camelot, after a successful Relic raid, the enemies nearly always reclaimed back a shitton of their keeps and stuff back very late and over night. I'm just not quite sure how it will really work with the Cities.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    The way I understand it is that once someone takes your cities/whatever, it's harder for you to take them back.

Hence the system rolling time back as if nothing had happened.

edit: Wait. Does anyone know if when you take your city back it has the same level as it was before?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited April 2008
    The way I understand it is that once someone takes your cities/whatever, it's harder for you to take them back.

Hence the system rolling time back as if nothing had happened.

edit: Wait. Does anyone know if when you take your city back it has the same level as it was before?

Actually, Mark has said that it will not "Just reset". It will gradually become easier for the players to recapture their own town, but it will still require effort and won't just flip back. And no, you will not take back the city at the same level. If you did, then if you managed to get your city to level 5, how exactly would it go back down and then back up? :P

Lucky Cynic on
This discussion has been closed.