As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain America Must Reads?

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
So, I started reading the various Civil War books about a week ago, after a friend recommended them to me. I really, really liked them, especially considering I only knew about the more popular names in the Marvel Universe until then, i.e. the ones the movies were about. I liked Captain America most of all though, and after checking out his comics in the sticky thread, I found myself wanting more. Are there any compilations or stand alone issues that deal with his origin, his discovery, buckey's death, that sort of thing?

wY6K6Jb.gif
Indie Winter on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Get the Captain America Omnibus by Ed Brubaker

(this is the sort of thing the questions thread is for)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    While I agree that the Omnibus is a great place to start story-wise, there's got to be something better and smaller to recommend that doesn't retail for $75.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well Amazon has it for under 50

If he dosen't want to buy it all in one big chunk in a spiffy oversized hardback edition, there's always the trades - starting with Winter Soldier Vol 1

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had an issue of Captain America in which a werewolf Cap fought Cable for some reason.

I don't know if that's really what you're going for here.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I started with the Trades but really wished I'd have bought the Omnibus. All in all the trades are probably going to cost you more anyway.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you can track down a copy, get WAR AND REMEMBERANCE, which collects the Stern/Byrne CAPTAIN AMERICA run (#247-255). And as Bale mentioned, pick up the Brubaker collections in whatever form you prefer (personally, I'd go with the oversized Omnibus, if I had to do it all over - it's worth it).

No bullshit, Brubaker is writing the definitive run of the character.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Steranko's run is pretty solid and I have a soft spot for any of the Baron Zemo stories. The Ultimates version is pretty damn awesome, but he's clearly not "our" Cap, personality and methods-wise.

The entire Brubaker run is one of the best comic runs I've ever had the pleasure of reading and you can get the omni for pretty damn cheap on Amazon or eBay. While the list price is like $99 or something retarded, it sells for like $40-50 range, which is incredible for the oversized omnibus with awesome extras. It's got like 30 issues in it I think with the Winter Kills and other random one-shots and the #1-25 run collected. I don't particularly care for Cap one way or another and I rank this as the best comic on the stands right now.

Mark Waid's run is pretty good as well. It hink Operation Rebirth, Man Without A Country and To Serve and Protect are thet rades. Could be mroe, but I thinkt here's only 3 of them. Ron Garney did the pencils on this run.

I've never read the 4th volume with John Cassaday on pencils, but heard it was rather average to mediocre.

There's also his Avengers related appearances that you might be interested in. I can't recall any Cap centric storylines though. I'm sure he was prominent in Attack on Avengers Mansion vs the Masters of Evil though.

Oh, there's also the old Secret Empire and Nomad trades. I don't think they hold up that well by today's standards, but are classic Cap stories, nonetheless.

KVW on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    I've never read the 4th volume with John Cassaday on pencils, but heard it was rather average to mediocre.

i read the first trade of that and i liked it. it wasn't great, but cap beats up some terrorists with cassaday's pretty pencils and at the end of the day, sometimes that's enough.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I bought the omnibus after I read issue #34 and I absolutely loved every second of it. There's pretty much no reason not to get it, unless you can't spare $45, especially considering that all of Brubaker's issues are kind of forming one long epic.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Brubaker is the truest of pimps

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The old Essentials are filled with Kirby art and Lee craziness.

Do those.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    All Brubaker, all the time.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png