As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Countdown: Out with a whimper

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Call me a dick but I still don't think she deserves to be Bat-anything. Has anything interesting been done with her since 52? Because in that she was pretty much just existed as something for Montoya to pine over and that was the sum of her personality.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    She's in that Crime Bible miniseries that no one reads (except Keith and Karma probably).

Can't think of anything else she's been in.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It seems like they originally wanted to give her an ongoing series after 52 that would expand on her and make her more than just "that lesbian bat-character", but they keep delaying it, so she pretty much still lacks a defined personality and motivation. I really doubt that the Batwoman project will ever happen at this point. And in any case, they kinda missed the window of opportunity to cash in on the media attention surrounding her.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I didnt I hear something about a stack of Rucka-written scripts for a Batwoman series that have been effectivley buried? I swear I saw something about that somewhere.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    I think the window of media attention probably closed after the first five minutes of the story being on the news.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Checking in on this thread. I thought it would be amusing if Batman just found out about her (or realize everyone hadn't just been joking with him. "Right, it's this lesbian that dresses like you. She totally did Montoya, too!") when they both show up for the same team. And then he proceeds to beat the shit out of her to show her she's nowhere close.

Then I thought it would probably be a lot more amusing if he had one of his sidekicks do it for him. Getting her ass handed to her by Robin/Nightwing/whoever is still around would have to be pretty embarrassing. Not that I've been keeping up and would know if something like this has already happened...I can hope, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like how Jason Todd threw out the Red Robin costume, though it makes me wonder what the point of it was in the first place if it wasn't meant to signal a new direction for the character.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    I like how Jason Todd threw out the Red Robin costume, though it makes me wonder what the point of it was in the first place if it wasn't meant to signal a new direction for the character.

You mean like Mary going from good to evil to good to evil?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Call me a dick but I still don't think she deserves to be Bat-anything. Has anything interesting been done with her since 52? Because in that she was pretty much just existed as something for Montoya to pine over and that was the sum of her personality.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Yeah I didnt I hear something about a stack of Rucka-written scripts for a Batwoman series that have been effectivley buried? I swear I saw something about that somewhere.

You did hear about that Bale. I mentioned it like 3-4 posts above yours and Rucka mentioned it in a few different interviews. Its not just finished scripts its COMPLETED COMICS. Like written, penciled, inked, colored, and lettered. Something like 4-5 complete issues.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't been to the comic book store yet and I don't plan on buy Countdown anyway, so could someone give me the geist of what happened this week?

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    I think Wizard's website (wizarduniverse.com) runs a weekly column on what happened in Countdown during the past week (which they do for most everything, actually)

EDIT: http://www.wizarduniverse.com/040208cdownroundup.html

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tank wrote: »
    I haven't been to the comic book store yet and I don't plan on buy Countdown anyway, so could someone give me the geist of what happened this week?

Everything that was done was undone.

Munch on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Er, I've only been following Countdown infrequently, so let me ask: Mary Marvel - what was the point of all that?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wildcat wrote:
    Er, I've only been following Countdown infrequently, so let me ask: Mary Marvel - what was the point of all that?

achewood1kx6.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Jimmy can totally see Darkseid's junk in the third panel

I like Freddie Williams II's art, but he has a knack for making everyone look extremely young

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of Darkseid, I desperately hope the last issue of Death of the New Gods involves this in some way:
    1207775305893uh1.jpg

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cheezus H Christ does the preview for next week's issue look bad. Way to kill all of the civilians on that bridge, Jimmy!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Y'know, thinking about it, I guess Jimmy really wouldn't care, since he just got finished annihilating an entire world a few issues back.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did it ever say what Earth Number that was that got turned into Kamandi World? They used to print the current Earth the Challengers were on right on the covers but they didn't for that one.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did it ever say what Earth Number that was that got turned into Kamandi World? They used to print the current Earth the Challengers were on right on the covers but they didn't for that one.
    They wanted to keep a secret that it wasn't actually New Earth, so I don't think they did. Also, I'm pretty sure they switched whether New Earth was Earth 0 or Earth 1

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    They wanted to keep a secret that it wasn't actually New Earth, so I don't think they did. Also, I'm pretty sure they switched whether New Earth was Earth 0 or Earth 1

I'm pretty sure Carlin mentioned in one of Newsarama's Counting Down interviews that it was the reborn Earth-51.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Considering there's only 2 issues left, can we all agree that the only none-shit storyline was Piper/Trickster's, and that was mediocre at best?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It was non-shit until right at the end when Piper was on Apokolips and oh my god what the fuck?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Possible Countdown #2 spoilers from Newsarama via CBR.
    * Darkseid vs. Jimmy
    * Ray finds the soul collector in Jimmy and destroys it
    * Boom Tube opens and out comes..........ORION (he survived his "death" in DOTNG #6 after all...possibly connected to Ray destroying the collector)
    * Orion fights Darkseid, rejecting help from Superman and others
    * and the issue ends when Orion...........KILLS DARKSEID.

......yeah.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Possible Countdown #2 spoilers from Newsarama via CBR.
    * Darkseid vs. Jimmy
    * Ray finds the soul collector in Jimmy and destroys it
    * Boom Tube opens and out comes..........ORION (he survived his "death" in DOTNG #6 after all...possibly connected to Ray destroying the collector)
    * Orion fights Darkseid, rejecting help from Superman and others
    * and the issue ends when Orion...........KILLS DARKSEID.

......yeah.

Wow, that might be worth picking up today.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Considering there's only 2 issues left, can we all agree that the only none-shit storyline was Piper/Trickster's, and that was mediocre at best?

this is what i have been saying all year

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nogs wrote: »

this is what i have been saying all year

The worst part of it is that it went nowhere. It had a lot of potential to be a great storyline and then they pretty much dropped it about halfway through the series.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In #2, starting when
    Orion shows up
    it looked like Scott Kolins was trying to do Frank Miller's art style

edit: example (spoilers, of course)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, is this issue worth getting just for
    Darkseid dying?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    no issue of countdown is worth getting.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ever.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Think of it this way -

COUNTDOWN, or what it represents to retailers, is the reason that YOUNG JUSTICE was cancelled. It's the reason that any of your favorite titles could be cancelled. Why? Because retailers have a finite amount of dollars to tie up in product, and instead of using those dollars to support/sell quality books, they buy more COUNTDOWN.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, if in this issue
    Darkseid dies
    , how does that work with what Morrison has said in that Final Crisis interview posted in another thread? Doesn't this conflict with what that character's involvement in Final Crisis supposed to be like?
    Does Darkseid really die, or is it a fakeout? If he dies, though, can I expect Orion to take his place, a la Kingdom Come?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sure it's a ruse- there's a deus ex machina waiting around somewhere.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Darkseid is one of the DCU's most important villains, I really doubt they'd permanently get rid of him, especially not in the shit rag known as Countdown.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Darkseid is the main villain in Final Crisis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seriously this entire countdown stuff must be a long time april 1 joke or something. I just read the issue,

Stuff at newsrama are
    Real, Darkseed really dies for good.

Ok something major something big happened but still what the hell. There were some dialog boxes that really made my day.

About Dialogs
    Ok there is this scene where giant sized Darkseid and Jimmy fighting in metropolis. And it is one of those flaws where heroes get tossed around as if they are baseballs.So long story short, bridges are falling down, buildings are collapsing. At best thousands are probably dead. And we have this tv lady whom reports the incident.
    awesomemd7.jpg
    About Art ( And dialogues for some)
    And my another complaint is about the art. I will not comment on it just check it out
    oocoh7.jpg

Dreamon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Darkseid is the main villain in Final Crisis

Is... is he? What about Libra?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png