As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember Paul saying the system they are putting place is like at the end of most fighting games.

Round end.

START

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I demand that Mythic takes 500 million dollars (Puts pinky to corner of mouth) and remake the entire game so that combat isnt just random slashing. There will be actual blocks and parrys ala MXO.

For crying out loud its 2008. Sword and Board games should be getting away from this auto attack for the most damage to win crap. >:{

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    MXO's combat system was flawed in the way that it handled multiple mobs whilst trying to melee. Unless they would be able to actually make it applicable to a heavily PVP influenced game..

No thanks.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, this is pure gold. I was chatting with my friend and showed him some screens of the Orkz. He asked me if they were always "so dirty like that" or "Do they have more noble character models?"

I don't think I have laughed so hard in months!

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Hahahaha.

Noble Orcs.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I think your friend wants to play a High Elf.

Garthor on
    edited April 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    Yeah, I think your friend wants to play a High Elf.

I always suspected that he was gay.

No really, his reply and defense was, "Ive always seen Warhammer orcs all in huuuge shiny armor. Whats all this pointy stuff that your showing now?"

And then like have a second later:

"and why are u laughing?"

Apparently the only Ork he has seen was this one. :lol:

Lucky Cynic on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, this is pure gold. I was chatting with my friend and showed him some screens of the Orkz. He asked me if they were always "so dirty like that" or "Do they have more noble character models?"

YOU BOYZ IZ NOT POLISHIN' YER ARMER 'NUFF. WE'Z GOTTA 'PRESS DEM OOMIES WIV AR NOB-ITY. YOU'Z NOT NOBBY 'NUFF!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

"I say, I'm feeling a bit unsound. Shall we go rustle up some stunties and kick some jibblies?"
    "Capital idea! Let's have ourselves a dignified waaagh."

Jebu on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jebu wrote: »

"I say, I'm feeling a bit unsound. Shall we go rustle up some stunties and kick some jibblies?"

more tea for the tea god.

Ash-Housewares on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh man. If I were to play on an RP server, this is precisely what I would do. Gentleman orcs, hippy dark elves... un-chaosy chaos....

TEA FOR THE TEA GOD! SCONES FOR THE SCONE THRONE!

Garthor on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay, now I want the guild to be called <Scones for the Scone Throne>

Scosglen on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    ALL YOUZ DUM GITZ GOTTA LISSEN TO ME. IVE GOT DA SHINIEST ARMOR SO I IZ DA BOZZ.

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    Hey guys, was this the interview with Daniel Kaiser from GT that spawned the sunglasses meme? They mentioned it was an interview with GT in a small room with bright lights...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/16663.html

Lucky Cynic on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eh? I don't see it at all. Way more detail and vastly worse, clunky animations. Maybe in stylized models and art? But that was a given.

I agree, I don't see how anyone can look at new vids and screenies from WAR and still say "that looks like WoW!".

People need to go play other MMOs. Of course it on some level resembles WoW, seeing as WAR is a fantasy game with dwarfs, elves and orcs. But it is readily noticeable that the graphics are far superior to WoW's.

And I honestly do not understand all the flak for the animations. The animations look great. Some people have extremely unrealistic expectations I think.

Selner on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For one, I bought the CE within hours of hearing of it. I received my codes from Gamestop (ordered online) a few days after the actual preorder.

For two, WAR is a rather odd hype enigma for me. Whenever I read or see something about it, I am compelled to read it and anything else I can find. But if I don't see or read something about it, it slips my mind. I believe this is a defense mechanism to prevent me from exploding from impatience.

Dondums on
    internet
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dondums wrote: »
    For one, I bought the CE within hours of hearing of it. I received my codes from Gamestop (ordered online) a few days after the actual preorder.

For two, WAR is a rather odd hype enigma for me. Whenever I read or see something about it, I am compelled to read it and anything else I can find. But if I don't see or read something about it, it slips my mind. I believe this is a defense mechanism to prevent me from exploding from impatience.

You, sir, have evolved.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
    edited April 2008
    So, Crafting.

(horrible French babel fish translation follows)
    Another part of the play which one did not really have the occasion to see, it is the craft industry; will it be possible to manufacture potions, armours, weapons?

Kate Flack: It is still an element which will orbit around the combat, of the war. You will not sew hat or cook delicious cakes, but you will brew potions, improve your stats or improve your armor

Josh Drescher: The system of kraft will let to you make things like culture, with a garden which one literally carries on us constantly because one did not want that the players are obliged to go in a field, to seek a bush, to collect the fruits on the bush, etc. There you leave just your garden, you plant seeds, you sprinkle them, fertilize and collect and one can use the product in correlation with the system of apothecary, for example, to make potions.

But at will no time one create armours or of weapons?

Josh Drescher: Indeed, there will be no creation of weapons and things in the same taste.

Source: http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000065547/

If someone speaks French and can translate better, go ahead :) .

Selner on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Ahahahahaha oh god. :^:

Re: crafting. So basically they don't want you to do silly un-warlike things like sewing hats, but GARDENING is okay?

Gardening sounds like fun though I can't quite see my disciple out there doing that.

riz on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's a good enough translation there Selner from what I can tell from reading the interview.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A "garden you carry on you" probaby just means everything is self contained. No standing in fields throwing seeds, but rather carrying a bag full of bloody animal skins, knives, and chemicals for curing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I kinda like the way that sounds. Imagine finding a random seed at the bottom of a chaos dungeon, and then running around with it growing in your backpack. They could do things like if you wait too long to harvest it, the next time you log in you have to fight your way out of a venus fly trap that is attempting to eat you.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Josh Drescher: The system of kraft will let to you make things like culture, with a garden which one literally carries on us constantly because one did not want that the players are obliged to go in a field, to seek a bush, to collect the fruits on the bush, etc. There you leave just your garden, you plant seeds, you sprinkle them, fertilize and collect and one can use the product in correlation with the system of apothecary, for example, to make potions.
    Moar liek Warharvestmoon Online m i rite?!?

This actually sounds like fun, even if the image of some Black Orc daintily planting herbs in his vegetable garden goes against everything I know and love. However, if the Orc instead plants by pounding seeds into the ground with the butt of his axe, waters by stomping stuntie blood into the soil, and harvests with a blade, then we have another story entirely.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited April 2008
    so it sounds like they dont plan to add any type of smithing? that kinda stinks, imo

Unknown User on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Armour and weapon smithing really should be included, I hope they change their minds on that. :(

815165 on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why? The equipment that people can craft never seems to be as good as equipment that drops.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
    edited April 2008
    DAoC begs to differ.

Unknown User on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Item balance aside, it'd be miles more interesting than the growing plants stuff, plus alot of people enjoy crafting their own armour and shit.

815165 on
    edited April 2008
    so it sounds like they dont plan to add any type of smithing? that kinda stinks, imo

Yeah, that was the part that bummed me out. No craftable weapons or armor.

From the other vids, we know we get Butchering (humanoid corpses) and Harvesting (non-humanoid corpses) for Gathering stuff.
    Then we get Cultivating to grow mushrooms and weeds and other things that are not flowers.

You then have Apothecary which is the only profession. It makes potions and lotions from the Gathered stuff, and the Cultivated stuff.

So the economy will basically be based on consumables. And *everyone* will be doing it I imagine (at least in the beginning).

To me, this tells me that Crafting basically got axed as they couldn't properly by release. Potion and consumables is a little easier to to IMO, so they went with that so that they could have some kind of player crafting.

Hopefully, this is something they will work on for free-content updates.
    DAoC begs to differ

Yeah, everyone wore Spellcrafted stuff in DAoC. It was the only way to fill out Templates.

Selner on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh man. If I were to play on an RP server, this is precisely what I would do. Gentleman orcs, hippy dark elves... un-chaosy chaos....

...damnit, you guys.

See, now I almost want to play orcs, just to do that. (Wouldn't normally want to play them, but the "genteel, proper English orc squad" idea would almost bypass my normal hatred for them.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Guys. Orcs. Monocles.

Think about it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    DAoC begs to differ.

Ahh, I never played that one. UO was also good in that regard.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    what I'd give to play a black orc in a top hat

kaleedity on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Don't forget the tophat and cane. I can picture it now.

On a demolish stone battlement in a mountain pass two huge orcs perched on antique chairs far too small. A small white table with a lace cloth draped on it. Hand painted china tea sets and polished silver utensils that look like doll items in their huge hands.

"I say Reginald, what is that bit of cloud gathering on the horizon? Do you suppose we shall have bit of the 'duck weather' as they say?"

"Oh but indubitably we shall"

"By jove, what is that? Is that a caravan of those human folk down by the babbling brook?"

"I dare say that it is, old fellow"

"Oh but I was so enjoying my Earl Grey. I suppose there is nothing for it. We must needs be playing our part I should say"

"Would that we could take some of these delicious cucumber sandwiches with us"

"Bugger it all that would be splendid, but we must be to arms, we shan't want to be found to have let them give us the slip"

"If we must"

"Alright then, good sir, after you"

"Why thank you..... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH"

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

EDIT: Beat'd to the tophat

narv107 on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think it was more saying that if smithing is in, it won't occur in the same way as making potions.

Oats on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    narv107 wrote: »
    "Would that we could take some of these delicious cucumber sandwiches with us"

Goddamn that ad is stuck in my head...

Oats on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What I really like about DAoC's crafting system is how the info box of crafted items had the crafter's name in it.

That was about it. Crafting is so dull.

Accualt on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am more eager (eagerer?) to play this game now than ever. I've been watching too many videos and reading too many write-ups. At this point I'm probably setting myself up for a huge disappointment, but we'll see.

I can't remember too much of the earlier parts of the thread, but is anyone else really looking forward to the Zealot? The whole bird idea is really neat to me, and plus I always like characters that dabble in the darker side of things. So much so that I was content with launch-era warlocks. Too bad they had to go and get overpowered, oh well.

Anyway, I like the idea you guys have going with the aristocratic Orcs. I'm slightly remembering something like a cartoon or movie using this idea, though it wasn't to a very large extent. Hm. Trying to make a relevant post instead of just writing about how much I really, really, super duperly want this game.....

Oh, and is it too late to apply to the Six Mouths? I'd been following the thread (and very randomly posting in it) for a while now, ever since TSM first started, I believed. I didn't apply cause Witch Hunters (and their hats) were my previous fascination, but I've really lost interest in them and started to love the Greenskins and Chaos.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Oh, and is it too late to apply to the Six Mouths? I'd been following the thread (and very randomly posting in it) for a while now, ever since TSM first started, I believed. I didn't apply cause Witch Hunters (and their hats) were my previous fascination, but I've really lost interest in them and started to love the Greenskins and Chaos.

We have new applications almost every day which are always welcomed. Come join the Waaaaaagh!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    I am more eager (eagerer?) to play this game now than ever. I've been watching too many videos and reading too many write-ups. At this point I'm probably setting myself up for a huge disappointment, but we'll see.

I can't remember too much of the earlier parts of the thread, but is anyone else really looking forward to the Zealot? The whole bird idea is really neat to me, and plus I always like characters that dabble in the darker side of things. So much so that I was content with launch-era warlocks. Too bad they had to go and get overpowered, oh well.

I'm certian it's going to be zealot for me. I look forward to desecrating the ground under Orders feet all while boilstering my allies.

All will hear me sing the with a chorus of birds as I herald the Changer of Ways.

I look forward to growing my own plants too, you know have a little garden in my pocket. Horticulture really is a nice hobby.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
This discussion has been closed.